Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 03:46 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
NO - it doesn't sound like a police state. It sounds like a place where there is moral fortitude.
actually, no,
if you are poor and homeless (sleeping in your car) you shouldn't go to jail...
I thought that poorhouses were outlawed for a reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 10:45 AM

270 posts, read 325,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
That sounds like a police state, and I don't think Portland wants to be that....
Enforcing the law and protecting law-abiding citizens makes for a "police state" now? If Portland continues to be welcoming toward the homeless, Portland will continue to attract the homeless.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
In the 40's thru the early to mid 70's Oregon had a booming economy but flew under the radar. Then when CA imploded the emigration was very profound to states like Oregon, Washington and Arizona. In addition, the over foresting and mining of the state turned us into a bust state. The political landscape made a sharp left turn and there's been turmoil ever since.

The economy has rebounded but we have been "discovered". Our natural resources are drawing people and also drawing homeless as they are pandered to by the local Portland government. In many ways it's one messed up state but it's still beautiful.
Next time you are driving through a small Oregon town, drive through the neighborhoods and "date" the houses in that town.

You can definitely see the boom times by the ages of the houses in the town.

It seems like every twenty or thirty years, good times happened and people built new houses.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
In the 40's thru the early to mid 70's Oregon had a booming economy but flew under the radar. Then when CA imploded the emigration was very profound to states like Oregon, Washington and Arizona. In addition, the over foresting and mining of the state turned us into a bust state. The political landscape made a sharp left turn and there's been turmoil ever since.

The economy has rebounded but we have been "discovered". Our natural resources are drawing people and also drawing homeless as they are pandered to by the local Portland government. In many ways it's one messed up state but it's still beautiful.

This is a very profound post.
Good job.

We came here when I was offered a good position about 6 yrs ago. I still find it interesting in that my company continues to bring in (at great expense I might add), people from other areas as we cannot find much skilled, motivated, local talent. Why is that? These are good six figure jobs! They should be filled locally.

We enjoy Oregon for the natural, (God given) beauty and variety in the state and the mild weather.

There is little in state or local government that one can look at as a source of pride or innovative leadership however. I see no positive change coming either; especially if state government coffers grow by 3 billion ill gotten gains via the upcoming referendum.

More free loaders will come as some of that 3 billion will be turned into tax payer financed shelters, social workers and whatever other self serving entity; politicians can dream up. Companies will not locate here and maybe some that are already here will leave. I don't see business friendly policies coming from the naive morons Portland area people continue to elect and send to city hall or Salem.

It is a beautiful place though.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Except for the homeless tents and garbage that have become more visible in the last few years, Portland is actually a pretty clean city. I find most Oregonians to be against litter and there is a culture here of loving the land, the sea, the mountains. Parts of Portland do have a run down feel to them and if you are used to Seattle you will find Portland to be less bright and shiny. I find certain areas of Portland to be aging poorly due to too many dogs peeing on grassy areas, small trees on urban sidewalks and streets that smell of dog pee. SW Waterfront park is like one big dog poo and pee litter box. Bring your mat to sit in that park because dogs poo everywhere. Same thing with Jamison Park in the Pearl.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:17 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,682 times
I finally got a electric bike and I was looking the other way then someone stole it. my dad got everything stolen from his house and his truck stolen one time. now he lives in tygh vally where the beginning of the oregon trail is and where my grandpa and grandma lived. the better side of the cascades imo

Old 10-22-2016, 10:53 AM

270 posts, read 325,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I find certain areas of Portland to be aging poorly due to too many dogs peeing on grassy areas, small trees on urban sidewalks and streets that smell of dog pee. SW Waterfront park is like one big dog poo and pee litter box. Bring your mat to sit in that park because dogs poo everywhere. Same thing with Jamison Park in the Pearl.
Oh no, Portland has that too? Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You know, I love dogs, I have a dog, but I am really sick of the rudeness of many (sometimes seems like "most" around here in SoCal) dog owners, particularly the ones who don't pick up the poo or let their dogs pee on everything in sight (sides of buildings, flower pots obviously on private property...) because "it's only pee". Of course, "only pee" attracts other dogs who "only pee" in the same spot and soon the sidewalks are black with old pee and stink. Other than those two parks, where in Portland is this the most common? And is it an issue in the suburbs too?

Old 10-22-2016, 11:20 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
Oh no, Portland has that too? Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. You know, I love dogs, I have a dog, but I am really sick of the rudeness of many (sometimes seems like "most" around here in SoCal) dog owners, particularly the ones who don't pick up the poo or let their dogs pee on everything in sight (sides of buildings, flower pots obviously on private property...) because "it's only pee". Of course, "only pee" attracts other dogs who "only pee" in the same spot and soon the sidewalks are black with old pee and stink. Other than those two parks, where in Portland is this the most common? And is it an issue in the suburbs too?
This is why every city is having this problem. So condos and upscale apartments get built in the areas I mentioned and the residents/ condo owners are generally people without families or maybe just a baby/ toddler but most have a dog. Not just small dogs, like you would think. Bigger dogs make more pee, of course. So every dog owner comes out of their high rise and let's their dogs pee on the grasses and foliage around the parks, the trees and they all poo on grassy areas. 100+ dogs pooing on grass, leaving residue and pieces of poo on the grass, twice a day... well, it makes the grass kind of gross for humans. I have read that the urbanization and return to cities by the middle- upper middle classes is bringing dogs back to cities in droves without the green areas for them to" do their business". In the summer, The Pearl reeks of dog pee. If we didn't get rain so often then many areas of Portland would stink all year long. I am really not exaggerating. The burbs have plenty of green spaces and big back yards for the dogs. Dog owners out here are still rude as they will go into their neighbors front lawns to take a poo. Dog culture in Oregon is kind of like that though as people have confused dogs with humans. I digress. So yes, Portland parks are becoming less desirable for families and are full of dogs and homeless people on the benches. I have seen an increase since I moved here almost seven years ago.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:40 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
I was in San Diego for a week last June (downtown) and could not escape the smell of pee everywhere. It smelled like the Barcelona subway. Not enough rain to clean things up.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:50 AM

846 posts, read 609,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
No thanks. You can keep the pee, homeless, and politics. Way out in the burbs many exercise their Second Amendment rights. That should deter most hipsters (not saying that you are one )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland