Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
And YET it is making it in New York? Because New York is NOT an international city?
The area of Brooklyn that Pok Pok is in is very upper middle class- wealthy white people and hipster restaurants cater to these people. The demographic isn't real native New Yorkers, in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 01:11 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
I'm not surprised it failed. I think it was one unfortunate incident and decision after another. They started out on a very bad foot with the mandatory non-refundable $20 reservation deposit and the 5% charge for the cooks. I've been told by my friends, location was crappy, unsafe, at least parking wasn't too expensive. Then factor in the hype from PDX and all the local awesomely good Thai food for cheaper, well, you'd better have a big name. They're no Voodoo (when my friends ask me about Voodoo and never heard of Pok Pok even though one was near them, yeah, not big enough yet), so their name can only carry them so far. I like that they use local ingredients, like Burgerville. But also like Burgerville, there are better places with better prices. I hope if he tries again, he'll think about the location; even he realized Chinatown was a bad choice. Honestly, I could see that place doing better in Orange County, like Fashion Island where PF Chang is always crazy busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: