Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2017, 09:42 PM
 
283 posts, read 729,210 times
Reputation: 302

Advertisements

I just got back from a trip to the Pacific Northwest. I spent about 3 days in Portland, 2 days in Seattle, and 3 days in Vancouver.

I didn't get to spend as much time walking around in Portland as I did in Seattle and Vancouver because I was there for a wedding and therefore some of the time was spent with family. But what I did see of downtown Portland left me with not a very good impression of the city. Many areas I saw seemed run down and/or deserted. Not to mention plenty of homeless people, one of whom was shouting obscenities and seemed on the verge of violence near a playground where kids were playing.

Sure I did see a few nice areas in Portland, such as Riverplace on the south end of Waterfront Park, and 23rd street. But my overall impression was not a good one. Did I just not see enough of the city, or is this a fairly accurate impression?

I enjoyed Seattle and Vancouver far more. Just seemed like there were more things to do in those cities, it was pretty lively everywhere I went, and I never felt threatened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago- Hyde Park
4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Reputation: 2658
Portland seems more blue collared than the other two, at least that was my impression
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2017, 10:01 PM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Reputation: 8812
Yes, I think you are accurate. Portland has some problems, there is no denying that. The homeless problem has been addressed on this site before. (And Seattle also suffers from such to be fair). However, it seems more out-front in Portland for whatever reason. Portland is a somewhat quirky city with great neighborhoods, but doesn't compete on a large economic scale. This tends to create a somewhat negative atmosphere, IMO.

Seattle is a yuppie/geek heaven. Tremendous growth in downtown and South Lake Union. It does seem more positive though, at the end of the day. Both cities attract newcomers, but Seattle's growth is off the charts. Portland is growing, but much more slowly.

As for Vancouver, it is the most residential inner city of the three, there is no doubt. But from a commercial sense, Vancouver lacks what Seattle has in this department.

The future will become apparent, especially if Seattle continues to become both a job and residential center. So far, this seems to be the trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 AM
 
3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Reputation: 3073
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
I just got back from a trip to the Pacific Northwest. I spent about 3 days in Portland, 2 days in Seattle, and 3 days in Vancouver.

I didn't get to spend as much time walking around in Portland as I did in Seattle and Vancouver because I was there for a wedding and therefore some of the time was spent with family. But what I did see of downtown Portland left me with not a very good impression of the city. Many areas I saw seemed run down and/or deserted. Not to mention plenty of homeless people, one of whom was shouting obscenities and seemed on the verge of violence near a playground where kids were playing.

Sure I did see a few nice areas in Portland, such as Riverplace on the south end of Waterfront Park, and 23rd street. But my overall impression was not a good one. Did I just not see enough of the city, or is this a fairly accurate impression?

I enjoyed Seattle and Vancouver far more. Just seemed like there were more things to do in those cities, it was pretty lively everywhere I went, and I never felt threatened.
Sounds like you saw two neighborhoods in the City of Portland, which has so many distinct areas and hoods so, no, you didn't get a feel for Portland based on your experiences you shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Left coast
2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Reputation: 3261
I have been over to that side of Portland a handful of times over the last 2 years...- I live on the east side and play and work here too- there is so much to do and see here and the leafy quiet neighborhoods are so walkable and easy going- I feel safe in my day to day and night activities- and this is coming from who lived in central SF for 20 years.
So I would have to say you got an accurate impression of a tiny part of Portland, but missed a lot of it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Left coast
2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Reputation: 3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, I think you are accurate. Portland has some problems, there is no denying that. The homeless problem has been addressed on this site before. (And Seattle also suffers from such to be fair). However, it seems more out-front in Portland for whatever reason. Portland is a somewhat quirky city with great neighborhoods, but doesn't compete on a large economic scale. This tends to create a somewhat negative atmosphere, IMO.

Seattle is a yuppie/geek heaven. Tremendous growth in downtown and South Lake Union. It does seem more positive though, at the end of the day. Both cities attract newcomers, but Seattle's growth is off the charts. Portland is growing, but much more slowly.

As for Vancouver, it is the most residential inner city of the three, there is no doubt. But from a commercial sense, Vancouver lacks what Seattle has in this department.

The future will become apparent, especially if Seattle continues to become both a job and residential center. So far, this seems to be the trend.
Yup, more people should definitely move up there!

Portland is not a huge metro on par with the other ones, I wasn't aware it was trying to be.

Its not for everyone, but thats why we all have options, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 PM
DKM
 
Location: California
6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Reputation: 6690
Yes your observation was accurate. And there is nothing fun to do in Portland unless you drive outside of it to grab some world class nature activities (weather permitting). It used to be much nicer before it attracted a large underclass of mostly drug using 20 somethings from all over the country, some of whom graduated into mentally ill homeless drug addicts. Nobody seems to know if it was the illness that made them use drugs or the drug abuse that made them mentally ill but they have a real problem there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Left coast
2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Reputation: 3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Yes your observation was accurate. And there is nothing fun to do in Portland unless you drive outside of it to grab some world class nature activities (weather permitting). It used to be much nicer before it attracted a large underclass of mostly drug using 20 somethings from all over the country, some of whom graduated into mentally ill homeless drug addicts. Nobody seems to know if it was the illness that made them use drugs or the drug abuse that made them mentally ill but they have a real problem there now.
well I live here NOW and I love it. Just giving my impression of what its like now, living here, east side.
But, yea people who don't find it for them should leave and leave it to the rest of us...
(I know plenty of law abiding 20 somethings who work hard and are good citizens here, lol)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 04:44 PM
 
Location: PNW
3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Reputation: 10218
"Where" in downtown Portland looks run-down or deserted??? The only areas I can think of that look run-down would be the deep industrial NW area.


And post #4 has a point. Portland is spread out into many districts and neighborhoods, most with their own character, and most are across the river. This is what can make Portland difficult for a tourist on limited time, because too many of them don't go outside downtown proper.


Homelessness, yes. The problem is everywhere in Portland, and even the suburbs are seeing increasing numbers of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2017, 06:53 PM
DKM
 
Location: California
6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Reputation: 6690
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
well I live here NOW and I love it. Just giving my impression of what its like now, living here, east side.
But, yea people who don't find it for them should leave and leave it to the rest of us...
(I know plenty of law abiding 20 somethings who work hard and are good citizens here, lol)...
Yep, it changed, I didn't like it and left. Portland was getting a bit intolerant for my tastes (conform or be chastised). This idea that I should like the problems it has or gtfo was becoming more common and I tired of it. I lost interest in paying for their attempts to save the world with their "progressive" experiments. Lucky for me there are many other great places to live in the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top