Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:33 AM

32,641 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
........I am not sure why you can't get your own people qualified for a free tiny home that you let the city build for you on your lot...

Annnddd....... The program hasn't even started yet and people are figuring out how to skirt around the rules for personal gain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:45 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
There would have to be more incentive for people to give up their yards and privacy other than they get to keep the house after X number of years of housing a homeless family. That's why I could see the owners kicking out the family living there after the time is up in order to make a profit on their tiny home creating just another homeless family with nowhere to go.

What I wonder is why someone's backyard? What about putting the tiny homes in Dignity Village to replace the tents. Unless things have changed since I lived in Portland, and correct me if they have, the people there police their community and make certain everything is safe for the residents living there.

There must be other spaces that can be utilized as well.

People who become homeless due to hard times and unexpected circumstances through no fault of their own should be able to have the opportunity to maintain their dignity and pride. Camping out in someone's backyard doesn't sound like that would be the case. Giving people in that position a community of their own where they have some control by giving them a community, even a temporary one, I think is a better solution.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:35 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Annnddd....... The program hasn't even started yet and people are figuring out how to skirt around the rules for personal gain
Personal gain?

Its sad to see people- families -- NO not mine, i have no relatives in state. Having to leave after, 10 or 20 years here.

Nice assumption though.

(and why can't you help the people you know? Obviously the ones here who didn't buy- arent on the upper end of the spectrum financially- just working folks that got caught up and pushed out by all this hype)...

Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Listening right now to OPB about this
issue:
- The vetting process for choosing families " still needs to be worked out" however drug addiction and mental illness are not barriers to being chosen.

- families will have access to services by the city but I don't know if there will be visits by the city. This was unclear to me.

- if a homeowner pulls out of the deal before five years the homeowner will be responsible for paying back the city for partial costs of building the ADU.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas Portland ever had.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
issue:
- The vetting process for choosing families " still needs to be worked out" however drug addiction and mental illness are not barriers to being chosen.

- families will have access to services by the city but I don't know if there will be visits by the city. This was unclear to me.

- if a homeowner pulls out of the deal before five years the homeowner will be responsible for paying back the city for partial costs of building the ADU.
This isn't going to exactly make people jump up and volunteer their yards.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This isn't going to exactly make people jump up and volunteer their yards.
Apparently 700 homeowners have already expressed interest but that was without the information that was just given. I missed the rest of the interview but I will check on OPB's website. Yeah, I don't see too many Portlanders agreeing to the terms of this agreement but I could be wrong.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
So I went on Craigslist Portland and looked up "Tiny House" for rent. These are some of the listings in the area. They all say they're ADUs.

Inner NE Portland - Goes by the name "The Nest". It's really artistic and 350 sq ft.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/6037521337.html

Hawthorne/Belmont - It's more simple and standard. It has 300 sq ft.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/6024178067.html

Alameda/Alberta Arts District - This one looks like the Tiny Houses from the front but the inside looks much bigger. It doesn't say the sq. ft. on the listing. It says it's a tiny house but it looks like a standard mother-in-law dwelling.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/6053898905.html

Laurelhurst Park - This one is my favorite. It's charming and it's 800 sq ft. I sent the listing to my husband but he's not going for it.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/6016449100.html

Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Perfect!
This is SO Portland (since the 'homeless camping' thing worked so well LAST yr!!!, there are still folks occupying the dangerous places that have been closed. Often up to 20 people living on a freeway traffic circle, SWEET!)

GOAL... eventually EVERY home in Multnomah county housing 4-5 homeless families!

The pawn Shops are gonna LOVE this!

and Homeowners can make those Monday trips to the pawnshop to buy back their stuff!

Homeowners will LOVE their new taxes (and utility bills) as well!

Eviction sorry... in Oregon, that can take a few yrs.

Perfect!

on the contrary... the homeless were SO offended when Multnomah County offered up a vacant jail, all the infrastructure was in place (including toilets and such) VERY cheap / SF, and within code !

Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
Quote:
issue:

Quote:
Apparently 700 homeowners have already expressed interest but that was without the information that was just given. I missed the rest of the interview but I will check on OPB's website. Yeah, I don't see too many Portlanders agreeing to the terms of this agreement but I could be wrong.
Here we go. OPB posted it on facebook an hour ago. It's an audio about 5 minutes long.

Multnomah County Chair Deborah Kafoury On ADUs For Homeless: 'People Want To Help' . News | OPB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland