Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:08 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I'm glad the lady was there to hold them accountable and apprehend them with the officer she alerted before they got away in the minivan. They got a confession on the spot.

The forecast calls for possible chances of showers over the next three days so let's hope that cleans the air somewhat too.
Well, if anybody perishes from these fires they will be the ones responsible. They definitely won't find it funny anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 10:27 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
It's still raining ash in Beaverton. My son did indoor recess because of air quality and it's really hot so it feels like you can't breathe outside.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:24 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Quote:
I'm glad the lady was there to hold them accountable and apprehend them with the officer she alerted before they got away in the minivan. They got a confession on the spot.

The forecast calls for possible chances of showers over the next three days so let's hope that cleans the air somewhat too.
She is a hero as far as I'm concerned. If she hadn't been vigilant, they would skipped out & probably never would have been found. We would have found out eventually that fireworks caused the fire, but it would have been a long time later and we wouldn't have known who it was. At least someone will face some consequences for the negligent destruction of some of Oregon's most beautiful environment, hundreds of farms/ranches and the potential destruction our #1 tourist attraction.

Stupid kids do stupid stuff, but this was phenomenally irresponsible on the part of the teens and their parents. Most distressing to me is that the parents tried to GTF outta there. That they were trying to flee the scene is (hopefully) going to be bad for them when charges are filed.

I hope the prosecutors are not so incompetent as the ones that prosecuted the Malheur case.

Last edited by redguard57; 09-06-2017 at 01:35 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 07:09 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
My perspective from here in close-in SW Portland:

Although the smell and sight of smoke was strong, the ash fall here was relatively light compared to other posters. I left my car parked outside for over 3 hours and just had a light dusting on the windshield which blew off when I started driving. I was living in Beaverton when Mt. St. Helens blew in 1980 and the ash fall was about 20 times heavier and went on for days. It was also very difficult to hose off.

This morning I don't smell any smoke so maybe the winds have shifted.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:16 AM

60 posts, read 62,189 times
Quote:

Too bad she didn't think about stomping out the beginning of the fire. She could have saved the day.

Stupid kids!

Nothing will be done. Oregon repeatedly fails to hold people accountable for their actions...

Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6G1Z View Post
Too bad she didn't think about stomping out the beginning of the fire. She could have saved the day.

Stupid kids!

Nothing will be done. Oregon repeatedly fails to hold people accountable for their actions...

How do you stomp out a firecracker thrown in a ravine?

Old 09-06-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
How do you stomp out a firecracker thrown in a ravine?
Apparently in Oregon, you don't!

Much easier to just run away.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,220 times
Quote:

You're right. She definitely should have scaled down the ravine of unknown depth with no climbing equipment and... oh, maybe spit on the firework until it went out.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:46 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:

I should have said thrown into a ravine. She was standing at the top with them. The only way she could have stomped it out would have been be to jump in after it.

She did a great job helping to catch the little jerks.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 AM

It's OK.

I realize that you are unable to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland