Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I saw this website earlier but I can't find anything that says it accepts government subsidized rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I saw this website earlier but I can't find anything that says it accepts government subsidized rent.
My friend who lives there told me they do.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
My friend who lives there told me they do.
Okay, I just wanted to know the facts. I'll tell my Portland friend to give them a call and see what the deal is.

CCRC residences do tend to be very expensive because they offer total care. I know of one person who was on Medicaid for a long time due to a heart condition. When she needed to go to an assisted care home, she was very limited to those that would take people with government aid. There were also waiting lists. She finally got into a place that served both Medicaid and non-medicaid people after waiting a year or so.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
As a senior who has looked at the lot let me share what I learned: King City is not a continuing care community. They have homes designated for seniors, a retirement community but no coordinated continuing care.

We looked at Holiday Park Plaza, Willamette View and Terwilligar Plaza. Peel back Terwilligar Plaza's continuing care and you will see that it is quite limited in scope. All require a buy-in and a financial review because if a resident needs care at the end of life they will not kick you to the curb IF you have been a prudent manager of your resources.

If the woman has been a member of the Eastern Star they have a home where if you give them your resources they will care for you for the rest of your life. There are some hoops to jump through but many women now in their 80s were active in that organization.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
As a senior who has looked at the lot let me share what I learned: King City is not a continuing care community. They have homes designated for seniors, a retirement community but no coordinated continuing care.

We looked at Holiday Park Plaza, Willamette View and Terwilligar Plaza. Peel back Terwilligar Plaza's continuing care and you will see that it is quite limited in scope. All require a buy-in and a financial review because if a resident needs care at the end of life they will not kick you to the curb IF you have been a prudent manager of your resources.

If the woman has been a member of the Eastern Star they have a home where if you give them your resources they will care for you for the rest of your life. There are some hoops to jump through but many women now in their 80s were active in that organization.
That's what I thought. I never heard of King City having CCRC facilities. The others you mentioned I know are expensive and not all CCRC's. Maybe the OP should start GOOGLE-ing to determine what's available. Here's a website to get started.

https://www.caring.com/local/continu...ortland-oregon

Old 06-21-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought. I never heard of King City having CCRC facilities. The others you mentioned I know are expensive and not all CCRC's. Maybe the OP should start GOOGLE-ing to determine what's available. Here's a website to get started.

https://www.caring.com/local/continu...ortland-oregon

Sorry if I led you down the wrong path Minervah. I thought she was looking for senior apartments.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry if I led you down the wrong path Minervah. I thought she was looking for senior apartments.
Oh, that's okay. I actually didn't know what a CCRC was until a few years ago. There seem to be a lot of different levels of housing for seniors.

Even where I now live in the Cleveland area finding an affordable CCRC or a senior housing residence is not easy. I've found a great independent living complex but it's for low income people. I just made the cut in the income limitations.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
In Portland I think that Holliday Park Plaza offers the best value in a CCRC.

The problem the OP may encounter is that fact that many require a "buy-in" and a review of the prospective resident's finances to avoid many residents who are impoverished at the end of life (if not before).

Old 06-22-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's okay. I actually didn't know what a CCRC was until a few years ago. There seem to be a lot of different levels of housing for seniors.

Even where I now live in the Cleveland area finding an affordable CCRC or a senior housing residence is not easy. I've found a great independent living complex but it's for low income people. I just made the cut in the income limitations.

Glad you got in. There is a huge need for more middle income housing of all types for seniors.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Glad you got in. There is a huge need for more middle income housing of all types for seniors.
Boy you said it. I was lucky to get into a really nice HUD building. But as I said, I just made the income limitation. If I ever get a few dollars more, out I go. There are many low income places here and high income places for seniors but people in the middle are stuck.

It's not difficult to find moderate income apartments in general here but if someone is looking specifically for senior housing and/or CCRC's. Especially CCRC's because they are very costly to run.

It's like being too poor to be rich and too rich to be poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: