Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,888,139 times

Advertisements

I have a quick question that I'm asking on my friend's behalf. She's a native Seattleite currently living in Fargo and wanting to move back to the PNW to be close to family. It's looking like she might able to transfer to Portland. But, now she's got a dog, that's on the large side (not even a year old and ~75 lbs). I'm concerned that Portland is like Seattle where it's dog friendly but finding rentals that are dog friendly almost impossible. I'm wondering if I have the correct notion? Does Portland do pet rent as well?

I'm wondering if anyone have any recent experience finding apartments with dogs. I searched but it seems a lot of the threads centered on dogs and rentals are much older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
Tell her to try Reliance Property management. They have always allowed dogs. This may have changed in the three years I've been gone but it's worth a shot.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I have a quick question that I'm asking on my friend's behalf. She's a native Seattleite currently living in Fargo and wanting to move back to the PNW to be close to family. It's looking like she might able to transfer to Portland. But, now she's got a dog, that's on the large side (not even a year old and ~75 lbs). I'm concerned that Portland is like Seattle where it's dog friendly but finding rentals that are dog friendly almost impossible. I'm wondering if I have the correct notion? Does Portland do pet rent as well?

I'm wondering if anyone have any recent experience finding apartments with dogs. I searched but it seems a lot of the threads centered on dogs and rentals are much older.

Portland is 'dog-friendly' as long as you are a homeowner. Just like Portland is housing-friendly as long as you are a homeowner.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:44 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,914,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Portland is 'dog-friendly' as long as you are a homeowner. Just like Portland is housing-friendly as long as you are a homeowner.
I think this is true but I do see many dogs at apartment complexes here in Beaverton but the rent in this area is not cheap. I am not sure what the weight maximum is though.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:57 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,482,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I think this is true but I do see many dogs at apartment complexes here in Beaverton but the rent in this area is not cheap. I am not sure what the weight maximum is though.
Good point. In Portland proper the new apartment buildings usually allow dogs and will sometimes have special accommodations for them like a dog wash room and poop stations next to the building. But the downside is those apartments are very expensive.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:07 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
A few rentals allow dogs, but mostly small breeds. The places that allow big dogs, generally won't allow the dogs on their insurance company's dangerous dog list. So the breed of dog is going to make a big difference in obtaining one of those rare rentals that allows big dogs.

Honest confession: I am a landlord and as soon as any applicant tries to get me to accept them without identifying the breed of their dog, I assume it is a pitbull and that is an automatic rejection. I see a lot of housing wanted ads on Craigslist that need a place for a dog and if there is no breed identification or picture of the dog, I assume it is a pitbull and I pass on the ad. That is because 99% of the tenant pitbull owners in Oregon try to pass their dog off as a different breed or else hide the dog from the landlord. I'm not the only landlord who is jaded by the search for a place to sneak a pitbull in. I've seen far too much of it.

So, a suggestion for your friend. If the dog is some sort of breed that is generally considered to be safe natured, like most of the gun dog breeds or a Standard Poodle or some breed like that, be sure to identify the breed to the landlord when inquiring about renting.

Your friend will also help herself if she immediately enrolls the dog in an obedience course and starts to put an obedience title on it. Canine Good Citizen is better than nothing, but it is not as good as an obedience title.

I do not accept puppies and many landlords do not accept puppies, so that is another problem your friend is going to face. It's absolutely beyond me why any tenant who knows they will be moving gets a puppy right before they move.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 05-01-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-01-2017, 10:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,947,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

I have looked for apartments in more than 8 cities and towns across 4 states and haven't found ANY difference between them with respects to renting with pets. We have cats. But pet friendly usually means dogs under 20lbs. and cats of any size. A very few have allowed dogs but not cats. But in the wild and woolly world of private landlord rentals ANYTHING GOES. If a landlord likes you and also likes dogs you could have your large breed or bully breed or any combination of the two with no problem. We currently are paying a pet deposit, but not pet rent. Some companies want both a pet deposit and extra pet rent. We have in the past not even paid a deposit. I would not take an apartment that charged pet rent.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:10 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,947,400 times
there's lots of pet-friendly housing but most is breed restrictive (sometimes size limits). your friend won't be able to be too picky; but there are options. Hopefully your friend has good credit and a strong work history as any other negatives could be a deal-breaker in such a hot rental market. Also, i would suggest that s/he widen the rental search to the portland metro (even the vancouver side) to have more options. I had two dogs and rented for a bit in lake oswego before moving to the washington side and purchasing.

best of luck

Old 05-01-2017, 04:21 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,075,383 times
I haven't looked for apts for about 2 years now, so things could have changed with the market. Also, most thing I looked at are run by big management companies (owns many properties) and were not individual listings by people.
  • First and foremost, if the dog is a "bully breed" or a typical "restricted breed", almost no one will rent to your friend.
  • Second, there is usually a pet rent (~$25/pet) and a pet deposit (~300+)
  • Third, most places I've ever looked at have a maximum pet allowance, but not typically a weight limit.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,888,139 times
I'll relay the advices to her. Her former roommate dumped the dog on her and now she has an attachment. She'll work with this dog and see if Portland will still be a viable move. Thank you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland