Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 PM

43 posts, read 46,310 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are looking into buying a home in the Sexton Mountain neighborhood of Beaverton. I have some questions:

- How is the commute into downtown during rush hour? Yes, I would be taking the MAX. Where is the best transit stop to catch the MAX and also be able to park my car?

- What's the general vibe in SM? I fell in love with the Bethany area and also Cedar Mills but unfortunately, there are no homes right now in those areas that fit our criteria. How does SM compare to these 2 areas of Beaverton?

Thanks for any and all information.

And no, before anyone suggests just moving closer in to the city to cut down on the commute, we have no interest in living in PDX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieNfamily View Post
My spouse and I are looking into buying a home in the Sexton Mountain neighborhood of Beaverton. I have some questions:

- How is the commute into downtown during rush hour? Yes, I would be taking the MAX. Where is the best transit stop to catch the MAX and also be able to park my car?

- What's the general vibe in SM? I fell in love with the Bethany area and also Cedar Mills but unfortunately, there are no homes right now in those areas that fit our criteria. How does SM compare to these 2 areas of Beaverton?

Thanks for any and all information.

And no, before anyone suggests just moving closer in to the city to cut down on the commute, we have no interest in living in PDX.
You can drive to Miliken stop where there is park and ride. I am thinking the train ride is about 20 minutes depending on your stop. Sexton Mountain has a mix of people- conservative, liberal, Nike and Intel families, long time Oregonians, CA transplants. It's a good mix of people and the area is pretty. It reminds me of a community you would find in NorCal more so than other parts of the metro. You would feel comfortable I am guessing. It's not super diverse compared to other parts of Beaverton but the neighborhood school has a reputation for being welcoming.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Thanks Yankeemama,
We checked out the neighborhood and the house this weekend and fell in love. It really is a very pretty area like you said. Fingers crossed that it works out for us

Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieNfamily View Post
Thanks Yankeemama,
We checked out the neighborhood and the house this weekend and fell in love. It really is a very pretty area like you said. Fingers crossed that it works out for us
I am glad to hear this! Yay! I am crossing fingers for you guys! Reach out with any questions you have and if I don't know I will ask around for you.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:59 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
MAX will take you there, but it's not perfect.
It is crowded, and most importantly, drive from Sexton Mountain to nearest MAX station is no fun.
It may not look far on the map, but the Beaverton traffic is terrible, especially in the afternoon. The drive may easily take you 20 or more minutes each way + finding the parking at the MAX station.

You have another alternative that IMHO is better - bus 92 South Beaverton Express.
It has couple of stops on Murray Boulevard (next to Sexton Mountain)
Perhaps you may even be able to walk to the bus, or do a short drive and park in the Murray Hill shopping center parking lot.
Many years ago I was taking this bus to downtown. It has to fight the traffic, just like cars, but the overall trip time is likely to be shorter than the drive+MAX option.

https://trimet.org/schedules/r092.htm

Old 05-22-2017, 04:53 PM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
It is crowded, and most importantly, drive from Sexton Mountain to nearest MAX station is no fun.
It may not look far on the map, but the Beaverton traffic is terrible, especially in the afternoon. The drive may easily take you 20 or more minutes each way + finding the parking at the MAX station.

You have another alternative that IMHO is better - bus 92 South Beaverton Express.
Perhaps you may even be able to walk to the bus, or do a short drive and park in the Murray Hill shopping center parking lot.
Many years ago I was taking this bus to downtown. It has to fight the traffic, just like cars, but the overall trip time is likely to be shorter than the drive+MAX option.

I know only of one person in that area of Beaverton that rides MAX to work, and she uses the Express Bus to connect on days when her husband can't drop her off. South Beaverton is just too far.

But doesn't line 62 (Scholls to Murray) end up at Sunset Transit? Again, though, it's a slow ride to get there.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Sexton Mountain is right near Park And Ride at Miliken.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Sexton Mountain is right near Park And Ride at Miliken.
No, it's not.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...4d-122.8424142

And again, even if it's just a few miles, just crossing the hwy 8/10 may take 10 minutes (speaking from experience)

Quote:
But doesn't line 62 (Scholls to Murray) end up at Sunset Transit? Again, though, it's a slow ride to get there.
Right, but the advantage of line 92 is that goes from Murray Hill/Sexton Mountain straight to downtown.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
No, it's not.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Se...4d-122.8424142

And again, even if it's just a few miles, just crossing the hwy 8/10 may take 10 minutes (speaking from experience)

Right, but the advantage of line 92 is that goes from Murray Hill/Sexton Mountain straight to downtown.
I don't consider ten minutes a long drive. I drive to Miliken and it takes around ten minutes. And yes, the bus is a good idea, too!

Old 05-25-2017, 06:39 AM

Hmm... this is all very interesting and helpful. I had just assumed that I would go to the Park n ride and hop on the MAX to get to work. Well, I may have to test out the options mentioned above and see which one would be less problematic. Luckily, the job will be only 4 days a week with a possible work from home option every once in a while.

Thanks for all the comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: