Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 09:12 PM

77 posts, read 127,388 times

Advertisements

Just had a great 5 day visit to Portland. I live in Denver and visited Seattle last year but decided to pay a visit to Portland and check it out. People seem very friendly similiar to Denver which made me feel welcome as a visitor. Driving around was fairly easy, traffic in places but people on the road seem to be more courteous than Denver for certain. There were a ton of vagrant/homeless downtown but frankly we have the same issue in Denver so not so suprising or a big deal.

I found the cool rainy weather to be refreshing and invigorating not all that cold. I could see where having a fleece with a thin but good hooded rain coat might have been a better way to stay comfortable than what I had.

I'm giving some thought to moving to Portland as I need water and moisture for my skin and eyes. After 20+ plus years in Denver the dryness is causing some issues. I had a chance to visit Tigard, Beaverton and Hillsboro while there. Trying to get some ideas on nice areas to consider based on my lifestyle and budget. I liked Hillsboro but seemed a little far away from the city. If I move I'd likely be working from home but these are the things important to me:

1)Safe area, low crime, not into sketchy areas.
2)Within 15-20 miles of Portland
3)Within close or fairly close proximity to commuter rail or light rail
4)Budget for a single family home would likely be up to lower-mid 400's, willing to buy older property if it is up snuff with building standards and at least somewhat updated. Love lots of trees and vegetation for privacy so this is important.
5)Schools are not a concern as I don't have kids and am single 50 year old guy, outdoorsy active type into sailing, kayaking, hiking and all that stuff. Own a 23 foot sailboat so an RV pad next to house would be icing on the cake but I know these are probably hard to come by.
6)Not into brand new developments which are packed close together with no yard privacy or trees.. This is the norm here in Denver with sprawl and really don't like so much.

You guys have a great city there and hope to make a second trip out in spring/early summer on second scouting trip. Thanks for any helpful suggestions on areas of town to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 AM

65 posts, read 68,779 times
I can't wrap my head around you saying drivers here are better than somewhere quite a ways East. I've been to so many places, lived in several for at least a year each, and Oregon has the worst drivers by quite a bit.

If you're ever bored, go sit by one of the red light cameras in Tigard/Tualatin, guaranteed you don't even have to wait 5 minutes to catch at least 2 people getting ticketed. I'll just let that speak for itself.

I've looked around Portland, and in the suburbs, there really are very few high crime areas. Look at the map on trulia with the crime overlay to see. I've always liked Oregon City but it seems to have the fewest amount of apartments of any suburb. Milwuakie is nice and very close to Portland.

If you like hiking, it's probably worth staying on the East side, because it'll cut up to half an hour off your trips to the foothills if you'd like to go there.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:20 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Near light rail - look at Milwaukie. Wilsonville has commuter rail to the Beaverton Transit Center.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:03 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTomJones View Post
If you're ever bored, go sit by one of the red light cameras in Tigard/Tualatin, guaranteed you don't even have to wait 5 minutes to catch at least 2 people getting ticketed. I'll just let that speak for itself.
I just have to comment... At least those people who blow through red lights are MOVING. Much better than the clowns that get on Hwy 217 (55 mph) and go 45, or the people who don't understand the "zipper" concept and stop --STOP-- in the merge lane, or the slowpoke left lane hogs, or the...

Ok, rant over...

One more thing to the OP: courtesy on the road is great, and I can appreciate that, but following the rules is even better!

Old 02-24-2017, 01:07 PM

412 posts, read 385,674 times
Zipper merging. Slow drivers. Makes me smile to see the same complaints everywhere. Yes, Portland does have some pluses (food carts!!!!!), but it is another place that popularity will ruin for me. Too many anti-tax whiners. Of course, you won't on a 5 day visit get into a conversation with any of them. But live there for a year and I think that'll be one of the unpleasant discoveries.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 PM

846 posts, read 609,364 times
I agree with you that the drivers are courteous. They are bit more aggressive in Denver. I lived in Colorado and the dry air definitely takes a toll on skin and eyes. What you may not realize is that the NW has a low humidity index too. You notice it in the summertime when the rain stops.

Take note that the prices here are a bit more in terms of food, gas, taxes, and entertainment.

I live in Hillsboro and it takes me 25 minutes to get to downtown. That is not too shabby. Unfortunately, traffic on 26 can be pretty bad.

Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland