Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Wow, 147 days of rain! It felt like it. I am from CA but my hometown is SF and any suburb an hour away is more expensive than Portland. Los Angeles was affordable ten years ago but now Burbank's average home price is over 600k. But you may run into Leonardo at the juice bar near Universal Studios. OMG... I should TOTALLY sell my house in Beaverton and pay more than twice the amount for a crappy fixer in Burbank. Sounds good. Voodoo and Blue Star are in Los Angeles now. Salt and Straw, too! Portland is more appealing to transplants than ever before. Get used to it.

What does Gary Owens think of 'beautiful downtown Burbank' now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 02:42 PM

356 posts, read 409,290 times
Keep trollin', trollin', trollin'
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them dogies trollin'
Rawhide!
Through rain and wind together
Hell-bent for better weather
Wishin' my keyboard was by my side
All the things I'm missin'
Good sunlight, warmth, I'm wishin'
Are waiting at the end of my ride.

(with apologies to Ned Washington and Frankie Laine)

Old 05-01-2017, 03:42 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,942,046 times
i still think the portland metro is one of the best on the west coast.. it may not be for everybody - but that's why you have the option to move if you don't like where you live. Some people LOVE LA and think it's great to have a sunny locale that's trendy and close to everything.. Others can't stand the crowds and the traffic. To each their own.. JB keep trollin- you seem to like it.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 AM

71 posts, read 60,761 times
I recently moved back to Portland. I've actually been embracing the changes. The population explosion is the most notable. As little as five years ago you could drive nearly anywhere in this 'town' at most times quite easily. Now its turned into more of a big city chore. This winter I'm told has been exceptionally bad. Its strange growing up here I never really noticed so never thought of it that way- I just always know great weather is on the way. It also seems like no one is from here anymore. Theres a large amount of people who want to brag about being local too. When did we turn into Hawaiians!? lol. I welcome people from everywhere. The truth is all cities develop and evolve. Portland has just done it, in this phase, quickly and to the dismay of many. Sometimes I think some of the Portland-centric issues discussed on these threads are more west coast ones. The west coast is just becoming ridiculously expensive. I guess what I'm saying is some things I like, some things I dont, and everywhere has its good and bad? Are there any great alternatives to Portland on the west coast; San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Salt Lake, San Diego, Phoenix, and even Denver (if were talking 'out west') all have a list of good and bad just like Portland- so does it even matter that much? I do ponder what is next for these parts. I know some of the midwestern cities have many of the same amenities for less price, but can you really move anywhere in the Midwest in any of the greater cities in the better areas and save that much compared to places like Portland? I don't think so.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:50 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbar View Post
I know some of the midwestern cities have many of the same amenities for less price, but can you really move anywhere in the Midwest in any of the greater cities in the better areas and save that much compared to places like Portland? I don't think so.
Is this some sort of trick to try and get people to list all the Midwestern cities where you can live in a desirable area for under $1,000 a month still in the hopes of drawing people away from Portland?

Old 05-08-2017, 04:44 PM

36 posts, read 37,652 times
Same anti immigrant sentiment as way back in the Tom McCall 60's days. Grew up there, lived for 32 years.
It's nonsense. YOU wanted PDX to be a BIG city.
Portland has had an inferiority complex as long as I can remember, always the smallest and most provincial ( BY FAR ) of West Coast cities. Always trashing other more sophisticated towns, can never just be itself.
But you WANTED it to be a Metropolis.
You got all the city problems, with few of the compensating good things.
Defensive about a DONUT SHOP???REALLY????? And you don't think you are still provincial?????

Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 PM
HRW

83 posts, read 87,961 times
Only 13 reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland