Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:32 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Wait! A positive post?? Whoa! Please drive to the nearest emergency room and get yourself checked out! Of course I kid, but man, these are few and far between.
I know, right?

I get the feeling that alotta folks don't live here anymore...
but just come back to the forum to look...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 03:51 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
According to the Portland Business Journal, Portland's MSA gained 6500 jobs last month, driving the area unemployment rate down to 3.5%.
Tons of barista, telesalesmen and other low-level service jobs most likely.

PDX is awful compared to other major metros for high-end opportunities, especially for younger up and comers. With that said it's fun, clean and pretty (still).

Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompromat View Post
I dont have a budget yet so the cheaper the better. Id prolly rent for a bit, but I wanna buy a house or a townhouse some time. I dont need super pristine areas or good schools so that should make it easier.
Okay, so no amount. Here's a guideline. Average $1600.00. Lowest $1400.00 according to this.

This is just one website though. There are quite a few you can browse through including Craig's List.

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...r-rent-trends/

Old 04-12-2017, 08:17 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Portland metro has gotten more expensive in the last five years so without that extra spending money it's difficult to enjoy many indoor activities here. The summer is great because there are so many cheap and free ways to spend your days. I think Portland proper is still the same as it was five years ago in terms of architecture and the way the neighborhoods feel. The difference is that it's much more expensive and rightfully so, long timers are pissed off... if they are still around. The homeless problem seems to have creeped out into the residential neighborhoods as well. That may be shocking to the OP since it's gotten worse.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:02 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Tons of barista, telesalesmen and other low-level service jobs most likely.

PDX is awful compared to other major metros for high-end opportunities, especially for younger up and comers. With that said it's fun, clean and pretty (still).

Actually, according to the BLS, the PDX's February 2017 average private hourly wage of $27.66 is higher than the average hourly wage in Greater Houston, The MetroPlex (DFW) and Greater San Antonio.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Actually, according to the BLS, the PDX's February 2017 average private hourly wage of $27.66 is higher than the average hourly wage in Greater Houston, The MetroPlex (DFW) and Greater San Antonio.
Not exactly a high end wage and you're looking at an immense cost of living difference between the PDX suburbs and the suburbs of the metros you quoted.

Now take a look at high end white collar jobs that young professionals actually want. Portland just doesn't have the industries to support making $200K+ a year for many people. You've got a little bit of tech, but even then you are well-well behind many other metros in that regard.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Not exactly a high end wage and you're looking at an immense cost of living difference between the PDX suburbs and the suburbs of the metros you quoted.

Now take a look at high end white collar jobs that young professionals actually want. Portland just doesn't have the industries to support making $200K+ a year for many people. You've got a little bit of tech, but even then you are well-well behind many other metros in that regard.
$200Kplus?
wow the median wage in Portland metro is more like $55,000!
Plus I don't think people are moving here to get rich...

Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
$200Kplus?
wow the median wage in Portland metro is more like $55,000!
Plus I don't think people are moving here to get rich...
In Houston $200K+ in the oil industry for a young professional isn't all that big of a deal. Same thing for tech in San Fran and Seattle.

I agree with you on the latter. Portland is a great place for the right type of person and situation. Your career possibilities will be limited and moving up the class ladder will be hard, *but* the nature is second to none, the scenic beauty, and if you're a progressive thinker all the better.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:23 PM

119 posts, read 156,130 times
I can't stand dark, cold and depressing Portland. Just got back from a week of visiting family. Couldn't wait to leave. Awful place.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
I can't stand dark, cold and depressing Portland. Just got back from a week of visiting family. Couldn't wait to leave. Awful place.
We miss you already, Jimmy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland