Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
I'm interested in a shared ride because it's cheaper, and because I have the time (and I actually enjoy meeting people). I'm not interested in intercity shuttles. I want to go from PDX to SE Portland.
Because of the two bolded reasons above, why not take public transportation? MAX to bus? I know others have suggested it, but I didn't see you saying yay or nay.

Oh, and yes, Uber has a pool option. You choose which level of service you want. I think Lyft might also, but I'm not 100% sure (I didn't use them). I'm not sure if the pool is specific to how many drivers are available, or what, but it was always an option when I was in New Jersey for 3 days (I used Uber 6x).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 PM

356 posts, read 409,895 times
Real simple reason not to rely on a bus. My destination is 3/4 mile away from a bus stop, and the TriMet buses that go there from Max stations stop at 5pm. I'll look into pool options. So we're not just talking cheaper and time, but legwork and schedule as well. If I'm coming from the airport, I have a suitcase. I am really puzzled about why SuperShuttle isn't at PDX.

Last edited by Dwayne Lassiter; 06-20-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
.......... I am really puzzled about why SuperShuttle isn't at PDX.
If it is really important to you, I suggest that you write to them and ask them.

I suspect that the answer is that they really don't want to.

FYI, posting "why isn't Oregon just like the place I left" is not the best way to endear yourself to folks in Oregon.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:36 AM

C'mon. Give me a break. I never expressed disappointment that Oregon isn't like the place I left. I travel a lot, and SuperShuttles are convenient. That was the only point I was making. I'm trying to find a solution, and not endear myself to anyone. Making stuff up isn't that endearing either ....

Gosh, you think SuperShuttle isn't at PDX because they don't want to be there? That's a brilliant deduction. I was curious if anyone knew why. It may be a reason, or a piece of history, that SuperShuttle is reluctant to admit.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:02 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Maybe this sheds some light on the situation. I can remember there always being some sort of controversy over who gets to open cab companies in Portland.

Deregulate Portland, Oregon's Taxi Industry

Old 06-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Thank you. Yes, that's fascinating, and quite possibly applicable. Certainly airport shuttles would have been seen as a threat to the cab industry. Have to wonder if the "cab cartel" then resulted in airport shuttles being suppressed. Of course, these days, Uber could legally flatten any such legislated protection for cab companies. Any consortium of local cab companies wouldn't have a chance against Uber, whose pot of legal dough completely dwarfs any such local efforts. Uber has spent millions of dollars to suppress local decisions in each of many many cities.

That's kinda why I don't like Uber.

I'm sure if I got in touch with SuperShuttle, this would be the kind of story they wouldn't want to circulate if they just washed their hands of Portland. It would involve admitting that the cab cartel got the better of them. Not something they'd like to suggest to other cities. But I may try asking them anyway.

Oh, I just figured out that Uber is in Portland because they want to be there. Hallelujah!

Last edited by Dwayne Lassiter; 06-21-2017 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Maybe SuperShuttle isn't in Portland for the same reasons it's not in Seattle, Chicago, or Atlanta.

Looking at their locations, I wonder if certain state (and maybe city) regulations keep them out of some areas.

Have you tried Blue Star? Bunch of mile-long negative Yelp reviews, but it could be an option. I wouldn't rule it out until I tried it...Yelp reviews aren't that reliable IMO.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-21-2017 at 06:48 PM..

Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 PM

Well geez. Why didn't I find Blue Star? That's a little more pricey than I would have expected, but might do the trick. Thanks very much. They have a "base rate", and you add $3 each for additional passengers. I have to wonder if the base rate is if there is no one else going when you want to go.

One good reason that SuperShuttle isn't at PDX might be because Blue Star is! Boy, this was harder than it should have been ...

Old 07-01-2017, 11:35 PM

22 posts, read 76,569 times
I've taken SuperShuttle a few times in the past in other cities, but avoid them completely since Uber/Lyft came onto the scene. Why? I really don't appreciate a 30 minute ride ending up to be 1.5 to 2 hours. Every single time I've ever tried to get on one from the airport, it's always about a 45 minute wait. Then the shuttles would drive in some crazy route where I would end up arriving a lot later...and then the frustration of paying $32 for what would be $35 in a regular cab (and way less on Uber/Lyft). Trying to get to the airport is a whole different story. Ever tried to get a SuperShuttle on short notice? Not happening without some drama from them about not reserving 24 hours in advance. Taxi cartel or not, I think their service and product is of poor value and I'm glad they're not here at PDX. As far as getting to PDX, I'm in a part of Hillsboro that's not near a Max station. I take a Lyft to Beaverton TC and hop the Max from there. Way quicker and way more convenient that SuperShuttle.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:48 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley_Coyote View Post
I've taken SuperShuttle a few times in the past in other cities, but avoid them completely since Uber/Lyft came onto the scene. Why? I really don't appreciate a 30 minute ride ending up to be 1.5 to 2 hours. Every single time I've ever tried to get on one from the airport, it's always about a 45 minute wait. Then the shuttles would drive in some crazy route where I would end up arriving a lot later...and then the frustration of paying $32 for what would be $35 in a regular cab (and way less on Uber/Lyft). Trying to get to the airport is a whole different story. Ever tried to get a SuperShuttle on short notice? Not happening without some drama from them about not reserving 24 hours in advance. Taxi cartel or not, I think their service and product is of poor value and I'm glad they're not here at PDX. As far as getting to PDX, I'm in a part of Hillsboro that's not near a Max station. I take a Lyft to Beaverton TC and hop the Max from there. Way quicker and way more convenient that SuperShuttle.

Since I am unable to drive much now, I'm thinking of starting with Uber and/or Lyft. Do they pick you up right after you call? If you only need 15 min at the dr will they wait for you? None of the senior shuttles that are supposed to help ever seem available any more. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland