Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,088 times

Advertisements

Seriously. These bubble gum chewing artsy folks are driving their U Hauls straight into our neighborhoods and driving up rental costs and forcing natives out! I have had more than my quota of people not from here moving here with babies, or plans of babies, and their Vermont money and Harvard education. Portland is not this kind of town! I am sorry you were so oppressed in your small hometown were nobody understood you! BUT! Go somewhere else. Portland's charm is going to disappear. No one that moves here actually stays here. They come here long enough to change the political and economic landscape and decide it is too boring, but in their wake us natives have to deal with high prices and new bills about urban growth. If you don't plan on staying here more than " a few years" than don't bother coming. If you are not going to acculturate -than don't bother. Go somewhere else where they don't have as much pride in sustaining the social vs econ vs green balance. Please. Seriously. "Nice place to visit, please don't stay" Tom McCall. I am tired of it! pay your taxes, register your car and license, get an Oregon education and stay here for more than 10yrs!! I dare you.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Thank you for encouraging the stereotype of native Oregonians (who are fortunately not all this way).

Old 03-04-2008, 03:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
This just makes me want to move to Oregon more. If you think Oregon has too much transient populace, you should try Denver--the way to everywhere else.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 PM

493 posts, read 665,401 times
0/10: /thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:53 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Attn: Anyone who wants to move to Oregon or Portland....

We welcome and embrace you. We want diversity; we want different opinions and ideas. But we also want people who will respect our environment and our way for doing things. We're open to change, believe me. And we're not all misanthropes who can't stand the thought of someone moving into the neighborhood. We're underpopulated with fewer than 40 people per square mile. Bring your talents, your knowledge, your education, your abilities. Enhance our state. We welcome you.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 AM

82 posts, read 355,055 times
Default Portland welcome

Thanks for the invitation! I'm considering permanently relocating from Iowa and I'm considering a city in the Northwest. One thing I like about Oregon is its planning that I learned about in a community and regional planning class. You're ahead of most states!

Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack7y View Post
Thanks for the invitation! I'm considering permanently relocating from Iowa and I'm considering a city in the Northwest. One thing I like about Oregon is its planning that I learned about in a community and regional planning class. You're ahead of most states!
I would suggest visiting first and seeing if reality fits with what you learned in class.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 AM

82 posts, read 355,055 times
Default visiting Portland

Quote:
I would suggest visiting first and seeing if reality fits with what you learned in class.
Yes, it's helpful to have first person experience! I'm visiting in May

Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 AM

273 posts, read 1,755,333 times
I'm moving to Portland. I'm so excited! I did a lot of research on different areas of the country and Portland beat them all.

I don't chew gum and will be embracing the local culture. See you soon!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM

14 posts, read 41,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born and raised View Post
Seriously. These bubble gum chewing artsy folks are driving their U Hauls straight into our neighborhoods and driving up rental costs and forcing natives out! I have had more than my quota of people not from here moving here with babies, or plans of babies, and their Vermont money and Harvard education. Portland is not this kind of town! I am sorry you were so oppressed in your small hometown were nobody understood you! BUT! Go somewhere else. Portland's charm is going to disappear. No one that moves here actually stays here. They come here long enough to change the political and economic landscape and decide it is too boring, but in their wake us natives have to deal with high prices and new bills about urban growth. If you don't plan on staying here more than " a few years" than don't bother coming. If you are not going to acculturate -than don't bother. Go somewhere else where they don't have as much pride in sustaining the social vs econ vs green balance. Please. Seriously. "Nice place to visit, please don't stay" Tom McCall. I am tired of it! pay your taxes, register your car and license, get an Oregon education and stay here for more than 10yrs!! I dare you.
I understand where you are coming from, except the bubble gum part. But prices are going up everywhere and overcrowding exists everywhere too. I have always been somewhat of a gypsy. Not because I want to move a lot, but because it is hard to find a place where I feel that I really love. Moving is also a great adventure, a new perspective on life, a new hope for something better. Taking chances in life offers us the opportunity to grow and not feel as though we stuck in one place for fear of instability. As far as families with kids, my child is grown, but I do relate to parents trying to create a childhood of joy and health for their children. I think that it is very hard to do these days, and I guess people think the Portland area offers a more down to earth healthy lifestyle, but still the ability to earn a living. I know it must suck for someone who sees their city going in a negative direction, but don’t blame it on all of us movers, I for one am just looking for a better life. Also the world is changing around us and I want to be around people who see things more like I do. I am a liberal and an environmentalist and I want to be where plants grow with wild abandon. I hope I have something to offer the area even if it just a positive vibe, and I don’t want to just take. I am bringing a job with me, although I will be looking for housing. I hope to be treated with kindness when I get there, I hope to stay for a long time, and I'll leave the gum behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland