Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 PM

199 posts, read 217,163 times

Advertisements

Growing up, I always thought that Oregon is a very fertile place with lots of rain and moderate climate, but lately as I've been trying to grow my own fruits, I found out that there are many fruit varieties that will either not grow here at all or grow in a way that won't be very fruitful. I've had good experiences with fig, blueberries and strawberries but everything else I've tried either failed or yielded mixed results so far (apples, almond, cherries, peach). My question is, what do you guys usually grow that grows nicely in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 09:12 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
our friends have a massive stand of raspberries that are thriving (they gave us some starts and they are budding out nicely).... so I can say raspberries....
The other fruit (we have yet to start but most of our neighbors have them)- is grapes- my SO favors the seeded thick skinned old fashioned variety (Concord?) but most seem to thrive here!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:29 AM

356 posts, read 409,387 times
At least apples and peaches grow fabulously in this area. You need to get in touch with the Portland Fruit Tree grass-roots, non-profit project who, I believe, in exchange for some fruit that you produce, to benefit the needy, will teach you about proper ways to successfully grow fruit trees in Portland. They used to actively maintain residential trees and orchards, but I think now they just do teaching of responsible horticulture.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:59 AM

472 posts, read 525,989 times
I see an abundance of pears in my area.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:33 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
What grows? Apples, pears, cherries. Peaches and nectarines will grow but the tree is short lived because there is too much water for a peach tree. Peach tree will live longer if you protect it from too much water.

Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, marion berries, asparagus, rhubarb, all grow.

In some areas of Portland, you can grow the cold hardy figs. Mostly Desert King.

Maybe plums, especially cold hardy varieties, and apricots.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:38 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
I had no problems with figs and plums when I lived in the Woodstock neighborhood.
Didn't know the kinds though, they were planted long before I moved in.

Also had apples, cherries, pears, and my neighbor had some kind of kiwis.

Plants, Trees, Shrubs, Roses, Annuals, Perennials - All at Portland Nursery

Old 06-09-2017, 01:29 PM

356 posts, read 409,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
You need to get in touch with the Portland Fruit Tree grass-roots, non-profit project who, I believe, in exchange for some fruit that you produce, to benefit the needy, will teach you about proper ways to successfully grow fruit trees in Portland. They used to actively maintain residential trees and orchards, but I think now they just do teaching of responsible horticulture.
Portland Fruit Tree Project - Home

My experience with them is that at least for one year, they'll walk you through the process of getting a productive fruit harvest. I'm pretty sure they stay organic. They pick and give about 20 tons of fruit to local food banks every year. I believe it may be too late in the growing season to register your tree with them, but they may still be taking registrations for orchards.

It's more than what grows "nicely" in this area. You have to do it right, and they will show you how to do it right.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:53 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,652,432 times
Bing cherries grow pretty well. Plums and prunes rarely need much attention. Blackberries are overly abundant to the point I consider it a pest plant. I love the berries, hate the stray vines popping up all over.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Bing cherries were developed in Milwaukie, Oregon on that bluff on the down river side of where Johnson Creek enters the Willamette.

Present day Waverley Country Club was the site of the main orchard.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-09-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
Not sure if it's a good fruit plant in Portland, but I've heard kiwi grow well in the S. Willamette valley around Eugene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland