Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 03:45 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times

Advertisements

Not sure if its global warming or what, but had a huge bumper crop of tomatoes last year and its been sooooo dry this year- sunny and dry....

Maybe Portland is where you want to be, for these extreme times.....

Old 03-05-2018, 11:38 AM

355 posts, read 390,540 times
All this talk about how horrible the weather is somewhere else. Ever think your body is accosumed to where you lived for most of your life.
Half the people who relocated around the us would move back to there starting point but are unable to because they can't afford it anymore .

Old 03-06-2018, 06:20 PM

199 posts, read 217,163 times
It's been unusually dry and sunny since last June. We got no rain between first week of June and middle of October. Then we got very little rain between October and February. Now it's back to being sunny again. We didn't have a winter at all this year.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:01 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
I was thinking about this thread last week when my family/friends in SoCal were complaining about the 110 degree heat....at the coast! Cuz y'know, perfect weather down there, right?

Can someone turn down the heat, please? We don't need this much.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I was thinking about this thread last week when my family/friends in SoCal were complaining about the 110 degree heat....at the coast! Cuz y'know, perfect weather down there, right?

Can someone turn down the heat, please? We don't need this much.
I’m back in Portland, and it’s unbelievably hot! I’m glad to be moving here, but I hope that future summers aren’t like this! I can’t wait for clouds and light rain again!

Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Summers are likely to be this hot for the next century at least.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:55 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Sorry to burst a ton of peoples bubbles, but this is very typical weather for a Portland summer.

Late July and August get sunny and hot.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:01 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Sorry to burst a ton of peoples bubbles, but this is very typical weather for a Portland summer.

Late July and August get sunny and hot.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
And pray we don't get the smoke we had last year.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:02 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
I was just in San Diego last week (July), and many people I came in contact with thought I would appreciate escaping the cool wet weather of the PNW for the dry warmth of Southern California. They were universally surprised when I told them it was hotter in Portland than it was in S.D.

It always gets into the 90s here in Portland. Any summer we do not get 90 degree weather is the odd summer.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotstoboiledpenuts View Post
All this talk about how horrible the weather is somewhere else. Ever think your body is accosumed to where you lived for most of your life.
Half the people who relocated around the us would move back to there starting point but are unable to because they can't afford it anymore .

The lucky ones don't. We usually have rosey memories of the house, the weather and most else. But especially if you were a kid or grew up in an area very much like it, but in reality its never really been just that, except through inexperienced lens. And there was a reason you moved away. Maybe it didn't turn out right, or you discovered it wasn't so good for you as it seemed it would. But when you got the chance to go, you moved on.

Sometimes the places we came from were but aren't anymore, but they make new places when they change, and often your cherished memories are no more than that now. You don't remember the crowds, the size, the traffic, the heat or the smog. Maybe you have hazy memories of storm season. And even if the place hasn't changed much physically, maybe it used to be an up and coming place but now its an afterthought.

And you might have been a kid, and the best memories, the ones we keep was when Mom and Dad and your grandmother went out to special places on the weekend, but now you barely remember your grandmother, and parents are either older or gone, and its like when your grandmother went to some afterlife, she took something with her too.

Or it may be that as you haven't been there for a decade or more, you just remember it was 'hot', not HOW 'hot', or how miserable it was. And you can breath at home, but forgot how where that cherished place was the air was grey and the smog report was more important than the weather.

I've considered going back to California, but NOT any of the places I lived. I'd still like small town Norcal, one place in particular, but read that they are hot reality and cost wayyyy wayyy too much now. And this has to be a place where I will stay, so it can't be a stop gap sort of place. And likely it just won't be the same. It's true, you can't go home again.

Maybe take a trip, go visit an area which interests you. Don't go by the pr on the place, the traffic and the what it used to be. Expect to find some places are at best cousins to the one in your memories. And when you get over the dissapointment, then start looking at the reality.

No, you can't have everything. But you can listen to what the reality of those memories say and maybe its time to move on from now and back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland