Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times

Advertisements

If I worked in a Salem I'd definitely live in Salem. South Salem and West Salem are both reputable high schools. For a smaller town life maybe live in Silverton and commute into Salem. But I for sure wouldnt be driving down I-5 every day from Wilsonville. Wilsonville or Tigard aren't that interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 11:16 PM

256 posts, read 265,698 times
It would not be advisable to commute to Salem from Sherwood or Tualatin. The traffic gets really bad even out in the fields before you're even in Wilsonville, let alone further in like some of the places you mentioned. If you're adamant about not living in Salem, maybe look into McMinnville. It's a hip place off to the side between Salem and Portland metros, with a good reputation in regards to education. This would still give you a longer commute, about 30 mins probably, but it's on back roads and closer to where you'd work without being too far from Portland.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:34 AM

148 posts, read 178,444 times
My 12 mile commute has turned into a hour drive over the last few years, so live close to your work.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:59 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
Just use common sense!
For example try not to have to commute accross bridges or have to rely on highways-
your quality of life skyrockets just utilizing those two factors-
I did and I have an 18 min commute.
And, you will more time to be an engaged parent to your kids.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:15 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
If I worked in a Salem I'd definitely live in Salem. South Salem and West Salem are both reputable high schools. For a smaller town life maybe live in Silverton and commute into Salem. But I for sure wouldnt be driving down I-5 every day from Wilsonville. Wilsonville or Tigard aren't that interesting.

Silverton would be a hoot to live in. A small town with some very nice housing near the Oregon Gardens. If I were working in Salem, Silverton would definitely be in consideration.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:27 PM

991 posts, read 1,519,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Silverton would be a hoot to live in. A small town with some very nice housing near the Oregon Gardens. If I were working in Salem, Silverton would definitely be in consideration.
Agreed. DO NOT try to commute from Wilsonville daily.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Be prepared for high real estate prices in and around Silverton.

It's definitely not a "hidden gem" nor is it a "well kept secret"!

Old 09-14-2017, 01:05 PM

199 posts, read 217,339 times
House prices doubled in Silverton in the last few years.

I don't know if you could pay me enough to commute I-5 on daily basis either. It's a terrible, terrible commute.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:22 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,209 times
I advocate to always manage the shortest commute possible.

The travel time now matter how pleasant is wasted time. 5 days a week it adds up. That is time away from family or potentially productive time at work/home. For busy people it means less rest while you cram your life into the time available. 30 minutes for me is reasonable. A 90 minute to 2 hours one way is insane. Salem is fine. Find acceptable schools and then the best home for your family. Use the time savings to benefit you and your family.

I like South Salem and West Salem. Stay away from crossing the river to get to work.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 691 times
Hi Scarlesi!
I have lived in Sherwood for over 13 years (grew up in Keizer just outside of Salem) and you really can't go wrong with any of the areas you mentioned (Sherwood, Wilsonville & Tualatin).

I have two children who have both gone to school in the Sherwood district since kindergarten and are now both in middle school (6th & 8th grade this year). The schools in Sherwood are wonderful, and there is a great deal of parent involvement in the schools. We also have SEF (Sherwood Education Foundation) which fundraises & funds grants for the teachers at all of Sherwood's schools.

Outside of the academics, there are so many activities for kids of all ages. We have a Performing Arts Center which offers opportunities for theater, music and other creative arts. Voices for Performing Arts has many choir opportunities, as well as plays throughout the year. We also have strong sports teams if your children are more inclined to play a sport.

Sherwood is definitely growing, and we are getting a brand new high school, which is slated to open in fall of 2020. There is currently new construction being built on the West side of Sherwood (where I live, and also where the new high school is going to be built).

Old Town Sherwood is an adorable area, with many small restaurants ( such as Fat Milo's, Mason, The Hungry Hero), as well as a great wine bar (503 Uncorked) and Rallison Winery tasting room. The library & Performing Arts Center are also in Old Town Sherwood.

As far as location/commute, as other posters have said, it really depends on where you're driving to your job. Sherwood is roughly 4 miles off I-5, however traffic to & from the interstate can be terrible. Highway 99 can also be rough during commute times, but traffic really isn't great anywhere here. There are alternate routes (backroads) to get around some of the more commuted roads and a local can help you find these.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions about the area! We truly love Sherwood & are so glad we have chosen this community to raise our family in. Best of luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland