Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,314 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm currently in the middle of transferring to somewhere (not sure where yet) for Environmental Science. I am taking a semester off right now and want to be back in school by fall '08. Does anyone have recommendations for schools in Portland? Either in suburbs right near it or downtown. I'm from the east, so it's hard for me to explore.

I'm looking into U of Oregon in Eugene also... and I'm just wondering if Eugene feels pretty small and college town- like, especially compared to Portland...
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:51 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,939 times
University of Portland is a small (3,000 students) liberal arts Catholic U in North Portland (10 min from downtown). Known for Engineering and Nursing, they are also making a name for the environment.

Last week a huge rally/conference was held on campus called Focus the Nation on Global Warming. It was a success! See school newspaper: The Beacon (broken link)

Don't be swayed by the fact that UP is Catholic if you are not--it's an open U and you don't have to participate in anything religious if you so desire.

I know there's been lots of green changes on campus and a push towards sustainability: much of the food served is organic and about 90% of it is local. One of the professors wants to install some sort of machine used to convert cooking oil into fuel to power the carts and trucks used on campus for physical repairs and mail deliveries, etc.

Links for the Environmental Ethics & Policy and Environmental Science majors here: The University of Portland
The University of Portland

As an almost alum of UP, I recommend checking the campus out.

Last edited by FoxyKnox; 02-12-2008 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,314 times
Okay great... Do you know anything about Portland State University??

Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Stick with the U of O or even OSU. PSU has a pretty poor reputation, educationally speaking.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:06 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,939 times
There's a thread in the Portland forum re: PSU right now, check that out.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:49 AM

14 posts, read 58,938 times
PSU is the worst campus in Oregon. Classes are taught by graduate students or adjunct faculty. Adjunct faculty are teachers who are hired less than half time, just below the threshold to receive benefits. They have to take jobs at more than one school just to survive financially. They don't have offices of their own and spend a lot of time just traveling from one school to another. The professors are underpaid and the administration is corrupt. I'm an alumnus and an ex-employee so I'm telling you straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland