Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:43 AM

5 posts, read 2,775 times

Advertisements

I'm a long time lurker on the forums and finally decided to register. I hope to move to the area in 2 years, so I'm doing my research now to make sure I'm making the right decision. I'm currently a licensed practical nurse in Indiana and am in the process of finishing up my Associate's and am going directly into an online RN-BSN program, so I may possibly be finished with that as well by the time I move.

I'm curious if anyone knows how the job market is for nurses firsthand, specifically in the mental health field? I plan on attending OHSU so that I can keep going towards my goal of being a mental health nurse practitioner. Anyone have suggestions on housing as far as what areas to look into that are near the university? I'm a pretty laid back person. 31yr old single female, quiet, a "go with the flow" type person. My club days are nearing to an end, thankfully lol, so an active nightlife not important. But I do like coffee houses and dive bars. I also value diversity as far as people and activities. Really looking forward to exploring the hiking trails.

I have an English Mastiff and am hoping that it would not be an issue when it comes to rentals. He's very low maintenance, however he's about 150lbs so that causes some difficulty when places have breed/weight restrictions.

I know Portland is overflowing with transplants, so I'm trying to do as much research ahead of time to make sure it's the right move for me. And definitely not moving until I secure a job and housing. If anyone has any ideas on what areas I should look into, it would be greatly appreciated. Want to have a list of places to go to when I make my visits up that way. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by toosie; 06-02-2017 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Added "not" re: mastiff issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 11:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,768,926 times
I have a friend who just finished up the psychiatric nurse practitioner program at OHSU and was fairly pleased with it. She is now in private practice in Eugene (wanted out of Portland, which was a little too large for her). It took her about 4 weeks to find the job she really wanted and she had multiple offers in Portland.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:12 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,892,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmystonicx View Post
I have an English Mastiff and am hoping that it would be an issue when it comes to rentals.
I know some people like to roll the rock uphill but... really? Ok... in any case... 2 years? You might want to put this in the 'Psychic and Paranormal Experiences' forum. I'm not certain that even the weather will be the same in two years as now. As I understand it, Nursing at all levels is maxxed out except for the US Military. But things like this are said about all kinds of jobs and professions and Nurses still get jobs and Baristas get jobs, and Tattoo artists and Masseuses get jobs... you will get a job, somehow, when the time comes. In the meantime, chill, enjoy life. Pray that we don't get the promised 'Subduction Zone Earthquake' until after you are here. It would seriously suck to miss that.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,768,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Nursing at all levels is maxxed out except for the US Military.
That was not at all my friend's experience (last year) and particularly not in the psychiatric NP field - most of the mental health programs in Oregon are desperate for trained personnel.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,647 posts, read 57,711,301 times
Are you gonna work your way through school, or have your future employer pay?

I have a friend in Psych nursing at Adventist Medical (for last 30 yrs) near Gateway MAX (eastside). Great job, employer, Sustainable HC environment, and fairly ez to get to OHSU for school.

3 neighbors and a niece work at OHSU .
Not the most "happy campers" as employees (quite common with OHSU)

VA medical is a big employer in Portland and Vancouver. After a brief tenure, they may pay / support your continuing ed. (My sis got 3 nursing degrees from VA... 100% paid. including RNA / residency program. She worked one day / month to keep benefits, but was not required to work during RNA, yet got full pay, +living expenses and free college / edu.) Over 1/2 her career at VA was spent in school (great way to earn a pension!!

Advantage to working in Vancouver, WA VA (includes Psych rehab) = NO state income tax (very helpful during wage earning years). ~ 20 min commute to OHSU (except rush hour, which shouldn't be a problem for classes) Vancouver, WA VA runs a shuttle from Vancouver VA to Portland VA (next door to OHSU).

Very nice places to live near Vancouver VA (Officers Row / Central Park)

dogs.... as a landlord I have no advice 50 yrs as a pet owner, my 'farm' dog(s) have never asked, nor desired to come into a 'people' house. They would be really bored if in a house or confined to a pen. Adventure abounds outside! They are VERY happy Campers

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-01-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 12:56 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,368,688 times
You might want to search the Oregon forum for nurse or RN to see what others have to say. One issue may be finding a decent nursing job while you work on your Bachelors degree. Sorry for such an awkward cut and paste but nomystery posted this on 5/23/2015 in the Portland subforum:

Before I moved to Portland I talked with nurse recruiters at a number of hospitals. Short story is I was fed a line of PC lies. They ONLY want Bachelor degreed RN's. Now I get to work in a depressing nursing home as I try to figure out how to get out of my lease. Save yourself nurses and don't blindly move to Portland regardless of your experience.

Response:

We have lots of NRs with Bachelor degrees, that is the level of the qualifications of Portland job applicants. Unfortunately you didn't know that.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:51 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,498,044 times
I agree that finding a job with the VA may get you the best options. There may even be a job with them in your current community and after a couple years apply for a transfer.

For a start contact your nearest VA with mental health services for an 'informational interview'. Come to that meeting with a list of questions, including professional development, but for heaven's sake don't talk about transfer opportunities. They won't invest in you if they think you are a short timer.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM

32,545 posts, read 47,663,179 times
I don't know how many nursing jobs are going to be available in Portland.

The dog, on the other hand, is going to make it difficult to rent. If landlords accept dogs, they almost always have a size limit. The mastiff might possibly run afoul of the insurance ban on bully breeds.

Not to say that you can't find a place to rent, but it is going to be difficult.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:03 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,498,044 times
It will be an issue, no doubt about that.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 2,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I know some people like to roll the rock uphill but... really? Ok... in any case... 2 years? You might want to put this in the 'Psychic and Paranormal Experiences' forum. I'm not certain that even the weather will be the same in two years as now. As I understand it, Nursing at all levels is maxxed out except for the US Military. But things like this are said about all kinds of jobs and professions and Nurses still get jobs and Baristas get jobs, and Tattoo artists and Masseuses get jobs... you will get a job, somehow, when the time comes. In the meantime, chill, enjoy life. Pray that we don't get the promised 'Subduction Zone Earthquake' until after you are here. It would seriously suck to miss that.
I am a very goal driven person, so I naturally tend to have expectations for myself. Considering the fact that I'll be uprooting my life and traveling on the other side of the country, I don't think preparation in the form of gaining information is a negative thing. I'm not one to make rash and irresponsible decisions. I understand I will eventually get a job. I was originally planning on moving to Anchorage (I know, total different climate) but the demand for practitioners are not as high. I'm certainly not trying to find a job now. That wouldn't make any sense at all. Like I said, nothing wrong with having something to work up to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: