Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:11 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times

Advertisements

On saturday January the 21st

Anyone else here going?

Our household is going...
Just heard on NPR (OPB) that 34,000 people have indicated they will be attending (via "various social outlets" whatever that means)...

My hopes it will be a peaceful gathering....
(It scares me alittle all the tips on getting out if it gets stirred up, that there may be agent provocateurs there to cause trouble).

Not trying to be "too radical" or offend anyone just by bringing this up- but it is a big event...

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 01-18-2017 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: forgot date

Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Keep in mind what happened last time to those who intended a "peaceful" protest. Doesn't matter if it's peaceful and ends up a riotous mess - it would still be on ALL of you.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,360 times
Pointless. Oregon voted blue. Marching in a blue state, in a blue city, will change nothing -- absolutely nothing. You'll be shouting at people who already agree with you. Red America? Will not care. Nor will it make a bit of difference. Save the gas, save the time, save the effort.

Want to make a difference? Move to a red state in a red congressional district, then support more centrist state legislators and send a centrist candidate to Congress. As it stands now, all the blues are concentrated only in the big cities on the coasts -- because of this, the dems are at their lowest level of political power ever. Lost the House. Lost the Senate. Lost the White House. Will lose the Supreme Court. And have lost most of the governorships and state legislators. This march? Laughably pointless. Will do ZERO to change any of this.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Keep in mind what happened last time to those who intended a "peaceful" protest. Doesn't matter if it's peaceful and ends up a riotous mess - it would still be on ALL of you.
Gosh, I guess you won't be there huh,
no matter theres a lively discussion on my Nextdoor neighborhood site - tons of moms and dads and kids will be going.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Pointless. Oregon voted blue. Marching in a blue state, in a blue city, will change nothing -- absolutely nothing. You'll be shouting at people who already agree with you. Red America? Will not care. Nor will it make a bit of difference. Save the gas, save the time, save the effort.

Want to make a difference? Move to a red state in a red congressional district, then support more centrist state legislators and send a centrist candidate to Congress. As it stands now, all the blues are concentrated only in the big cities on the coasts -- because of this, the dems are at their lowest level of political power ever. Lost the House. Lost the Senate. Lost the White House. Will lose the Supreme Court. And have lost most of the governorships and state legislators. This march? Laughably pointless. Will do ZERO to change any of this.
Like Yankeemama said, we are marching in solidarity for our hopes for the future, the futures of our kids, this country, the people we love.
To show our commitment.
To be in solidarity with the womens march in washington on the same day- its in a lot of cities- Eugene and Detroit for two of them.

O, and I grew up in a red state, heck I have shaken hands with Governor Clinton.

Been there done that.

I think the Portland Forum could use some work, lighten up!
Its going to be a nice March, and I hope to see and- be with- some good people there!

Old 01-19-2017, 07:51 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Just keep it in Portland where the people who sympathize with you all live. Clog up your own streets, punish your own neighbors, break the windows of local businessmen who probably voted like you did. That'll teach them to vote your way the next election.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:59 AM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
I wish I could go but have a prior commitment. I did knit some hats for the march

Old 01-19-2017, 11:17 AM

635 posts, read 746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
Really? So people shouldn't have peaceful protest because of the possibility of riots from groups of people who are not there to be in a peaceful march? It is on all of us if they do riot? First, you may want to research history just a little, this country was founded on protest. Women's Rights, Worker's Rights, Civil Rights just a few things that started with protests. Second, we are not responsible for the actions of other people, so no it will not be on us. Trump should take responsibility for his actions and his words.

We must unite and show power in numbers, show unity for all people. If you don't want to join that is your right but do not try to make others feel they don't have a right to protest.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:33 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,420 times
What exactly is the overarching purpose of this march?
Is there a goal to be achieved?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:41 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
I find it funny that people who are supposedly conservative and thus appreciative of American history, are so against protests.

Literally, the American Revolution was born of a protest movement. It started violently - the sons of liberty burned the houses of British officials, hung them in effigy, etc... in Boston and other cities.

Apparently Trump supporters think that those of us who don't approve of him should meekly accept our defeat and go quietly into the night. Of course they never did that while Obama was president. Donald Trump himself on twitter called for people to take to the streets in 2012, so it's perfectly fine for them to protest. No, there never such things as tea party protests around the country in 2009, yes in some red areas and blue areas. They quietly accepted President Obama's legitimacy & supported him because his success was America's success! Seeing as how he won the popular vote with more than 50% twice - only the 3rd president to do that other than Eisenhower and Reagan, they saw no reason to protest. They accepted him just fine!

Oh, and I suppose it's perfectly okay to not only protest, but engage an ARMED TAKEOVER of a wildlife refuge over some conspiracy bull****! Yessir! They are patriots & American heroes. We should shake their hands and acquit them of any crimes! They only did a few million dollars worth of damage that OREGON TAXPAYERS are footing the bill for. Oh, but God forbid liberals protest. Those whiny snowflakes are making much ado about nothing and should shut up.

Hypocrites.

Last edited by redguard57; 01-19-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland