U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 03:53 PM

2,792 posts, read 3,465,528 times

Advertisements

So, the more crazier it gets here, the more me and my BF want to move away from things. Jobs are the biggest issue. The variety of cities I listed is because his job could take him to any of those areas. I may (or may not) be able to telecommute to my job so that's an issue, but I figured I'd ask in case I'm willing to find a new job or have to commute in once a week.

In a quick summary, what is The Dalles like? Scappoose (or more north/south of it)? Coastal living - maybe like Newport/Lincoln City area? I could look up stats about the city, but I'd like to hear your "generic" idea of what those areas represent to you.

If you recall from my previous posts, we want to buy a house next year. I've had to cut out Multnomah County due to taxes (ouch!) and since my BF's boss is offering up different locations, I figured I'd look into it a bit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 11:30 AM

8,238 posts, read 3,570,376 times
The Dalles, absolutely. Not as windy as HoodRiver, Close enough to PDX for a easy day trip.
The Coast is nice but it does get a bit cloudy and is a lot wetter than, The Dalles.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:36 PM

151 posts, read 202,769 times
The Coast has a bad combo of a very tough economy with fairly expensive housing (becuase of vacation properties). Sounds like his work will be taken care of, but finding a job for yourself on the coast that both pays and is somewhat fulfilling might be hard.

The Dalles is worth checking out. It is nice out there, good little town but large enough to have some shopping/dining options. Close to Hood River which has a bunch of cool stuff.

Scapoose I'm less familiar with, but the older part of town (between the highway down to the river) is cooler than what you can see from the highway.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
The Dalles, absolutely. Not as windy as HoodRiver, Close enough to PDX for a easy day trip.
The Coast is nice but it does get a bit cloudy and is a lot wetter than, The Dalles.
I'll have to look into the weather in The Dalles (that's easy enough to research). I've only been to Hood River once, so obviously, I haven't been out there. Might be worth it to check it out.

I love enjoy the coast, small towns, the weather doesn't bother me, but I know my plants will hate it.

Thanks.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:06 PM

[quote=AnotherPDXGuy;46290758]The Coast has a bad combo of a very tough economy with fairly expensive housing (becuase of vacation properties). Sounds like his work will be taken care of, but finding a job for yourself on the coast that both pays and is somewhat fulfilling might be hard.[\quote]

Is this the entire coast? Or just certain areas? Yeah, I know me finding a job would be the hardest part. Well, at least finding something that will make enough money and be somewhat fulfilling.

Quote:
The Dalles is worth checking out. It is nice out there, good little town but large enough to have some shopping/dining options. Close to Hood River which has a bunch of cool stuff.

Scapoose I'm less familiar with, but the older part of town (between the highway down to the river) is cooler than what you can see from the highway.
I think I'll go check out The Dalles one day. Sounds like a neat little town.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:36 PM

151 posts, read 202,769 times
The entire coastal economy is pretty rough. The economy is mostly tourism related which is year round, but obviously takes a dip outside of the summer months. There are also timber-related jobs, which ebb and flow with that industry. And some fishing and agriculture industry. There are just not large stable industries out there. Govt and healthcare work are pretty stable option. Housing is a real issue if you are renting. If you are buying, there are still some more affordable options outside of the big vacation areas.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:46 PM

10,685 posts, read 18,119,050 times
If you want access to PDX or the Portland employment market then Scappoose is the better choice. Otherwise The Dalles, hands down. Google is building a "server farm" there so you may have some competition from construction workers for housing at the moment but, that aside, I think you would enjoy that town.

A while back a poster was touting one of the towns on the WA side, White Salmon or Stevenson. Worth a look.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the responses. I talked to BF more, I guess The Dalles was never really on his radar. Well, it didn't sound like that the week we talked about it. But anyways, he keeps talking about wanting to live near the water. Wait, before you say it, he means the ocean.

I know he just wants to move out of town. Ugh! Maybe we won't buy next year, but rent instead and see what happens. I'm also going to see if I can telecommute in a year. Maybe the coast might be in our future. I do miss the ocean.

Now I'm wondering what it's like in scappoose and/or St. Helens. Haha. Thanks everyone. Time to do more searching and driving.

And lastly, when is a good time of the year to visit The Dalles? I'd still like to visit and check it out.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,298 posts, read 45,460,073 times
jobs?
What jobs / industry?

Age? (maybe I missed that, but The Dalles is VERY sleepy for a young person.)

remote towns are TOUGH on 'progressive' employment (often only a few GOOD jobs with technical / career / wage advancement EMPLOYERS can really stick-it-to-employees, as their jobs are the ONLY game in town)., Hood River / Cascade Locks would at least be commutable to Portland (in a pinch / temp job). NICE remote towns often have a VERY low wage and HIGH housing / CoL cuz people want to live there and are willing to work for peanuts to do so.

If you are doing 'Food Service' or Customer / retail sales, you will want to be near a city.

If you have employable skills, you can name-your-price in many nice communities. AND you have options! And your boss KNOWS if he treats you like dirt, he will be digging up another employee soon. Digging up skilled and responsible employees is not so ez. (not free either). but,,, hire the wrong ones and you are sick and stuck!

Old 12-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
jobs?
What jobs / industry?

Age? (maybe I missed that, but The Dalles is VERY sleepy for a young person.)

remote towns are TOUGH on 'progressive' employment (often only a few GOOD jobs with technical / career / wage advancement EMPLOYERS can really stick-it-to-employees, as their jobs are the ONLY game in town)., Hood River / Cascade Locks would at least be commutable to Portland (in a pinch / temp job). NICE remote towns often have a VERY low wage and HIGH housing / CoL cuz people want to live there and are willing to work for peanuts to do so.

If you are doing 'Food Service' or Customer / retail sales, you will want to be near a city.

If you have employable skills, you can name-your-price in many nice communities. AND you have options! And your boss KNOWS if he treats you like dirt, he will be digging up another employee soon. Digging up skilled and responsible employees is not so ez. (not free either). but,,, hire the wrong ones and you are sick and stuck!

All great questions.

Jobs/Industry.
Me: I'm a data analyst and was an administrative assistant. I would probably use the AA job as backup if we decided on the coast, because as you said, not a lot of "progressive" jobs out there. Also, if we moved that far away from Portland, I'd probably see if I could telecommute.
BF: his entire background is retail (including management). So as he said, "I can find a job anywhere" and then I said, "but can you make how much you are now?" Besides the coast, he'd have a job as he's already working in Scappoosse and they're going to open another store in The Dalles....or thinking about it.

We're in our early 40's, no kids. But we also are total homebodies who don't really go out. We maybe go out with friends once a quarter, if that. So, sleepy town is perfect.

Housing/Income
I was wondering how low the outer cities pay and how high housing is, but figured, I'd just ask first. This was mostly a first step. I mean, if people were, "XYZ is the pits", well, then I'd look elsewhere or find out if other cities close by might be an alternative.

Truly, we just want to leave the city. But I realize that my job is here in Hillsboro and I can find others like it, but only in the bigger cities. I have options, but can that other option support us? I wouldn't mind ending up somewhere north of West Union, but below Scappoose. But with Multnomah taxes, ouch, we'd have to move all the way to Columbia County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland