U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:14 PM

320 posts, read 876,918 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I’m currently living in Indiana and I’m considering relocation for a job in Beaverton, OR and I have some questions about the area.

I have visited Portland and Seattle in the past and I think I’d love the area. The overall culture of the area, the access to hiking and the coast, the car scene, the arts, craft beer, etc. are all appealing to me. I think I would be very happy in the PNW. I also have some friends in the Portland and Seattle area so that would make the transition easier.

The office for the company I’m interviewing with is NW of Beaverton (close to Oak Hills) off of 26 (literally next to the Hwy). I’m flexible with the idea of living in Beaverton, Portland, Tigard, Vancouver, etc. if it makes more sense for traffic or rent.

Any specific area you would recommend I target?

What would an average 1 or 2 bdrm apartment probably run?

Any particular cities or specific neighborhoods I should generally avoid?

I’m assuming if I get offered the job I will also get a relocation bonus so hopefully that will cover my moving expenses.

I have no pets so that’s not a concern.

I also don’t have children so I don’t care about school districts.

I have 2 cars, one of which I'd like to have a garage space for. If push came to shove I would consider having a roommate and renting a house just to have garage space.

I do not have any aspiration to buy a house in the short term and I am not selling one to relocate either.
Is Craigslist a reliable place to look for apartments?

Are there other sites you’d recommend?

How about realtors?

I understand that the market for housing right now is very tight. I’d probably be expecting to take a trip out for apartment hunting at some point, and I’m guessing I’d have around a month to relocate.

That being said, do I have the liberty to “look around” and check out multiple places, or is it a “put your deposit down now at the showing or it’s gone” situation for housing?

What are the worst roads for traffic?

I was also wondering about Cost of Living of course. If I take the job I’d be asking for at least high 70’s or low 80’s for salary. Is that enough for a single man without children to live off of comfortably?

Any recommendations for places to hike?

I did the Columbia River Gorge including Multnomah Falls and 4 or 5 of the others on the way on my last trip.

And it’s time of the cliché question you’ve all been waiting for about the rain.

No I’m not a total sissy about bad weather, but I’d like to understand what it’s really like. I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and have since lived in WI, IL, and IN since so I am very much used to snow and having my outdoor activities limited from about Late Oct. – April or May every year. I haven’t felt any symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder in my life either. By comparison, rain is probably more welcome to me then snow.

I would like to understand the weather patterns a bit better though.

Is there a particular “rainy season” during the year and if so what months?

Is it usually a steady all day long rain that lasts for days or weeks at a time?

Or is it a daily weather occurrence that sort of “passes through” like a couple hour long rain shower in the afternoon?

How about snow? I got the impression in another thread that Dec. – Feb you could get it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 03:55 PM
DKM

6,782 posts, read 3,061,520 times
Easy answer where to live: Beaverton. Cedar Mill is very nice and you could start out your new life in a decent apartment near there. You don't want to live further than 5 miles from work (i assume near Sunset High School)

The weather: it rains. Look at the current 7 day. That's what its like mostly starting around now through March. Its cold rain, nothing at all like you get there in the summer. It is often just a steady light drip drip but it can rain for days without stopping. But overall it is raining maybe 50% of the time in the winter. As the months go by, it very slowly warms up and dries out starting from February until July its finally time to put the long sleeves away. Its a lot milder than where you are from and the summers are a lot nicer too. There are heat waves and there are cold snaps but its mild mostly. The winter is a good time to work a lot and not take staycations!

It does snow but if you live near work, this is not an issue. Some winters no snow, others maybe 4 times.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Easy answer where to live: Beaverton. Cedar Mill is very nice and you could start out your new life in a decent apartment near there. You don't want to live further than 5 miles from work (i assume near Sunset High School)
Thanks for the reply!

It's not too far from Sunset High School actually. It's off of Greenbrier Parkway. Pretty much the other side of 26 off of Cornell Rd.

Would Hillsboro be too far out for me?

Is there any particular streets or distinct neighborhoods of Beaverton I'd want to look at? Or is it mostly typical suburbs?

Side tangent question too as I research more.

Is the Tri-Met that good for getting into Portland?

Wondering if it's worth the hassle for a night out on the town in Portland on a weekend.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:42 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,338,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post
Thanks for the reply!

It's not too far from Sunset High School actually. It's off of Greenbrier Parkway. Pretty much the other side of 26 off of Cornell Rd.

Would Hillsboro be too far out for me?

Is there any particular streets or distinct neighborhoods of Beaverton I'd want to look at? Or is it mostly typical suburbs?

Side tangent question too as I research more.

Is the Tri-Met that good for getting into Portland?

Wondering if it's worth the hassle for a night out on the town in Portland on a weekend.
We take the MAX (Trimet light rail) from the Sunset Transit Center into downtown all the time. It's fast and you don't have to find parking downtown. During regular business hours the Sunset TC parking garage will fill up though.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 PM

10,944 posts, read 19,238,993 times
If you want to go to the city from Cedar Mill in the evening or weekends park at the Sunset Transit Center and take the MAX.

The MAX offers great service to Portland and PDX. The airport MAX only goes to the Beaverton Transit center at the moment, I have heard mutterings that Tri-Met wants to extend the route to Hillsboro. This isn't an infrastructure issue, just equipment resources.

Doubtless you will drive to your place of employment.

The apartments just south of the Beaverton Creek Max station at 153rd & Millikan Way would be a great spot from a logistical standpoint. You can walk to that Max station from there. On the other side of Millikan Way are the Center Pointe Apartment Homes which seems to be highly rated on Google Maps. I attended a child's birthday party there, at their swimming pool. My take is that it is a family complex with a lot of Intel engineer families. Across the street is First Tech Federal Credit Union which I highly recommend. NIKE offers van service for employees and their visitors from that MAX Station.

Max stations from the city center west: Goose Hollow, Zoo, Sunset Transit Center, Beaverton Transit Center, Beaver Creek Station,..... Orenco, ... Hillsboro.

The rule of thumb is to live as close to your place of employment as practical. Hillsboro would likely suck you into a Hgy 26 commute which can be awful.

Welcome home.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:04 AM

1,183 posts, read 425,771 times
I am thinking your distance scale might be a bit off. Your work location drive to downtown is less than 10 minutes. Parts of Hilllsboro is about 12 minutes from work. Cedar Hills is 7 minutes. Although these estimates do not include traffic time it may give you a rough idea that you have a plethora of options for living.

I suggest staying at a hotel extended stay until you get a feel for the area. There is one close by on 158th in Beaverton.

I grew up in the Midwest. The weather here is very mild and favorable over those Michigan winters. It is rare that you need to wear a heavy coat.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 AM

Traffic is a huge issue, Hgy 26 (the Sunset Highway) is often congested even on Saturdays. Then the OP would need to find parking in the city

Cedar Mill is a large neighborhood on the N side of Hgy 26, depending on where she lives she could be at work in 3 minutes. Her best (only?) route to work is via 185th. From Cedar Mill she would travel Cornell Road to 185th. The Oak Hills neighborhood, directly north, is largely single family dwellings.

I agree she should stay in an extended stay hotel first, don't consider renting an apartment without looking at it.

My response was predicated on her desire to access the MAX to go to the city. From that location her route to work would be N on 153rd, left on Jenkins Road, right on 185th.

Another neighborhood with apartments where she could walk to the MAX is Orenco. To work from there she could take Century Blvd, right at Cornell Road to 85th, hang a quick left at either Waterhouse or Greenbriar (whichever has a traffic light). Orenco is a neighborhood in Hillsboro. Take care to locate near the MAX line as the Orenco neighborhood extends quite a ways north.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 11-10-2017 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-10-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Traffic is a huge issue, Hgy 26 (the Sunset Highway) is often congested even on Saturdays. Then the OP would need to find parking in the city

Cedar Mill is a large neighborhood on the N side of Hgy 26, depending on where she lives she could be at work in 3 minutes. Her best (only?) route to work is via 185th. From Cedar Mill she would travel Cornell Road to 185th. The Oak Hills neighborhood, directly north, is largely single family dwellings.

I agree she should stay in an extended stay hotel first, don't consider renting an apartment without looking at it.

My response was predicated on her desire to access the MAX to go to the city. From that location her route to work would be N on 153rd, left on Jenkins Road, right on 185th.

Another neighborhood with apartments where she could walk to the MAX is Orenco. To work from there she could take Century Blvd, right at Cornell Road to 85th, hang a quick left at either Waterhouse or Greenbriar (whichever has a traffic light). Orenco is a neighborhood in Hillsboro. Take care to locate near the MAX line as the Orenco neighborhood extends quite a ways north.
I'm a man actually, but yes thank you very much for the info!

If I found an apartment at someplace like Stonebridge at Cornell or the cluster of them further down on Cornell by Murray which is across 26 from the office (Off of Greenbrier) I'd really be in pretty much biking distance.

Does Cornell have any kind of decent bike lanes along it?

How about the overpass itself?

I'll have to look at Orenco as well.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-11-2017, 10:58 AM

I haven't paid much attention to bike paths along Cornell, they likely exist BUT that intersection of Cornell Road and the 26 overpass involves many cars switching lanes. Not particularly bike friendly. The Murray Road 26 overpass is straightforward so would be safer IMHO for a cyclist.

Not on the MAX but very convenient to your new place of work would be the apartments (maybe they are condos) on the west side of the 158th & Greenbriar Parkway intersection. There is a bike path from that Island Terrace complex to the intersection which is controlled by a stop light. It is so close that, depending on how close your place of employment is to 158th, you could walk to work.

Greenbriar is basically a dead-end road for vehicles. Drilling down on Google Maps it looks like you may be able to access that street from Murray by bike using a bike path at the corner of Pioneer and Meadow.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanks! Appreciate the info. I wouldn't consider "bike friendly" to be an ultimate criteria for me, but it's something to think about if I end up deciding to shoot for one of the complexes that close to the office. I would definitely think about biking if it was convenient enough.

Side question here, is there a particular street or area that's more of an entertainment district for Beaverton I should think about living near if I wanted to be able to walk to bars and restaurants, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland