Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 02:47 AM

810 posts, read 851,839 times

Advertisements

Been in the Northwest for almost 29 years now. Seems like you learn to tolerate and get on with life. i hate here I am sick of the gloomy days and rain. If we had some decent thunderstorms might make it better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 09:00 AM

812 posts, read 1,061,747 times
If you are used to sunny S CA and already suffer from depression, think long and hard about moving to the wet side of the PNW.

One of our daughters is has a tendency for depression and still lives in Seattle in spite of a yearly battle to literally keep her alive in the Fall with her severe SAD. We really wish she would move to a sunnier location for her survival, but she loves the Seattle scene and has a good job there.

We survived 31 years on the wet side. I am very outdoorsy and hiked easily a thousand or more miles a year. My wife is an artist and usually isn't even aware of what the weather is outside. Sure you can and should get outside. After a few decades the grey got to us and we escaped to sunnier climate.

It is also a bit of a psychological hit to go to work and come home in the dark, without ever seeing daylight, for a good chunk of the Fall and winter.

I notice after a "tough" winter in our sunnier location, a lot of southern Californians are putting up "For Sale" signs in our neighborhood.

Just sayin'

Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
I guess if you want to make it on the "wet side", you are either an indoor person who doesn't really care what the weather is outside, or an outside person who doesn't care what the weather is doing.

I am the latter.
Plus, I really do prefer wet gloomy weather to hot sunny weather.

The last two hot humid days were really uncomfortable for me.
At least there was a nice breeze on Wednesday!

But I do love summertime as long as the humidity stays down.
The heat makes my old bones feel better, but I don't like steam baths.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:31 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post

I notice after a "tough" winter in our sunnier location, a lot of southern Californians are putting up "For Sale" signs in our neighborhood.

Just sayin'
I wondered if we would be seeing people throw in the towel after this loooooooonnnnnnggg winter. It's been tough for me and I've lived most of my life in gloomy winter weather places.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:39 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
People in the PNW have it great! Summers are really nice, and you don't have to deal with heat like we do in Southern California, consider yourselves lucky.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:03 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Las Vegas is a great vacation spot when the weather is driving you nuts here. I couldn't go anywhere during spring trek though because the flu and norm- virus were long lasting so I still long for a vacation. The last few days were not that comfortable because I don't have my air conditioners out yet.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
People in the PNW have it great! Summers are really nice, and you don't have to deal with heat like we do in Southern California, consider yourselves lucky.
The summers are heaven here though San Diego weather is nice with beautiful beaches to go with.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:48 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
The summers are heaven here though San Diego weather is nice with beautiful beaches to go with.
Ok, that's true. San Diego is really nice, but also sooooo expensive!

Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,047 times
Quote:
With our crazy housing, the price-to-income ratio is probably the same now. It's almost the same from when I left CA (meaning, the ratio I was paying in OC in 2013 is about the same in 2017 in OR).

Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
That's what I hear about SD now and people are saying it's becoming less laid back but I don't know about that. I love Santa Barbara- SLO Area too but everything near water is expensive. I think I am your parents' age since I read that your dad in his 40's wears Vans. Of course he does.😏 Anyways, ask him about the good old days and how cheap and awesome it was. In the early 90's I paid $300. for rent in SF at some point with three roommates. My friends in SD paid that with less roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: