Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 10:12 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,827 times

Advertisements

I wrote a post that compared Houston to PDX and also responded to you based on my experience living in Seattle on the Seattle forum where you asked the same question.

Some highlights:

#1 - Inner loop Houston and Portland will have similar rental prices, no material difference there for a nice apartment. The variance will lie in the suburbs and single family homes where you can get a whole lot more down here than in PDX for the same $.

#2 - Food values are superior in Houston but Portland has a great food scene with a *lot* of variety.

#3 - Live near where you work, which in PDX sounds like you will be out towards the westside in Tanasbourne/Hillsboro/Beaverton. 1/2 hour is very doable, probably less.

#4 - Portlanders and Oregonians are more friendly than Seattlites, bar-none. However they are much more reserved than folks down here for the most part. As I side in the Seattle forum, they will warm-up but if you're too over the top they will view you as "fake", intrusive or creepy.

#5 - You're a military man...just keep in mind that Portland has some of the most far-left thinking people in the country. Che Guevara shirts and hammer/cicle symbols are prevalent. There is also not the most friendly vibe towards the military, but this I believe has calmed down a lot since the 2008.

#6 - While there are tech jobs, it is very-very competitive. There's a culture of "you're lucky to have a job" in PDX versus down here where the attitude is "we're lucky to have YOU"...it presents a very different employer/employee relationship.

Just food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 10:22 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
I wrote a post that compared Houston to PDX and also responded to you based on my experience living in Seattle on the Seattle forum where you asked the same question.

Some highlights:

#1 - Inner loop Houston and Portland will have similar rental prices, no material difference there for a nice apartment. The variance will lie in the suburbs and single family homes where you can get a whole lot more down here than in PDX for the same $.

#2 - Food values are superior in Houston but Portland has a great food scene with a *lot* of variety.

#3 - Live near where you work, which in PDX sounds like you will be out towards the westside in Tanasbourne/Hillsboro/Beaverton. 1/2 hour is very doable, probably less.

#4 - Portlanders and Oregonians are more friendly than Seattlites, bar-none. However they are much more reserved than folks down here for the most part. As I side in the Seattle forum, they will warm-up but if you're too over the top they will view you as "fake", intrusive or creepy.

#5 - You're a military man...just keep in mind that Portland has some of the most far-left thinking people in the country. Che Guevara shirts and hammer/cicle symbols are prevalent. There is also not the most friendly vibe towards the military, but this I believe has calmed down a lot since the 2008.

#6 - While there are tech jobs, it is very-very competitive. There's a culture of "you're lucky to have a job" in PDX versus down here where the attitude is "we're lucky to have YOU"...it presents a very different employer/employee relationship.

Just food for thought.

I agree with your #3 and #4 but as for the attitude towards the military... I haven't experienced any prejudice towards ex or current military. Portland peeps won't be silent and question authority which is good IMO. Critical thinking is important to a majority of families here in the PNW.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:50 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:

You hit the nail on the head here. I'd forgotten what it was like to live and work in a community that has the latter attitude. People from other parts of the country should really keep this in mind when they are on the job hunt here.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I keep a couple CHEAP places to live in TX (Hill Country), PNW (portland region), and CO (Main homes rented out with cabin for me (for free)) (payments between 3 places total under $1200/ month, but INCOME between 3 is $4500+... no J-O-B required)

If you are in your earning yrs, and used to your TX wages and no income tax... consider the state 1 minute north of Oregon.
for IT and finance here is a pretty decent place, that is 10 min to PDX and 10 min to the freedom / beauty of Western Columbia Gorge
Jobs at Fisher Investments | Fisher Careers
HP and Sigma Design are hiring
Peace Health,
Kaiser ....Jobs, Employment in Vancouver, WA | Indeed.com
(There are a LOT of jobs in Southwest WA if you Dig / network. We get 250 - 300 newcomers / month, 50% come from OR (Usually for schools or employers moving from OR to WA)) Washougal is CHEAP with good dog park, but minimal shopping (Major shopping 10- 20 min away, if you MUST). Camas is next door with lots of hiking, nice places, but high(er) rents due to good schools and SAFE (all of NW is safe, but 'trendy / spendy' areas are very safe (Lake O, OR. Scholls, OR ...))

If you want Oregon, (without suburbia / traffic and CLOSE to the outdoors / recreation) I would first look to Corbett, Gresham, Troutdale, Sandy areas.

If you want city / suburbia, (and closer to the coast) then Beaverton / Aloha / Hillsboro

From my experience (32+ yrs working and teaching High Tech on the border of WA / OR / PDX region)

Freedom of thought and public acceptance is good in PNW.
Oregon is VERY strong in Group Think and Oregon ONLY (Similar to Texans and 'new breed' Coloradoans). Think like THEM or be a silent outcast, never EVER argue, as they are passive aggressive / will die on the sword for Oregon 'principles' whether good or bad. (as you will note by the regulation / activities on this forum, WA is TOTALLY different).
WA has a vastly more varied economy, funding (a LOT more people, but population is Puget Sound centric). You can freely express different thoughts in a public setting and carry on a rational discussion and EVEN an argument

No sales tax in Oregon (if you happen to be a consumer)
No income tax in WA, (if you happen to be an earner / saver)

Winter is LONG and dark
Summer is great (PNW (we_tside) is excellent for the 100 days TX is miserable)

Old 11-17-2016, 01:30 PM

83 posts, read 102,449 times
Quote:

Some highlights:

Just food for thought.
Well I'm a veteran so longer in the Military but I hear what you're saying nonetheless. Far left thinking people do not bother me at all as I'm in that crowd to an extent. Without getting too political religious, I'm "Agnostic", fall more on the democratic side of things, and am more of free thinker but a professional at the same time.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:55 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
FWIW I have heard from local vets that our VA hospital & clinics are excellent.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:58 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
People at risk of displacement have a right to judge newcomers whose arrival threatens to displace them. It's called self-defense.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:06 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
People at risk of displacement have a right to judge newcomers whose arrival threatens to displace them. It's called self-defense.
Silly comment.

Individuals are responsible for their lives, not actions of others.
Maintain competitiveness, ability, drive and one has no need to fear others.
Rather - welcome others. It makes an area stronger and provides diversity of thought.
Lord knows Portland needs more diversity of thought. The place has a herd mentality.

If one fears displacement, one is doing something wrong.
If one is not getting it done - displacement will happen regardless of whether someone voluntarily moves to an area.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:43 AM

320 posts, read 417,293 times
Just in case you end up with a job on the East side of the River, check out the Happy Valley area! I moved here about 6 months ago and we love it over here. We were originally planning on moving to the west side, but my hubby got a job on the east side and we ended up in Happy Valley due to the great neighborhoods, school district, and it has that PNW feel that you are looking for. I was looking for the same thing. We have easy access to Mt Hood, are right on the Clackamas River (which we had a blast inner tubing down this summer), and have two Nature Parks right here. I love going for a quiet walk in Scouters Mountain Nature Park, with gorgeous views of Hood! We are close enough to drive into the city within 15-30 mins, depending on what part we are headed to, but on the edge of the country, which I love. We were very blessed and ended up with a forest and a creek in our backyard, which is exactly what we were looking for. It really just depends on where your job is, but worth a look! Good luck on your move wherever you end up!

FYI, Everyone has been very welcoming and kind to us transplants Our neighbors are awesome!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:10 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdreamin View Post
Just in case you end up with a job on the East side of the River, check out the Happy Valley area! I moved here about 6 months ago and we love it over here. We were originally planning on moving to the west side, but my hubby got a job on the east side and we ended up in Happy Valley due to the great neighborhoods, school district, and it has that PNW feel that you are looking for. I was looking for the same thing. We have easy access to Mt Hood, are right on the Clackamas River (which we had a blast inner tubing down this summer), and have two Nature Parks right here. I love going for a quiet walk in Scouters Mountain Nature Park, with gorgeous views of Hood! We are close enough to drive into the city within 15-30 mins, depending on what part we are headed to, but on the edge of the country, which I love. We were very blessed and ended up with a forest and a creek in our backyard, which is exactly what we were looking for. It really just depends on where your job is, but worth a look! Good luck on your move wherever you end up!

FYI, Everyone has been very welcoming and kind to us transplants Our neighbors are awesome!
This is good to hear since I often recommend Happy Valley to newcomers. I love your New Seasons, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland