Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
If that were true, those home sellers are morons. As if there personal vendetta is going to change anything.
Having said that I doubt very much it is true at at least would not extend beyond .0001% of sellers.
All I said is that no one has any real way of knowing whether certain homeowners don't just quietly refuse to sell to transplants and that I've heard some casually talk as if they would. My aunt did when someone from Saudi wanted to buy her property in Lake O. They approached her; though, it wasn't on the market yet.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-07-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 06:54 PM

356 posts, read 409,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And I didn't mention it as something "that people have to be careful of."
Maybe I misread? We were talking about sellers.

Quote:
Sellers have to be careful when turning down offers based on personal reasons and therefore don't go blabbing that sort of thing around.
I do agree that we have no way of knowing for sure. I myself have not heard of any homeowner resisting selling to immigrants. They might be disappointed, but they have a smile on their face. But that's just me. I have heard a number of non-homeowners express frustration with gentrification that is ascribed to immigrants. As in, it's not my house or my neighborhood, but my city.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:41 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
Portland is the arm-pit of the pacific northwest. You can keep it.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
Maybe I misread? We were talking about sellers.

I do agree that we have no way of knowing for sure. I myself have not heard of any homeowner resisting selling to immigrants. They might be disappointed, but they have a smile on their face. But that's just me. I have heard a number of non-homeowners express frustration with gentrification that is ascribed to immigrants. As in, it's not my house or my neighborhood, but my city.
We were. I interpreted your response as meaning something that buyers have to watch out for (as in watching out for sellers who won't sell to them because they are from elsewhere), so I'm the one who misread. My wording was probably clumsy; it's the worst allergy season in years.

Quote:
I myself have not heard of any homeowner resisting selling to immigrants.
I have. Maybe I'm likely to hear more of it than you are for whatever reason. Anti-transplant sentiment seems pretty ingrained in many Oregonians, and it doesn't seem specific to the rental crowd.

Also, Realtors are recommending that those wanting to purchase homes in extremely competitive markets write personalized offer letters designed to appeal to the emotions of sellers (a surprising number of sellers don't automatically accept the highest bid, especially those with a strong emotional connection to the property). There's no way of knowing how many of these letters get quietly put on the bottom of the pile due to personal bias, but with transplant animosity seemingly at a high point, it's not a stretch to think this might exist in such a strong sellers' market. Stuff like this probably doesn't help:

Stuff like this probably doesn't help.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/Blog...-its-an-airbnb

I'm sure that many sellers also "seek out rich immigrants," but Portland's low housing inventory suggests that most aren't exactly tripping over themselves to do so. The last I heard, most Portland newcomers are actually arriving from different parts of Oregon anyway, so someone's selling to them.

Quote:
I have heard a number of non-homeowners express frustration with gentrification that is ascribed to immigrants.
The complaints I hear most often are from homeowners who are frustrated with skyrocketing property taxes. Lots of seniors in my dad's neighborhood on fixed incomes who are feeling the pinch caused by these inflated property values but don't really want to sell out and leave neighborhoods they've called home for years. I guess the fact that you and I have different experiences shows that anti-transplant animosity isn't limited to any single demographic.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-08-2017 at 07:33 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 07:30 AM

I think we basically agree, though your experience with the sellers market is a little different than mine.

That's true that higher property taxes make people who want to stay uncomfortable. But people who want to stay aren't the sellers. The sellers are happy to get out, and while they might be winsome about the effect on the neighborhood they leave behind, they are happy to get a big chunk of cash, and console themselves in the fact that their sale will have just an incremental effect on neighborhood property taxes.

Quote:
I guess the fact that you and I have different experiences shows that anti-transplant animosity isn't limited to any single demographic.
Considering that you don't know my demographic, and I don't know yours, that's not really defensible.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
That's true that higher property taxes make people who want to stay uncomfortable. But people who want to stay aren't the sellers. The sellers are happy to get out, and while they might be winsome about the effect on the neighborhood they leave behind, they are happy to get a big chunk of cash, and console themselves in the fact that their sale will have just an incremental effect on neighborhood property taxes.

Considering that you don't know my demographic, and I don't know yours, that's not really defensible.
The comments were in response to this statement:

Quote:
I have heard a number of non-homeowners express frustration with gentrification that is ascribed to immigrants.
By demographic, I wasn't talking about yours or mine but rather those of the different groups of people we've respectively heard complaining about transplants. By the same token, the non-homeowners you referenced obviously aren't sellers, either. The point was that anti-transplant sentiment, particularly that which is directed at potential buyers from a certain state, goes pretty deep in Oregon and is found among renters, homeowners, and sellers (and isn't at all limited to native Oregonians).

Old 07-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
T
By demographic, I wasn't talking about yours or mine but rather those of the different groups of people we've respectively heard complaining about transplants. By the same token, the non-homeowners you referenced obviously aren't sellers, either. The point was that anti-transplant sentiment, particularly that which is directed at potential buyers from a certain state, goes pretty deep in Oregon and is found among renters, homeowners, and sellers (and isn't at all limited to native Oregonians).
Maybe we didn't hear "different groups of people." Maybe we just heard different things from different people in one demographic. Maybe the same people talking to different people. Be careful about overanalyzing here.

Certainly there is anti-transplant sentiment in Portland. I'm not sure I've lived anywhere where there wasn't some similar sentiment. Oregon has some popular history pointing at this sentiment, but I think it just reflects what one can find most anywhere.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:45 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Maybe we didn't hear "different groups of people." Maybe we just heard different things from different people in one demographic. Maybe the same people talking to different people. Be careful about overanalyzing here.

Certainly there is anti-transplant sentiment in Portland. I'm not sure I've lived anywhere where there wasn't some similar sentiment. Oregon has some popular history pointing at this sentiment, but I think it just reflects what one can find most anywhere.
It's funny that you say this since my siblings who all still live in SF Bay Area don't socialize much with transplants. I go back to visit and go to gatherings where my kids are the only non- Californians. The jokes about Oregonians are plentiful amongst my husband's family, all Californians. Nobody says anything really nasty but there is an attitude that we do nothing but stare at trees all day.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:

OK, well, I'm going to go ahead and keep my opinion that, given personal observation, it's likely some sellers are taking advantage of an unusually active market to be more discriminating than they otherwise might be, and you go ahead and keep whatever yours is. As far the stereotype of Portland sellers reluctantly selling out to Californians and crying all the way to the bank, the fact remains that the majority of people moving to Portland right now are other Oregonians.

Quote:
Maybe we just heard different things from different people in one demographic.
No, I don't think so. As I already told you, I simply don't know many people who rent and are feeling forced out. Sorry, but I know what I've heard and who I've heard it from.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-08-2017 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 03:34 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Exec Portland home defaced with 'move back to California' | Daily Mail Online

Wonder what would happen if everyone in CA started doing that to every Chinese and Middle Eastern person's home who keep buying up all of our houses and driving up the real estate costs?
I must say there are quite a few dumb people in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: