Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:36 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times

Advertisements

High powered people in Oregon aren't like high powered people in places like NYC. You are unlikely to be able to pick them out. They don't wear suits. They wear blue jeans and T-shirts and Columbia jackets with hiking boots. If they really make a lot of money they might fish from an aluminum fishing boat, but one guy I know who makes over a quarter million a year, drives a wheezy rusted small pickup with a faded canoe strapped to the top.

There is no culture of spending money to obtain status. No one is impressed by your car. You can catch salmon from that old canoe and have just as good a time as you do in the $60,000 aluminum boat.

Now, it does matter that you be savvy enough to own the right sports gear, but the right sports gear is not determined by how much it costs. If you know, you have the stuff that works the best for the conditions, not the stuff with the right label on it.

Just a suggestion, OP, if you get that really high paying job, don't strut around your neighborhood in an Armani suit and if you want to spend a lot of money on a car, don't buy a Ferrari, buy something with 4WD. Then you won't have to worry about anyone looking down on you because you work hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 PM

991 posts, read 1,518,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
High powered people in Oregon aren't like high powered people in places like NYC. You are unlikely to be able to pick them out. They don't wear suits. They wear blue jeans and T-shirts and Columbia jackets with hiking boots. If they really make a lot of money they might fish from an aluminum fishing boat, but one guy I know who makes over a quarter million a year, drives a wheezy rusted small pickup with a faded canoe strapped to the top.

There is no culture of spending money to obtain status. No one is impressed by your car. You can catch salmon from that old canoe and have just as good a time as you do in the $60,000 aluminum boat.

Now, it does matter that you be savvy enough to own the right sports gear, but the right sports gear is not determined by how much it costs. If you know, you have the stuff that works the best for the conditions, not the stuff with the right label on it.

Just a suggestion, OP, if you get that really high paying job, don't strut around your neighborhood in an Armani suit and if you want to spend a lot of money on a car, don't buy a Ferrari, buy something with 4WD. Then you won't have to worry about anyone looking down on you because you work hard.

Spot on!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Except.... You can get a nice Ferrari awd!, but might it be a target for a Portland carjacking.

If only you could get the nice Subaru boxer diesels I have been enjoying in the rest of the world.

Evil diesels love mtns, and 50 mpg is pretty eco friendly when you are a homebrewer of Bio-D.

3 million miles in my 50 mpg grease burner since 1976 saved 300,000 gal of toxic flammables my 4x4 gasser would have used. = 2700 tons of Carbon, or 1% of the carbon produced to attend (1) Paris environmental summit.

Each doing our small part....

EPA
https://www.chargepoint.com/files/420f05001.pdf

Paris climate talks creates big carbon footprint - NY Daily News

Most of my $120k + salary friends in PNW drive Nice econo cars, BMW evil diesels. get one while you still can. CARB is out to kill Your options, and CARB has arrived in Oregon.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:14 AM

12 posts, read 8,719 times
All - thanks for all the insight! Super helpful and certainly helps dispel some of my incorrect preconceptions! Sorry for being vague - I am not going to be able to find my actual job in Portland because it does not exist. Therefore I am not really looking for any specific job or specific job advice, I just wanted to improve my understanding of the professional culture. You all have certainly helped me out there!

Woodsmoke - This sounds perfect. I grew up on the East Coast but have lived in Colorado for many years, and I far prefer the humble/don't stand out crowd as compared to the look at me I am important and drive nice cars crowd. I also certainly understand what you mean regarding having the right gear.

Leisesturm - I apologize if I offended you in any way, but I am certainly not trying to be a troll. I am sincerely interested in the professional culture of Portland, and I am really appreciative of all the info provided.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,004 times
I would say Portland has depressed wages for what real estate cost (Now.) As a 5 year engineer with skills that pay the bills. I have been courted to go to D.C., Atlanta, Mobile and Charleston for 130k+ y/r full relocation. I was working for a company in Vancouver WA making 80+ depending on bonuses.

But that job was high stress and not rewarding. I got really tired of essentially running the company. I took a job as a Quality Engineer at a bigger company. Low stress, 4 days a week, no OT, easy decision making, full benes, shorter commute.

I used to be driven, but why? To buy more consumer crap? Have a lavish home you spend almost no time in. Drive a BMW or Mercedes no one ever sees? Perhaps to invest for the future. Portland is about not doing the rat race, not being a corporate drone.

To answer your question. Portland pays appallingly low wages in most sectors and has high unemployment compared to Seattle. That's why Portland has historically been the cheapest place on the west coast. Unless you are in software programing/web development or medical don't expect 100k.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:48 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

i know this topic was about portland specifically - but some of the suburbs would certainly have a little more of the "flashy" culture; like Lake Oswego. There's plenty of folks there who flaunt their money a bit..

Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,046 times
I would also say to the OP to not forget telecommute jobs! I've had 2 since moving here that both were six figure salary plus bonuses. Also, there are plenty of networking groups that would be something to look into if you don't have a job lined up. Is there a chance your current company would let you telecommute from portland? SF is only a 2 hour flight and IMO PDX (airport) is awesome! The TSA agents are actually (usually) quite nice. My old job in SF actually offered me a telecommute position when i moved just to keep me (and at SF wages) so it's worth a shot if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: