Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 10:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiA View Post
Spoke to the school district.. seems there is no chance of early entry as the latest birth date for appearing for assessment is 1st Oct and she misses this by 3 weeks..
So basically this year we need to put her in some pvt kindergarten and enrol in spring for next year public schooling..

So I guess we can look at staying in an area fed by the better schools, since we can apply only for next year..
Considering my office is around Millikan Way Max station, which areas / apartment complex's which you would recommend considering our priority is one of the better ranked schools next year and also possibility of decent pvt schools OR public PreK schools for this year ?
I would look at apartmemts in Murray Hill and easy drive down Murray to Miliikan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:23 AM

Location: On the move..somewhere in Portland / Beaverton possibly
72 posts, read 65,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I would look at apartmemts in Murray Hill and easy drive down Murray to Miliikan.
thanks for the reco..Will surely check that area.

Any reason you not recommending northern part of Beaverton (around Oak hills, Somerset west, Cedar mills ?).. Seems, there are a good number of decent schools in those locations (Bethany, Oak Hills, Rock Creek, Cedar Mills, Findley ) ?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
thanks for the reco..Will surely check that area.

Any reason you not recommending northern part of Beaverton (around Oak hills, Somerset west, Cedar mills ?).. Seems, there are a good number of decent schools in those locations (Bethany, Oak Hills, Rock Creek, Cedar Mills, Findley ) ?
I mentioned before that the Bethany area is way overcrowded. There are no guarantees you will get in into an overcrowded school. Plus, it's already overcrowded. Rock Creek and Bethany are in Bethany area. Renting in Cedar Hills may get you into a top rated school but area borders schools that didn't meet your criteria.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I mentioned before that the Bethany area is way overcrowded. There are no guarantees you will get in into an overcrowded school. Plus, it's already overcrowded. Rock Creek and Bethany are in Bethany area. Renting in Cedar Hills may get you into a top rated school but area borders schools that didn't meet your criteria.
Thanks for the advise.. appreciated

Old 12-02-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
So, we are finally in Beaverton..(took only about 6 months for the visa process !!)..
Started indepth search for the apartments surrounding the good schools.. Few queries and would appreciate some guidance :

1. For elementary school rankings I am looking at Beaverton Elementary Schools, 1-25 - Beaverton, OR | GreatSchools ... Is this a good indicator or is there another reference we should be checking out too ?

2. I assume between a 10 ranking and a 9, there is very less difference, right ?? Does this mean given a choice we should avoid going below 7/8 from the above rankings ?

3. Presently, in a rating 10 - we find only 3 schools , two of which (Oak hills & Bethany) are told to be very crowded.. For the 3rd one (Scholls Elementary) - for some reason I am unable to get even a single apartment block in its vicinity as per the new boundaries.. Not even on the general rent aggregator sites. Are they no apartment blocks in its vicinity (would be surprising).

4. Hiteon & Nancy Ryles elementary schools , both are rated 9 in the above index.. and I find some apartment locations surrounding these.. any views of these ?

5. What about Elmonica ? Is that also very crowded considering many tech companies in this location too.

Appreciate help.. just landed here and want as much help as possible..

Thanks, Abhi

Old 12-03-2016, 12:17 PM

58 posts, read 66,827 times
Im on the east side, but generally there isn't a huge difference between 8, 9 and 10 schools in my opinion. In my part of town the 8 schools are just as good just have a touch more diversity and not just rich kids, which I prefer bc there is less of the non quantifiable things like bullying and snobbery.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,554 times
you are talking about kindergarten right?

Kindergarten sets the stage for the rest of your childs formal education years- I would look for a warm (emotionally) safe environment that encourages the child to learn and welcomes diversity (not just ethnicity but takes into account different energy levels and learning styles)- my childs class had 5 minute stretch breaks for the more high energies ones, and did a lot of hands on building projects as well as the typical 3 "Rs" (reading , writing, arithmetic, its a phonetic "r")...as well as had a special needs child in a wheelchair... Learning to look at things differently and from different perspectives is important foundation for the problem solving skills they need for their future!

If you are here, it would be good to tour the ones you are having a difficult time deciding between, they usually have open houses for that purpose.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
So, we are finally in Beaverton..(took only about 6 months for the visa process !!)..
Started indepth search for the apartments surrounding the good schools.. Few queries and would appreciate some guidance :

1. For elementary school rankings I am looking at Beaverton Elementary Schools, 1-25 - Beaverton, OR | GreatSchools ... Is this a good indicator or is there another reference we should be checking out too ?

2. I assume between a 10 ranking and a 9, there is very less difference, right ?? Does this mean given a choice we should avoid going below 7/8 from the above rankings ?

3. Presently, in a rating 10 - we find only 3 schools , two of which (Oak hills & Bethany) are told to be very crowded.. For the 3rd one (Scholls Elementary) - for some reason I am unable to get even a single apartment block in its vicinity as per the new boundaries.. Not even on the general rent aggregator sites. Are they no apartment blocks in its vicinity (would be surprising).

4. Hiteon & Nancy Ryles elementary schools , both are rated 9 in the above index.. and I find some apartment locations surrounding these.. any views of these ?

5. What about Elmonica ? Is that also very crowded considering many tech companies in this location too.

Appreciate help.. just landed here and want as much help as possible..

Thanks, Abhi
Sexton Mountain, Cooper Mountain, Nancy Ryles, Hiteon, Scholl's Heights all are highly regarded and have apartment buildings or rentals( think townhouses) and detached homes in the school feeds mentioned. I have heard excellent things about Nancy Ryles especially.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
you are talking about kindergarten right?

Kindergarten sets the stage for the rest of your childs formal education years- I would look for a warm (emotionally) safe environment that encourages the child to learn and welcomes diversity (not just ethnicity but takes into account different energy levels and learning styles)- my childs class had 5 minute stretch breaks for the more high energies ones, and did a lot of hands on building projects as well as the typical 3 "Rs" (reading , writing, arithmetic, its a phonetic "r")...as well as had a special needs child in a wheelchair... Learning to look at things differently and from different perspectives is important foundation for the problem solving skills they need for their future!

If you are here, it would be good to tour the ones you are having a difficult time deciding between, they usually have open houses for that purpose.
Agree with what you say.. will check out the schools by trying to call and visit them, but thing is the open houses are only in 2017 Quarter 1 but we need to finalize the house much before.. and hence..

Old 12-06-2016, 11:48 PM

58 posts, read 66,827 times
Get the Next Door app, I like that for very specific neighborhood questions, would be a great place to get opinions and advice from people who live there about schools their kids actually go to.

Also hit up local mom spots like coffee shops and play areas and look for parents with school age kids. You'll hear lots of real advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland