Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 02:08 PM

30 posts, read 127,186 times

Advertisements

Moving to Portland in a few weeks and need to know where to get some inexpensive furniture...other than Craig's Any discount furniture warehouses in the Portland area, consignment shops, etc. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 06:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,483,441 times
Ikea

Out by the airport.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,604,931 times
I second that!

Old 03-16-2008, 05:30 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,087,328 times
There's a consignement furniture place at SE Grand & Stark (not sure of it's name) that has some decent looking things on display. Not sure how deep the stock goes, though.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,094,759 times
Another place called Consignment Northwest in the SW area/into Beaverton.

A lot of furniture places are going out of business right now and you can probably play hardball negotiation...although they still might not be considered "discount."

Depending on what you're looking for, there are some other options as well. We found a 4-drawer metal filing cabinet at a Goodwill Outlet (note Outlet, not the regular Goodwill stores) for $10. Just needed a little scrubbing. The same kind sell for $150 in office stores, so that's quite a bit of savings!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 PM

30 posts, read 127,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Another place called Consignment Northwest in the SW area/into Beaverton.

A lot of furniture places are going out of business right now and you can probably play hardball negotiation...although they still might not be considered "discount."

Depending on what you're looking for, there are some other options as well. We found a 4-drawer metal filing cabinet at a Goodwill Outlet (note Outlet, not the regular Goodwill stores) for $10. Just needed a little scrubbing. The same kind sell for $150 in office stores, so that's quite a bit of savings!
sounds good...where are some of the Goodwill stores? I'm in the SE. I am familiar with ReRun in the NE which I plan on checking out when I get there, other than that...I guess I can always walk along Hawthorne Blvd and find lots of consignment stores...I like the retro look and know that Hawthorne has lots of that!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,590,724 times
Lots of Goodwill stores there. I particularly liked the one on Burnside downtown (NW) and also the one on SE 82nd. They are large and have lots of kitchen/home items. I still have my white coffee cups I bought there SO many years ago!

Old 03-21-2008, 06:12 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,094,759 times
There's a difference between Goodwill stores and Goodwill Outlets. The outlets supposedly take the stuff that won't sell at the regular stores, but if you are savvy you can find some good deals there.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:49 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,087,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farside098 View Post
sounds good...where are some of the Goodwill stores? I'm in the SE. I am familiar with ReRun in the NE which I plan on checking out when I get there, other than that...I guess I can always walk along Hawthorne Blvd and find lots of consignment stores...I like the retro look and know that Hawthorne has lots of that!
The big Goodwill store is on SE Grand Ave, about 5 blocks south of Hawthorne.

In the area from about SE 7th & Madison (1 north of Hawthorne) to Stark, there are a number of used office furniture places that might be worth a look.

And City Liquidators, down under the Morrison Bridge (probably on about 3rd) carries furntiure, and lots of other junk ... um, I mean good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland