Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 PM

18 posts, read 17,926 times

Advertisements

I live here in St.Louis.. I think MLB or NHL would be great for Portland however Seattle is ponying up over 600 Million just for a NHL team let alone if Portland were able to get a MLB team i would think relocating a team from a existing city makes perfect sense i mean who knows how much the MLB would be asking for expansion fee? As much as i enjoy MLB i love the NHL much better the game is so fast and electric...Speaking of ticket pricing for NHL games it depends what team you're wanting to watch your hometown team play.. Blues/BlackHawks tickets are premium buys they cost a fortune because its a true rivalry. I recently bought a ticket for a Blues/Panthers game not a rivalry by any means anyways the cost of my ticket to be up close to the action was 100 bucks so pricing like every sport always varies....

Good luck to Portland on pursuing a MLB team i don't think the NHL will be expanding for sometime though there might be a relocation or 2..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkenwolf View Post
I live here in St.Louis.. I think MLB or NHL would be great for Portland however Seattle is ponying up over 600 Million just for a NHL team let alone if Portland were able to get a MLB team i would think relocating a team from a existing city makes perfect sense i mean who knows how much the MLB would be asking for expansion fee? As much as i enjoy MLB i love the NHL much better the game is so fast and electric...Speaking of ticket pricing for NHL games it depends what team you're wanting to watch your hometown team play.. Blues/BlackHawks tickets are premium buys they cost a fortune because its a true rivalry. I recently bought a ticket for a Blues/Panthers game not a rivalry by any means anyways the cost of my ticket to be up close to the action was 100 bucks so pricing like every sport always varies....

Good luck to Portland on pursuing a MLB team i don't think the NHL will be expanding for sometime though there might be a relocation or 2..
Portland already has an NHL-ready venue so they could take a NHL team tomorrow basically. Seattle is going to have to completely renovate Key Arena which at the moment is exclusively designed for basketball and somewhat dated, although it was completely renovated in the 90s for the Sonics. That's at least a 1-1.5 year job.

Baseball is going to be a 5-year project minimum just to get the stadium finished in Portland. The preferred site is a former industrial waterfront site. Figure 1-2 years minumum just for the planning, permitting, and site remediation. The fact that it isn't currently a superfund site is probably only because they haven't looked very hard. There has been 100 years of heavy industry and shipbuilding out there so god only knows what is under the surface. After that at least 2-3 years for the construction, highway and surface street rebuilding, utility work and I don't know what all else.

Despite that it seems baseball is in the cards, not the NHL.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:47 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Portland won't build roads, so that might limit the amount of parking that will be needed. That cuts down on required acreage.

Portland will happily provide new bike lanes to the new arena, but bike parking doesn't require nearly as much space.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Portland won't build roads, so that might limit the amount of parking that will be needed. That cuts down on required acreage.

Portland will happily provide new bike lanes to the new arena, but bike parking doesn't require nearly as much space.
Just a guess on my part but I would expect an MLB baseball team to have a much more suburban and regional fan base than the Timbers. So a LOT more people driving in from the suburbs and from out of town from places like Salem, Eugene, Longview, etc. That was my experience living in Texas with the Rangers in Arlington. People would drive in from all over the region for the games.

By contrast the Timbers is much more Portland-centric hipster type crowd so a much higher percentage of people walk, bike, and take rail to the games. The bike racks around the stadium are astonishly full of bikes during every Timbers game. So a lot of additional highway access and parking is not really so important around the Timbers Stadium

I don't expect that to be the case for a future MLB team in Portland. No matter how much Portland might want people to bike and take rail to the games, the fan base is going to be more regional and will be expecting to drive and park. That's just the nature of what a baseball fan base is going to be.

So if the city thinks they can get by with siting a stadium in some corner of the city without good highway access and parking I think they are kidding themselves. Without major road improvements they are asking for a traffic fiasco 81 days a year and more if they go to the playoffs.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Just a guess on my part but I would expect an MLB baseball team to have a much more suburban and regional fan base than the Timbers. So a LOT more people driving in from the suburbs and from out of town from places like Salem, Eugene, Longview, etc. That was my experience living in Texas with the Rangers in Arlington. People would drive in from all over the region for the games.

By contrast the Timbers is much more Portland-centric hipster type crowd so a much higher percentage of people walk, bike, and take rail to the games. The bike racks around the stadium are astonishly full of bikes during every Timbers game. So a lot of additional highway access and parking is not really so important around the Timbers Stadium

I don't expect that to be the case for a future MLB team in Portland. No matter how much Portland might want people to bike and take rail to the games, the fan base is going to be more regional and will be expecting to drive and park. That's just the nature of what a baseball fan base is going to be.

So if the city thinks they can get by with siting a stadium in some corner of the city without good highway access and parking I think they are kidding themselves. Without major road improvements they are asking for a traffic fiasco 81 days a year and more if they go to the playoffs.
Problem solved. Hundreds of these shuttling between the ballpark and Terminal 4 where the Port of Portland and Toyota have plenty of parking...

(Hey, The Portland Diamond Project seems to have signed off on including a replica Med School aerial tram in the plans so a fleet of bullpen carts doesn't seem so far fetched )

Old 12-08-2018, 01:43 PM

33 posts, read 30,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post

I’m sure while working on this deal for OVER A YEAR now they have thought about all this. These people are loaded with money and have hired probably the best economists in the game to study all these questions.

I’m sure before they offered the money for terminal 2 they did well covered research on all these questions bud

Old 12-08-2018, 01:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Quote:
These people are loaded with money and have hired probably the best economists in the game to study all these questions.
And probably hired the best to figure out how to wiggle around all the problems, wind up spending the least amount of money they possibly can, and hire the best PR people to make it seem like we will be getting the deal of a lifetime.

Texasdiver is spot on about Portland, bud

Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S550 View Post
I’m sure while working on this deal for OVER A YEAR now they have thought about all this. These people are loaded with money and have hired probably the best economists in the game to study all these questions.

I’m sure before they offered the money for terminal 2 they did well covered research on all these questions bud
So if I'm running a mult-billion dollar baseball partnership and I have the following choice:

1. A very large acreage of undeveloped land that I can pick up relatively cheaply and that has adjacent land that I can redevelop into thousands of apartment/condo units but that has poor highway and transit access. I can buy it, make a huge profit on adjacent development projects, and leave the highway/transit problems to the city with the expectation that if you build it they will come. Perhaps affiliated business interests will also be scooping up additional nearby parcels of undeveloped land to make additional profit on the project.

2. Expensive smaller portion of land with excellent highway and transit access and no adjacent land for redevelopment as the site is hemmed in by existing highways and rail.

I'm going to pick option #1 every time and expect the city to fall over itself to accomodate me with highway and transit improvements picked up by the taxpayer.

What's good for the developer isn't always what's good for the taxpayer. If the city is building a municipally owned stadium they will pick option 2 every time.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,938 times
The residents of the new neighborhood around the stadium should get baseball tickets included in their leases.

That would make it a baseball neighborhood and cut down the need for transit and parking.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:14 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The residents of the new neighborhood around the stadium should get baseball tickets included in their leases.

That would make it a baseball neighborhood and cut down the need for transit and parking.
That idea would get you elected Mayor of Wrigleyville for life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland