Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 PM

311 posts, read 347,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB_NW View Post
Lots of affordable homes in good suburbs like West Linn, and Tigard. Good schools, low crime and the older homes have large, private and quiet lots. Don't understand the attraction of living in NE and paying outrageous prices for older, smaller homes on small lots, with higher crime.
Seems like homes in those areas are still $400,000+ these days. I guess "affordable" is relative. We're doing pretty well and that is the most we want to spend. Of course the bank tells us we can "afford" much more, ha!

As for the attraction of inner Portland, I second the walkability, sidewalks, stuff to do around every corner. For us it is also the community we've built here over the past 12 years--hard to leave that behind for the 'burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:06 AM

43 posts, read 46,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
As for the attraction of inner Portland, I second the walkability, sidewalks, stuff to do around every corner. For us it is also the community we've built here over the past 12 years--hard to leave that behind for the 'burbs.

I agree... walkability is a quality that should not be poo-pooed or overlooked. Studies have shown that living in highly walkable areas is better for long-term health (mental and physical). I would not want to live in a neighborhood where I'd have to get in my car for every outing. I think it would feel isolating and rather depressing. The show "Weeds" comes to mind (the first season. If anyone is familiar with that show, you know what I'm talking about). I could care less about "hipness" factor, though. But I don't think walkability automatically equals "hip"neighborhood.

I thought this was an interesting read: How our housing choices make adult friendships more difficult - Vox

Old 09-12-2016, 11:22 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,897,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieNfamily View Post
I agree... walkability is a quality that should not be poo-pooed or overlooked. Studies have shown that living in highly walkable areas is better for long-term health (mental and physical). I would not want to live in a neighborhood where I'd have to get in my car for every outing. I think it would feel isolating and rather depressing. The show "Weeds" comes to mind (the first season. If anyone is familiar with that show, you know what I'm talking about). I could care less about "hipness" factor, though. But I don't think walkability automatically equals "hip"neighborhood.

I thought this was an interesting read: How our housing choices make adult friendships more difficult - Vox
My hood in Beaverton is actually very walkable. I am very close to bus stops, as well. My hubby takes a bus and the train to the airport weekly. Our neighbors walk and run in our hood all day long. The burbs can vary just like city hoods.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,617,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
My hood in Beaverton is actually very walkable. I am very close to bus stops, as well. My hubby takes a bus and the train to the airport weekly. Our neighbors walk and run in our hood all day long. The burbs can vary just like city hoods.
Same here. I'm pretty suburban near Washington Square, and we can walk to a lot of stuff, including the Fanno Creek Trail.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Same here. I'm pretty suburban near Washington Square, and we can walk to a lot of stuff, including the Fanno Creek Trail.
That's a great trail. It's true that there are alot of suburbanites that literally live in their cars but you can easily CHOOSE a more healthy lifestyle.😀

Old 09-12-2016, 09:40 PM

311 posts, read 347,564 times
Quote:
I've noticed the newer burbs are much more walkable than older ones, and much more so than much of unincorporated Washington county. I like S Beaverton for that reason!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
I've noticed the newer burbs are much more walkable than older ones, and much more so than much of unincorporated Washington county. I like S Beaverton for that reason!
I can walk to about ten restaurants, mostly independent businesses, in less than ten minutes. I could walk to Cinetopia and Big Al's in about 30 minutes. I can walk to the grocery store. Not bad.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:04 AM

32,606 posts, read 47,873,838 times
Eight pages in and I am still waiting to hear why Californians deserve better than Portland.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:38 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,995,332 times
Quote:
I can walk to about ten restaurants, mostly independent businesses, in less than ten minutes. I could walk to Cinetopia and Big Al's in about 30 minutes. I can walk to the grocery store. Not bad.
That's pretty neat. Do many people make the longer walks when it is raining?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
That's pretty neat. Do many people make the longer walks when it is raining?
We do everything in the rain. It doesn't really pour down most of he year. During the darkest part of winter I see people in my hood, especially 60 and older, wearing reflective gear and running on the sidewalks. You feel the presence of Nike out here. 😀
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland