Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 10:49 AM

13 posts, read 24,824 times

Advertisements

I am from Maryland and have lived in Southeast Michigan for a few years. I'm trying to get a job in Oregon to be closer to my fiancé. He is also looking for a new job. He's in IT. I'm an engineer. I'd appreciate any tips you can give like what area of Portland has less traffic. Lol Or what exactly traffic patterns are. Things you wish you knew before locating to Portland etc.

I am looking for job all around Portland including Vancouver but I feel like I'm working in the dark. I don't know much about Oregon.

Are there other places with engineering jobs that are not coming up on Monster and Indeed? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 11:23 AM

23 posts, read 37,933 times
Hey there!

Portland in the recent months has been quite the traffic mess... There are a lot of people moving here and we haven't quite adjusted our highways yet. BUT that being said, all traffic is avoidable no matter what city or state you are in. It is all about timing

Regarding Jobs, there are PLENTY of engineering jobs around the Portland area. Setting up a job over the phone isn't the way to get hired... I would recommend moving here with some savings and interviewing as soon as possible. They are plenty of people hiring!

Also, if you plan on renting... DONT. IF you can afford it, have the credit and are willing, please try and become a home owner! With the amount of rent you will be paying, you might as well be paying for a mortgage, not paying your landlords mortgage I am not just saying this as a realtor, but as a kind person- DO not rent.. It is a waste of your money!

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by delta07; 11-17-2016 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: real estate advertising

Old 11-17-2016, 11:44 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
there are so many different neighborhoods to check out and everyones taste varies- do you want urban density and funkiness and fun on every corner- then you might want closer in the NW side or Alberta district, or the SE Hawthorne district, do you want mellow, more family vibes (its doesn't sound like you have kids yet) you might like Woodstock or SE Portland- whats your price range for monthly rent or mortgage --

I'm pretty cautious personally I would never buy sight unseen- best to visit, (maybe even rent first) before buying!
Good luck!

Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 AM

13 posts, read 24,824 times
Thanks guys. No kids. I am pretty flexible. Fiancé less so. But I thought I'd get a job and then find some place close by to live.

I appreciate the advice on moving there because I know a Portland employer has his pick of locals. But I'm not willing to quit my job without another job. Just the thought is too scary. ��

Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
What kind of engineering? What is the nature of the job you are doing?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:58 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
You really need to know where your job is located before you decide where to live. I seriously suggest that wherever your job is located, you will want to live on the same side of the rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland