Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times

Advertisements

Portland radio is a joke as far as rock goes. Since KUFO went right-wing talk there hasn't been a decent hard rock station in town.

We have "The Brew" (KFBW) and 93 KGON. Both play the same songs over and over! Seriously, Black Sabbath has more than 5 songs, some for AC/DC, Judas Priest, Ozzy etc. It's the same cr*p over and over.

How come another HARD rock station hasn't come to town? So much music is going unheard. We're also losing a bunch of shows because no station will help bring them to town. The best the classic stations can do is tribute bands, a.k.a. cover bands. It's sad. I like Pink Floyd, but they do not rock. According to oprtland stations, they do.

I've been streaming stations from Seattle and Spokane for some variety.

Is Portland ever going to get a hard rock station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 05:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Portland radio is a joke as far as rock goes. Since KUFO went right-wing talk there hasn't been a decent hard rock station in town.

We have "The Brew" (KFBW) and 93 KGON. Both play the same songs over and over! Seriously, Black Sabbath has more than 5 songs, some for AC/DC, Judas Priest, Ozzy etc. It's the same cr*p over and over.

How come another HARD rock station hasn't come to town? So much music is going unheard. We're also losing a bunch of shows because no station will help bring them to town. The best the classic stations can do is tribute bands, a.k.a. cover bands. It's sad. I like Pink Floyd, but they do not rock. According to oprtland stations, they do.

I've been streaming stations from Seattle and Spokane for some variety.

Is Portland ever going to get a hard rock station?

The lunatic is in their head...

Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 PM

346 posts, read 464,242 times
What's wrong with streaming radio? Isn't that "where its at?"

Old 10-10-2017, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,059 times
Default Doubt it. It's all demographics.

KUFO went all brownshirt because that's what Neilsen picks up people listening to when they drive under the station detectors on 205 and 5. The people listening to pop (actual pop, not radio pop), metal, classic rock and classic hard rock, jazz, world, etc. are typically streaming and higher income, which means differend and competing advertising networks. People listening to the radio tend to be lower income and listen to, in order: Gospel/musica Cristiana and prayer, conservative talk, sports, country, mariachi and ranchera/Regional Mexicano, rap/r-n-b/hip-hop, era music (80s, 90s, etc.), classic rock, and public broadcasting, at least according to the last leaked ratings reports for the PNW. 89.9 and assorted classical is higher on local lists but is still not listed nationally. All AM outside of conspiracy radio and sports don't really make a dent in the stats.

So the answer is not likely. All radio content is loss-lead for feeding into advertising slots - why would they start a station that didn't? It's what happened with Wild Planet Radio. Great music, great causes, whole thing imploded.

Last edited by Jonnet97030; 10-10-2017 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: left a line out of composition

Old 10-11-2017, 11:29 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
It also makes you wonder why the Portland area has no "progressive liberal" talk radio stations.

Given the politics in this area, you would think that there would be at least one.

A few truly conservative stations, and a few conservative stations disguised as "libertarian" stations, but no true liberal talk media.

There was Air-America that went under in 2010, but nothing since.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It also makes you wonder why the Portland area has no "progressive liberal" talk radio stations.

Given the politics in this area, you would think that there would be at least one.

A few truly conservative stations, and a few conservative stations disguised as "libertarian" stations, but no true liberal talk media.

Air America. That brings back memories. I used to have a fellow employee at Standard Ins. who would listen to that station all day and then discuss what was said with the few liberal people in our department

Old 10-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Other than Randi Rhodes, it was tolerable.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:59 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Default tune to 90.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

You don't know about KBOO? www.kboo.fm

Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Of course I know about KBOO.

It's the Public Broadcasting station of Portland radio.

Yes it's a very "progressive liberal" station, but it's not what I consider a true "talk radio" station.

I listen to KBOO once in a while for a different perspective, and they have some very interesting stuff on there sometimes.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times
I have to share the OP's complaint about KGON. I started listening to them in '78, which at the time played both classic AND current rock, and it was a very good station then (and kudos to Iris Harrison for sticking to it all these decades!). I still set my old boombox to it when I'm working outside but that's about it. For many years now I've complained that they play the same selected songs over and over and over, and they can do a lot better than that.

But, y'know, the best rock/progressive rock station that I ever listened to was from a local station in a small po' dunk town in the middle of nowhere back in the late-60's to mid-70's, and they played not only the well-known songs but also other GOOD cuts from the albums. Never found a station like that one ever since.

As popular as blues is in Portland, stations can't seem to hang on to that genre for long (KBOO has 2 hrs of it on Saturdays). I gave up on pop music about 10 years ago (Z100 had very childish morons for djs, which was part of my problem, but I simply could not relate to the music anymore; in mid-50's at the time, I'd say that I gave it a good run).

It's a good thing that I also like Country because there seems to be a bigger presence of it in local radio. Otherwise, I stream the other options from elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland