Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 01:30 AM

3 posts, read 25,077 times

Advertisements

Hi

My boyfriend and I want to move to Portland but he works in the entertainment industry. He is a film editor and has many years of experience with Avid. We want to move to Portland but he can't find any jobs online. Is there any TV stations/ entertainment industry in Portland? Or where should I start looking?

Thanks,
Sharon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 05:40 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,940 times
Good luck with his search. One never knows. There is a lot to be said for fate.

I must say, there are few editing or industry jobs in the business up in the NW. Obviously he should check all obvious areas that one in the industry would, but those jobs are coveted by those that have them. You may have better luck in Vancouver BC, if you want to move to the NW, but I believe you will need to have a job to be allowed to move there (unlike the U.S., I believe).

Another possibility is focusing or incorporating into his resume/portfolio multi-media editing (Software specific). Avid is a an excellent base and he may need to incorporate these other proficiencies to be marketable or maybe even just to put food on the table. Tech business is the driver of the economy in the NW 100% percent more then TV, Commercials, film. Also it is so connection based there in the production business. You may be super talented and have a kick butt resume/portfolio, but two things may happen. First they may give the job to a friend that has no experience (TV especially--I know it is insane, but it happens a lot-go figure!) and pay them less. Sorry. This is the way it works there. Two money is not as good, they know how prized these jobs are and how few and far between. He may have to start at the bottom again to get in the door.

Animation is bigger in Portland, be sure to look there as well. Otherwise all I can say is there is a reason people suffer to live in LA. That is where the work is on a consistent level in the editing business. But one also never knows.

There are just so few production houses and businesses in the NW compared to Cali. and as I said it is much more tech driven. They job out the original film work to a few (i.e 1 or if you are lucky 2) production houses and do the rest (digital) in-house, no matter whether it is DVD, CD, on-line. They don't pay a lot in-house for software editors and many times bring in temp workers (another place to look). They also have alot of LA production people shoot the work in BC and edit in LA or BC.

Most overall marketing and PR (thus directors, producers, editors) come out of LA, even for the NW biggies that have their own marketing departments with production staff(all lower end software driven). It is too expensive to duplicate the film production studios in-house and most if not all have little use for them on a day to day basis.

Sorry my post is so dire. But I know that in which I speak. Hopefully someone else can give you more hope. I say this not because I wasn't a success--I was a great success (not as an editor--but let's just say I spent a lot of time next to editors, jobbing work out to them, and hiring them so I know). I know exactly how it all works and what is available (not much). So that is not coloring my negativity, just so you have clarity where this is coming from.

Overall and as a general rule he will be more of a success in the NW and much more consistently employable if he is able to straddle those two worlds (Avid and lower end editing software) successfully.

Flexibility, open mindedness, willingness to learn and connections are going to be crucial. You didn't say if he was proficient in other editing tools, I am assuming he is not. If he is, having this flexibility will help a lot and may keep him working while he is finding an Avid based job.

I am sorry but, it is not good. Any one who truly has worked in this field knows where the work is and it is NOT in the NW, nor will it ever be. Taxation, laws etc make it expensive and much more difficult to shoot and produce work there. The work is in BC. Keep the faith of course, because one never knows, but know, if he does get steady work, it will be an exception to the rule and in that case he should know it is fate more then anything (besides his talent/experience). JMO Good luck. Hope I have been a little helpful.

By the way, specifically NW Portland used to have some great animation studios. I am unsure how much of this is still true, since Will Vinton was fired from his own studio and Disney and Phil Knight (Nike founder) took over (Disney as you know is poo to work for and the pay is poo as well.) Will Vinton had an amazing shop, back when he did the California Raisins and through the 80s and 90s. I think this pulled new animation upstarts into the area. If this is still happening there I would recommend you look at animation companies in the NW area of Portland in addition to the regular venues. Getting him in the door will be crucial--no matter how.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 25,077 times
Smile Thank YOU so much...

Hi fairweathergolfer,

Thank you so much for the insightful reply! We now have a better idea on where to look. You really taught us a lot about the entertainment industry out of Los Angeles and how the whole system works. Sounds like you have been around this industry for quite some time. The thing is he is not a very social person.

Although, it's sort of given that you will have to be a social bee in order to succeed in this business, it seems that most Editors don't really shine in that area.

However, if the is market competitive I guess he will have to start mingling at release parties.

I was thinking Canada should have a lot of studios, but I'm not sure about the living conditions there.
I also heard, only citizens can buy houses in Canada.

We will keep looking, and rethink our strategy! He is even considering foreign countries...

Thank you again for the reply!
Sharon

Old 12-09-2006, 08:24 PM

mscherry, I came across this link that lists production jobs in Oregon. I didn't click all the way through but there were some editor jobs listed. The site is productionhub.com and he could probably follow through to the Oregon links which was at http://www.productionhub.com/directory/state.asp?state_id=3190 (broken link).

Also I did see a post that Lakeshore Entertainment (I believe) was shooting in 2007. He probably excels at his job, because he is not social . I am just the opposite and I think you are so right on about editors. But this is not a failing at all and I would also recommend calling some local production companies and shops and ask where they send their work or how they do it there in Portland.

I had found people in the NW to be very accommodating and helpful in answering my questions when I first broke in there. Some very big Executive Producers even met me for coffee to give me the 411. So I would definitely encourage him to make some phone calls in addition to the schmooze (Ugh, I hate that!).

They do have a production directory in Seattle (sorry I can't remember the name) and I bet that either references Portland or Portland may have one themselves. He could also call Nike and if he could speak with someone who handles their media production and ask them what the scene is there with their commercials etc. They have a film school in Portland, maybe that might be a good source to call for resources as well?

I always find it helpful to go straight to the biggies and their closest sources. Sure there will be dead ends, but people up there are generally pretty friendly if you tell them what is up. I hope I have been helpful and not too defeatist. The good news is people are so much nicer up there then LA. Good luck!!

Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 PM

Can you tell I am a bit obsessive compulsive?

Sharon, Vancouver BC is gorgeous. It really is. Have you been there? They are shooting a lot of work there and have been for some time. If you haven't been I would recommend taking the ferry from Seattle up there for the day or maybe stay the weekend and check it out.

If you like Portland, you will LOVE Victoria BC it has the weather of the NW coast, but with even more of a European flavor (in my opinion). I wish I could comment about the housing, but I am unsure what the law is. Yes, the social thing is such a drag (in the business), sounds like he'll be fine.

Charlize Theron's boyfriend (Stuart Townsend) with Insight Film Studios is in principle production there right now (she is staring), maybe he could contact his company and ask about any particulars. To show you how little is shot in the NW, even though the film is titled, Battle in Seattle, most of the pp is shot in Vancouver BC!! Good Luck!!

Old 12-29-2006, 03:54 PM

11 posts, read 68,237 times
We are considering a move to Portland also. My husband is a News Photog and is willing to work as such but would rather work in a production house or something that would allow him to be more creative. I was wondering if anyone knows how the market is for videographers in the portland area? We are origionaly from Tacoma, Wa. and now living in Central CA. I am interested in Portland because its like Wa except alot less Big City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: