Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 AM

5,393 posts, read 8,074,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
One of my dearest friends is a transplant from Houston, and I have to say that his manner initially put me off. The slick pleasantries and small, sort of flirting flatteries struck me as incredibly superficial and untrustworthy - very glib. .............................
Just keep in mind that isn't the cultural norm here (or really anywhere on this side of the Rockies).
That's quite a grandiose statement. This side of the Rockies includes Fort Klamath, the rest of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California.

It is possible that what puts off one person does not put off all of the tens of millions of women, or even the majority, who live in the above states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,729,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
That's quite a grandiose statement. This side of the Rockies includes Fort Klamath, the rest of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California.

It is possible that what puts off one person does not put off all of the tens of millions of women, or even the majority, who live in the above states.
Yes, and I've lived in several cities, large and small, in Oregon, Washington, California, as well as New York, New Jersey and Connecticut -plus spending months at a time in Arizona. I also worked in high tech and travelled extensively in the US. The culture in the west IS different. People are people wherever you go, but people in groups behave differently in different parts of the country. The culture in New York City, for example, is quite different from Portland and Seattle. Doesn't mean the people are, but group behavior and public behavior are often set by the local dominant culture.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-03-2008 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 02:45 PM

403 posts, read 1,116,187 times
Alright, I'm gonna get slammed for this, but here goes. I've lived a number of places, including Texas, and I will just tell you: there aren't that many attractive women in Portland. The ones that will turn your head are high school/college aged, and when you realize that, you'll keep walking.

Despite claims to the contrary, this is not a very health conscious city. Oh sure, it is in word, just not deed. There's a lot of overweight people here, and I see the same faces at the gym every week, rarely new ones.

As for friendliness, Portland ranks lower than Texas, but higher, than say, California. Here in the Northwest, you can approach a woman cold, chat with her for a few minutes, and not get much attitude. However, if she's in her twenties and hot, you only have about three minutes to do your thing, before you risk awkwardness.

Women here, as in most locals, will not take you at face value, and so will only engage with you on a very superficial level, if they don't know you (basic defense mechanism stuff.) If you are skilled and can get numbers in under five minutes, don't expect call-backs. You will instead have to leave a message and tell her that you will call her again at 8pm that night. If she answers then, you're in; if not, move on.

One last thing: Online dating here is a LOT of work. Women on Match and Yahoo make up one-seventh or less the number of men. I know many girls that get one hundred or more e-mails a day, and will not answer most of them.

Consequently, meeting women through friends or being VERY good at cold approaches is a must. And yes, your nice Texan routine will not always be taken at face value. Tone it down, or you might look like a "try hard." Naturally, just my two cents. Let the flaming being...

Old 03-03-2008, 06:25 PM

59 posts, read 168,523 times
One of my dearest friends is a transplant from Houston, and I have to say that his manner initially put me off. The slick pleasantries and small, sort of flirting flatteries struck me as incredibly superficial and untrustworthy - very glib. Eventually, of course, I came to know him better and to realize that was just social "lubrication" - his way of trying to put people at ease, which had exactly the opposite effect.
That's interesting to hear...I believe most Texans I know are pretty friendly...just for the sake of being friendly.

Just keep in mind that isn't the cultural norm here (or really anywhere on this side of the Rockies). Just as you are who you are, the culture here is the culture here, and neither is necessarily bad, just easy to misinterpret.
I've always wondered if this sort of "closed" way people in the Pacific NW are has to do with the weather. It's so sunny and warm most of the year down here, and everyone's not bundled up most of the year as one might be in PDX/SEA/etc...

I've seen many new posters (especially people from the south and east) say the northwest people are cold and unfriendly - it's not my experience here at all (and I am not a native, but a long-time transplant). It is a more laid-back, calm culture, though. Maybe coming from TX, FL, etc...these posters have a different perspective on things???

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 22,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post
Alright, I'm gonna get slammed for this, but here goes. I've lived a number of places, including Texas, and I will just tell you: there aren't that many attractive women in Portland. The ones that will turn your head are high school/college aged, and when you realize that, you'll keep walking.

Despite claims to the contrary, this is not a very health conscious city. Oh sure, it is in word, just not deed. There's a lot of overweight people here, and I see the same faces at the gym every week, rarely new ones.

As for friendliness, Portland ranks lower than Texas, but higher, than say, California. Here in the Northwest, you can approach a woman cold, chat with her for a few minutes, and not get much attitude. However, if she's in her twenties and hot, you only have about three minutes to do your thing, before you risk awkwardness.

Women here, as in most locals, will not take you at face value, and so will only engage with you on a very superficial level, if they don't know you (basic defense mechanism stuff.) If you are skilled and can get numbers in under five minutes, don't expect call-backs. You will instead have to leave a message and tell her that you will call her again at 8pm that night. If she answers then, you're in; if not, move on.

One last thing: Online dating here is a LOT of work. Women on Match and Yahoo make up one-seventh or less the number of men. I know many girls that get one hundred or more e-mails a day, and will not answer most of them.

Consequently, meeting women through friends or being VERY good at cold approaches is a must. And yes, your nice Texan routine will not always be taken at face value. Tone it down, or you might look like a "try hard." Naturally, just my two cents. Let the flaming being...
Good stuff. I've been considering Portland, and the talent in the gene pool has been a major sticking point. Most will gloss around this sort of thing, so I appreciate the honesty.

I see PDX is home to many strip clubs, how do they rate relative to other cities in the US? Inquiring minds want to know....

Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 11,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusian_Artist View Post

You sound like a BS artist. "3 minutes to do your thing", "get numbers under 5 minutes", " Tell her you won't call again until 8 and if she answers your in." What kind of nonsense is this? You make asking someone out akin to playing Twister. It's simple, just ask the woman out and if she's interested in you fine, if not move on. What are all these head games?
There are plenty of attractive women in Portland. Tahoma, just be yourself. Be friendly, not too pushy and you'll do fine here. You sound like a really nice guy, you shouldn't have any problems. Don't listen to this BS artist.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:03 PM

4 posts, read 11,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouzone_B View Post
Good stuff. I've been considering Portland, and the talent in the gene pool has been a major sticking point. Most will gloss around this sort of thing, so I appreciate the honesty.

I see PDX is home to many strip clubs, how do they rate relative to other cities in the US? Inquiring minds want to know....
You really have little room to talk when it comes to "talents in the gene pool." In the next sentence you ask about strip clubs and how they rate.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,604,108 times
The strip clubs tend to be in outer Portland, in what I call wife beater territory (sorry). Someone mentioned foster/powell in a description of a type of woman and they kind of (strip clubs) for the most part are out in areas like that, attracting (well I assume anyway) that kind of guy, or that kind of guy who likes those kind of women. I say that comparing them to SF where they were downtown/North Beach, had a history, some clubs were famous, and actual clubs run by women exist--it doesn't seem as slimy there. The strip clubs here seem more about pure sleeze and women desperately struggling to survive and/or pure addiction. Could be wrong as I've never been in one, but based on the areas they're in they're just seedy.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM

403 posts, read 1,116,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXJen View Post
You sound like a BS artist. "3 minutes to do your thing", "get numbers under 5 minutes", " Tell her you won't call again until 8 and if she answers your in." What kind of nonsense is this? You make asking someone out akin to playing Twister. It's simple, just ask the woman out and if she's interested in you fine, if not move on. What are all these head games?
There are plenty of attractive women in Portland. Tahoma, just be yourself. Be friendly, not too pushy and you'll do fine here. You sound like a really nice guy, you shouldn't have any problems. Don't listen to this BS artist.
You seem to be offended by my words and have decided to personally attack me. That is unfortunate.

The truth is, that if a man is not introduced to a woman through a friend or is not at a gathering of mutual friends (which suggests pre-screening) he will only get a few minutes of face time with her. And that, only if she'll drop her defenses long enough to get to know him. You appear to have yours up over an Internet posting.

That behavior is precisely why men have to develop "game" to get to know women. However, that does not mean they're a "B.S. artist" or are involved in any sort of nefarious activity. Just that walking up, introducing yourself, and saying what's on your mind (otherwise known as a direct approach,) does not always work with people who have conditioned themselves to lash out at strangers. I'm sure you know the type.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:39 PM

59 posts, read 168,523 times
I guess that's the rub which, if I do make the move to PDX, will be somewhat odd for me as someone who's used to just going up and talking to a woman. Not because I'm necessarily hitting on her, but because that's what I'm used to. In fact, a lot of the times, some women are offended when you DON'T talk to them...it comes off as somewhat rude in certain circles. Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland