Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 01:02 PM

83 posts, read 102,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_ninenine View Post
The anti-transplant vibe that some people give off online is honestly embarassing for me as someone from the area. Absolutely hate to see it. I hope you feel welcome in Portland!
That's very kind of you, I hope I meet other people that feel the same way. Beers on me? In all honesty, we're kind of minimalists and don't consume too much. I highly doubt we'll take too much away from other locals. Of course everyone says that and then you multiply it by a couple hundred thousand, it adds up, I get that.

On another note: anyone know if we apply for Oregon plates before we get there or do we have to wait until we have an address and all of that? I'd like to take care of any pre-requisites that I can a couple of months before the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 01:15 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Honestly, so much of what you want is in many areas, but it'll depend on where you work. You said 30 mins, but is that the commute time you're looking for? I work on the west side of Hillsboro and a couple of colleagues I know who live near Allen/Murray say it takes them about 20-30 mins. You're basically driving through one city and it can take awhile.

The west Hillsboro/east Beaverton area (Tanasbourne/Orenco Station) is especially urban. Very crowded, very busy, big streets, lots of shopping centers, etc. Yuck...too many people and it sounds like you want to get away from all that. So, if you work in that area, just know you and everyone else is commuting in. So maybe stay away from that area, but it is the "nicer, more modern" area. Bethany is more modern/nice also and depending on where you end up working, a commute to Hillsboro/Beaverton could be 20-30 mins, so look into that area.

You'll need to look for places more out of the way. I don't mean farther out of the city/burbs, I just mean, more away from the busy areas, busy streets, etc. If you visit, I'd stay in the Beaverton area and drive around every day through that side of town during different times (morning, lunch, evening rush hours is a must). On the upside, there are many back/side streets that you can take to avoid the main thoroughfares, but from what I'm told, it still takes the same amount of time (commute).

Good luck with your search. Oh, and I've lived here for 4 years and am from the MOST hated place....California. I have never had anyone express dislike due to that. But then again, Oregonians are polite to your face (they could have been seething inside).

Old 05-30-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Honestly, so much of what you want is in many areas, but it'll depend on where you work. You said 30 mins, but is that the commute time you're looking for? I work on the west side of Hillsboro and a couple of colleagues I know who live near Allen/Murray say it takes them about 20-30 mins. You're basically driving through one city and it can take awhile.

The west Hillsboro/east Beaverton area (Tanasbourne/Orenco Station) is especially urban. Very crowded, very busy, big streets, lots of shopping centers, etc. Yuck...too many people and it sounds like you want to get away from all that. So, if you work in that area, just know you and everyone else is commuting in. So maybe stay away from that area, but it is the "nicer, more modern" area. Bethany is more modern/nice also and depending on where you end up working, a commute to Hillsboro/Beaverton could be 20-30 mins, so look into that area.

You'll need to look for places more out of the way. I don't mean farther out of the city/burbs, I just mean, more away from the busy areas, busy streets, etc. If you visit, I'd stay in the Beaverton area and drive around every day through that side of town during different times (morning, lunch, evening rush hours is a must). On the upside, there are many back/side streets that you can take to avoid the main thoroughfares, but from what I'm told, it still takes the same amount of time (commute).

Good luck with your search. Oh, and I've lived here for 4 years and am from the MOST hated place....California. I have never had anyone express dislike due to that. But then again, Oregonians are polite to your face (they could have been seething inside).
Thanks for info.

From what I've been told, I'll likely be working in western Portland or maybe even the pearl district area. I highly doubt I'll actually be working Beaverton. That was just an idea for a place to live while either working in western Portland or Pearl District area. To be honest, I'd rather be a little further out away but still kind of close to some shopping (by car is fine).

I have no need to be close to schools and tons of people. I would be wasting resources for those that do need that and I want to avoid that at all costs.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothewolves1099 View Post
Thanks for info.

From what I've been told, I'll likely be working in western Portland or maybe even the pearl district area. I highly doubt I'll actually be working Beaverton. That was just an idea for a place to live while either working in western Portland or Pearl District area. To be honest, I'd rather be a little further out away but still kind of close to some shopping (by car is fine).

I have no need to be close to schools and tons of people. I would be wasting resources for those that do need that and I want to avoid that at all costs.
Not sure what the commute would be to downtown, but definitely look into Bethany. It's a nice area, newer housing, the main road is busy, but it's quieter area in general. Downtown w/o traffic would be about a 15-20 min drive depending how far into Bethany you are. Commute wise, not sure. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Lastly, sorry, I must have missed the west Portland part. That or I assumed you meant the west side of Portland Metro. Haha. oops.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:21 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
On another note: anyone know if we apply for Oregon plates before we get there or do we have to wait until we have an address and all of that? I'd like to take care of any pre-requisites that I can a couple of months before the move.
You'll need an address here. Sounds like you are willing to get on it, which is a good idea--same for your ODL. Oregon is very authoritarian about (everything, basically, but especially) licenses, tags, and driving. After the required timeframe (I think it's a month), if you have not applied for your ODL, and you are stopped, you will be considered driving without a valid license. Your car will need an emissions test, of course, before it can be registered in Oregon. And of course your insurance company (whom you obviously have to notify in order to be insured, given that rates vary by location) will report to the state, so there isn't any room to wiggle around. Well, that's not quite true (some of us rebels made it our life mission to get away with it for a while)--but close enough.

The DMV website has a pretty good practice test for the written test, which you will have to take to get your ODL. I'd take it a lot of times until you think you've seen all the questions (wife and I did so, and crushed it). Some laws here differ from elsewhere; for example, school bus stop sign applies in both directions even on a multi-lane road with a suicide lane--if there isn't a physical divider, both directions have to stop. Learn about sharrows. On pedestrians, in Oregon, every intersection has crosswalks whether marked or not, and you have to stop for people to cross--they set up actual stings to catch people failing to do so. Oh, and watch out. Beaverton is pretty much Oregon's traffic ticket capital, with lots of obviously revenue-based policing and radar vans in common use. It's hard enough to drive legally here while making an effort, what with the pointless speed limit changes; those who don't make that effort will end up with tickets real fast. Construction zone along TVH drops limit to 25? The deputies will be waiting for those who take their time slowing down, or who speed up too soon after getting past the thick of it. Got a cool license plate frame that obstructs the stickers at all? Expect a ticket. Anything, any reason at all, especially in the Beav.

Weirdness: Idaho actually has more permissive laws regarding cycling. Not that local cyclists pay any attention to the law, of course; many consider themselves morally superior for cycling to begin with, and thus entitled to ignore any traffic law that would cost them momentum.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:19 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
That's very kind of you, I hope I meet other people that feel the same way. Beers on me? In all honesty, we're kind of minimalists and don't consume too much. I highly doubt we'll take too much away from other locals. Of course everyone says that and then you multiply it by a couple hundred thousand, it adds up, I get that.

I seem to remember you have to have proof of residency before applying for plates (I don't know if you can show that you have a year lease on a local address and a local job.. or you have to be here and then apply - but I do remember the residency part)....

Welcome to Portland!

Old 05-30-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I hope this is okay to post here: Oregon's DMV FAQ for moving here. Great information.
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/Page...ve_travel.aspx

You'll need an OR address to get a license...I think you need two forms of ID with OR address (utility bill, bank statement, etc.).

You have 30 days to change everything over (license and plates).

To add to some of the road laws: Beaverton had red light cameras (at least they warn you on the freeway). And for the most part, u-turns are prohibited.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I hope this is okay to post here: Oregon's DMV FAQ for moving here. Great information.
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/Page...ve_travel.aspx

You'll need an OR address to get a license...I think you need two forms of ID with OR address (utility bill, bank statement, etc.).

You have 30 days to change everything over (license and plates).

To add to some of the road laws: Beaverton had red light cameras (at least they warn you on the freeway). And for the most part, u-turns are prohibited.

So basically, move there and then get **** done ASAP!?

Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
You'll need an address here. Sounds like you are willing to get on it, which is a good idea--same for your ODL. Oregon is very authoritarian about (everything, basically, but especially) licenses, tags, and driving. After the required timeframe (I think it's a month), if you have not applied for your ODL, and you are stopped, you will be considered driving without a valid license. Your car will need an emissions test, of course, before it can be registered in Oregon. And of course your insurance company (whom you obviously have to notify in order to be insured, given that rates vary by location) will report to the state, so there isn't any room to wiggle around. Well, that's not quite true (some of us rebels made it our life mission to get away with it for a while)--but close enough.

The DMV website has a pretty good practice test for the written test, which you will have to take to get your ODL. I'd take it a lot of times until you think you've seen all the questions (wife and I did so, and crushed it). Some laws here differ from elsewhere; for example, school bus stop sign applies in both directions even on a multi-lane road with a suicide lane--if there isn't a physical divider, both directions have to stop. Learn about sharrows. On pedestrians, in Oregon, every intersection has crosswalks whether marked or not, and you have to stop for people to cross--they set up actual stings to catch people failing to do so. Oh, and watch out. Beaverton is pretty much Oregon's traffic ticket capital, with lots of obviously revenue-based policing and radar vans in common use. It's hard enough to drive legally here while making an effort, what with the pointless speed limit changes; those who don't make that effort will end up with tickets real fast. Construction zone along TVH drops limit to 25? The deputies will be waiting for those who take their time slowing down, or who speed up too soon after getting past the thick of it. Got a cool license plate frame that obstructs the stickers at all? Expect a ticket. Anything, any reason at all, especially in the Beav.

Weirdness: Idaho actually has more permissive laws regarding cycling. Not that local cyclists pay any attention to the law, of course; many consider themselves morally superior for cycling to begin with, and thus entitled to ignore any traffic law that would cost them momentum.
What order do you recommend?

Get omissions test, take test to get drivers license, and then get plates? Or do you go take test for drivers license and get the plates at the same time?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
What order do you recommend?

Get omissions test, take test to get drivers license, and then get plates? Or do you go take test for drivers license and get the plates at the same time?
Since I followed a rather unconventional method, I am not sure what is the recommended method, but if I had to guess I'd say start with the ODL. That way when you go get the emissions test, you have the temporary, and they can connect their dots. Connecting their dots is important to the DMV. Then when you bring in your ODL and emissions test pass to register your ride, citizen, there won't be anything else you need.

If you vote, good news is OR is all vote-by-mail, and you will be registered by default with getting your ODL unless you specifically opt out.

One more thing: the cops' ticket-writing finger is quicker in Oregon about running yellow lights. I think the rule is if it turns red while you are still in the intersection, they get you. So whatever your reflex has always been on 'making the light,' I'd dial it back. You might think this all sounds crazy paranoid, but this is really the most helpful stuff I can tell you and much of it is based upon our household experience. Plus, I don't want the local police getting any more unjustified revenue than necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland