U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,011 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I've been reading the city-data posts for awhile on Beaverton and am interested in learning more about the International School of Beaverton. 1) Are the class sizes really 28? 2) Have any bullying issues come to light? 3) Is it more of a brainy, serious school clientele? It looks like from the enrollment data available online grade level class sizes start out around 100 but by 12th grade are around 75 ish, why? Just that many kids drop out or transfer to another system?...is it really that hard of a school?

I am aware there is a lottery and the chances with each student look to be about 40-50%. If you do not get in first try, is the lottery the same in subsequent years or do you have a weighted chance if you apply again?

Background: mid-40s married couple, two children, live in So. Indiana within Louisville metro area. 12 years ago lived in Forest Grove for three years while spouse was in graduate school and have longed to return to OR every since.

12 & 10 y/o boy & girl have been in a Classical, Christian education private school thus far, not because we are fundamentalist Christians, 'cause we're not, but for the quality of the education and smaller class and school size. From what is available online, it looks like ISB fits the bill.

We are visiting in 4 weeks for a 12 day house hunt/spring break vacation. Am also interested in learning more about desirable areas in Beaverton to live. Would like 2500 s.f. with a decent yard and a view and/or an awesome greenspace backing up to house. So far it looks like maybe Sexton Mountain...any other areas we should look?

Thank you for your input everyone...we are so excited to be possibly moving back to OR this summer!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 09:10 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,540,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollie55 View Post
Hello all. I've been reading the city-data posts for awhile on Beaverton and am interested in learning more about the International School of Beaverton. 1) Are the class sizes really 28? 2) Have any bullying issues come to light? 3) Is it more of a brainy, serious school clientele? It looks like from the enrollment data available online grade level class sizes start out around 100 but by 12th grade are around 75 ish, why? Just that many kids drop out or transfer to another system?...is it really that hard of a school?

I am aware there is a lottery and the chances with each student look to be about 40-50%. If you do not get in first try, is the lottery the same in subsequent years or do you have a weighted chance if you apply again?

Background: mid-40s married couple, two children, live in So. Indiana within Louisville metro area. 12 years ago lived in Forest Grove for three years while spouse was in graduate school and have longed to return to OR every since.

12 & 10 y/o boy & girl have been in a Classical, Christian education private school thus far, not because we are fundamentalist Christians, 'cause we're not, but for the quality of the education and smaller class and school size. From what is available online, it looks like ISB fits the bill.

We are visiting in 4 weeks for a 12 day house hunt/spring break vacation. Am also interested in learning more about desirable areas in Beaverton to live. Would like 2500 s.f. with a decent yard and a view and/or an awesome greenspace backing up to house. So far it looks like maybe Sexton Mountain...any other areas we should look?

Thank you for your input everyone...we are so excited to be possibly moving back to OR this summer!
I have friends whose kids go to ISB and they love the school! The lottery is strict but keep applying and yes, it's easier to get in for high school because many families choose many of the private schools such as Jesuit. You would probably like Cooper Mountain, Murray Hill and South Beaverton(Hiteon school feed) as well as Sexton Mountain.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:26 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,338,842 times
My kids go to ISB. This is their second year--they are in 7th and 10th grades. Here are some answers:

Quote:
1) Are the class sizes really 28?
Just the other day my 7th grader was talking about how there are 40 kids in one of his classes. It's one of those situations where it's too costly to have two classes with 20 students in each, so the kids and teacher just have to suck it up.

Quote:
2) Have any bullying issues come to light?
Never. It's a very easy going student body from what I have observed, which is incredible considering the age range is basically 11 to 19.

Quote:
3) Is it more of a brainy, serious school clientele?
I would say sort of... It's definitely academic, but my kids have a lot of friends and they do fun things together. Now that I think of it, though, those extracurricular activities are kind of nerdy (Dungeons and Dragons, Magic the Gathering, etc.)

Quote:
It looks like from the enrollment data available online grade level class sizes start out around 100 but by 12th grade are around 75 ish, why? Just that many kids drop out or transfer to another system?...is it really that hard of a school?
I don't know the answer to this. I'm sure it can be attributed to some kids moving out of the school, others moving out of the district, etc. I know that some kids do middle school at ISB and then want to go to their neighborhood high school.

Quote:
I'm not sure 40-50% is accurate. I can't remember what the stats were with regard to the number of slots vs. the number of applications, but I thought it was less than that. The chance of getting in in subsequent years depends a lot on the number of slots that are available in each class. We were told the two years that the most slots are available are 6th and 9th.

You should be aware that ISB is an early-start school. The school day goes from 7:30 to 2pm. So kids have to get up pretty early, especially if they take the bus. We live on the other end of the district from ISB, so my kid's bus comes at 6:08am! Fortunately he's an early riser. Anyway, you may want to keep that in mind as you look for housing.

Good luck, and welcome back!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
My kids go to ISB. This is their second year--they are in 7th and 10th grades. Here are some answers:

Just the other day my 7th grader was talking about how there are 40 kids in one of his classes. It's one of those situations where it's too costly to have two classes with 20 students in each, so the kids and teacher just have to suck it up.

Never. It's a very easy going student body from what I have observed, which is incredible considering the age range is basically 11 to 19.

I would say sort of... It's definitely academic, but my kids have a lot of friends and they do fun things together. Now that I think of it, though, those extracurricular activities are kind of nerdy (Dungeons and Dragons, Magic the Gathering, etc.)

I don't know the answer to this. I'm sure it can be attributed to some kids moving out of the school, others moving out of the district, etc. I know that some kids do middle school at ISB and then want to go to their neighborhood high school.

I'm not sure 40-50% is accurate. I can't remember what the stats were with regard to the number of slots vs. the number of applications, but I thought it was less than that. The chance of getting in in subsequent years depends a lot on the number of slots that are available in each class. We were told the two years that the most slots are available are 6th and 9th.

You should be aware that ISB is an early-start school. The school day goes from 7:30 to 2pm. So kids have to get up pretty early, especially if they take the bus. We live on the other end of the district from ISB, so my kid's bus comes at 6:08am! Fortunately he's an early riser. Anyway, you may want to keep that in mind as you look for housing.

Good luck, and welcome back!
I am curious about the bus. Do your children take Tri-Met? I always thought the Focus Option schools didn't provide transportation.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:25 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,338,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I am curious about the bus. Do your children take Tri-Met? I always thought the Focus Option schools didn't provide transportation.
They ride a BSD school bus. They have to transfer buses in the morning which is one of the reasons the bus comes so early. The afternoon bus doesn't require a transfer, but it drops them off at the high school and they walk home from there--about a mile walk or so.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
They ride a BSD school bus. They have to transfer buses in the morning which is one of the reasons the bus comes so early. The afternoon bus doesn't require a transfer, but it drops them off at the high school and they walk home from there--about a mile walk or so.
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:11 AM

Thank you Yankeemama and jjpop! Your information has been very helpful.

jjpop, Wow! 6:08 for the bus, that IS e-a-r-l-y...going to have to start searching for houses nearby...

It looks like your children got in at 6th & 9th then, was it your first try for your then 9th grader or had you applied in previous years?

Did one get in and the other didn't and they added the sibling the same year or did both get in? I'm wondering how they do that...if one gets in and the other doesn't, do you have to sit out for one year or does the non-lottery winner child automatically get a spot if one is available? Our children will also be applying at 6th and 9th when the most spots are open.

So it looks like busing is available on the BSD bus, good to know.

Glad to hear Magic the Gathering, etc. are things the kids are in to.

How about sports? I have heard from a homeschooler about kids playing on their local BSD teams but it varies by school how easy/accepting the coaches are? The only sport we are interested in is basketball and maybe cross country for reference.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM

Hi again jjpop I forgot to ask about the Boy Scouts, cool or totally uncool? My son is in year one and I'd like to see him stick with it for 2-3 more years to earn his Eagle Scout 'cause he's gotten this far, might as well see it through to the big prize.

I would think the Scouts do a lot of cool things in OR that are unmatched to ~anything~ one can participate in Indiana.

Thank you for your time. City data is awesome!

Old 01-25-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thank you Yankeemama and jjpop! Your information has been very helpful.

jjpop, Wow! 6:08 for the bus, that IS e-a-r-l-y...going to have to start searching for houses nearby...

It looks like your children got in at 6th & 9th then, was it your first try for your then 9th grader or had you applied in previous years?

Did one get in and the other didn't and they added the sibling the same year or did both get in? I'm wondering how they do that...if one gets in and the other doesn't, do you have to sit out for one year or does the non-lottery winner child automatically get a spot if one is available? Our children will also be applying at 6th and 9th when the most spots are open.

So it looks like busing is available on the BSD bus, good to know.

Glad to hear Magic the Gathering, etc. are things the kids are in to.

How about sports? I have heard from a homeschooler about kids playing on their local BSD teams but it varies by school how easy/accepting the coaches are? The only sport we are interested in is basketball and maybe cross country for reference.
Beaverton is supposed to have great rec programs which includes sports. When I lived in Portland people would have their kids do sports in Beaverton because it's so much better out here. The focus option schools don't have the comprehensive programs that the neighborhood schools do so if your kids are great athletes at high school level consider the BSD high schools or Jesuit. For example, when my middle schooler gets to high school she will have many bands at her high school but some of the focus option schools can't offer that. I originally wanted my daughter to apply to ISB but she is a self starter who enjoys a large student body. We came from a smaller school in Portland and she wanted something different. My daughter's state test scores are as high at the new school as they were at her highly ranked Portland school. Band was a huge factor as my daughter doesn't enjoy the sports so being in a strong band program is her team. There are also great private classes of all kinds out this way in WA County, which we take advantage of.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Hi again jjpop I forgot to ask about the Boy Scouts, cool or totally uncool? My son is in year one and I'd like to see him stick with it for 2-3 more years to earn his Eagle Scout 'cause he's gotten this far, might as well see it through to the big prize.

I would think the Scouts do a lot of cool things in OR that are unmatched to ~anything~ one can participate in Indiana.

Thank you for your time. City data is awesome!
There are Boy Scouts out this way for sure. You won't have any problem finding family friendly programs out here and we have great indoor spaces like Sky High, Pump It Up, BigAls- all in Beaverton and Tigard. I meet interesting parents at my kids' classes and activities and often comment on the ease of rearing children out in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland