Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:48 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
^^^^^

The above post is interesting and very telling.

It's like you are saying that Oregon and Portland have no identity of their own, but that they are a combination of Washington and California.

That's petty much the way it feels now anyways.
Oregon is becoming a State of transplants.
Maybe that's why this town is getting so crazy, it doesn't have it's own identity.
Portland is always compared to where you came from.

I for one am honored to be one of the last remaining few that knows what it's like to identify as a born and bred Oregonian (before the population exploded and changed everything) and not an interstate mutt.
When did this 'explosion' happen? Californians (and others) have been moving to Oregon since at least the 1970s, prompting that famous quip from the Governor to "visit us, but don't stay." Did the Portlandia TV show accelerate the influx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 02:57 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Quote:
When did this 'explosion' happen?
Really?
Is this a serious question?

Where have you been the last 20 years?

Old 11-21-2017, 03:25 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
The reality is many cities are growing everywhere. The planet passed 7 billion people and it isn't slowing down. It is what it is.

Portland definitely has its own vibe and doesn't feel homogenized. They make it their own while still being welcoming but aware.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
When did this 'explosion' happen? Californians (and others) have been moving to Oregon since at least the 1970s, prompting that famous quip from the Governor to "visit us, but don't stay." Did the Portlandia TV show accelerate the influx?
I moved to Portland in the late 70's. I left in 2014. Of course changes happened but I feel the biggest were made in the 90's. That's when it felt like the strongest surge took place. I do believe that "Portlandia" had an influence on people wanting to move there but wasn't the only reason.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:46 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
The NY Times also played a huge part.

Portland was their "Darling" west coast city.

I think that a lot of recent residents just have absolutely no clue how different this city was back in the 80's and 90's, even into the early 2000's...

It hasn't always been like it is now.
To me, the major changes happened from 2005 (about the time Sam Adams showed up) to the present.

It's very hard sometimes for us lifetime residents to stomach the "It is what it is" comments.

Portland never expected, nor wanted to be a major west coast hub like Seattle or San Francisco.

The infrastructure just doesn't exist for a metropolitan area of over 2,000,000 people in the "Portland Region" (the five Oregon counties surrounding Portland).

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 11-21-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 03:50 PM

830 posts, read 486,473 times
I think the booming cost of living in the SF Bay Area and Seattle are encouraging a lot of people to consider Portland.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
If you go on the NYC C-D forum you'll see similar sentiments lamenting about the past where members are missing the more gritty New York of the 70's and 80's and complaining about transplants from time to time. Then others come on and counter with the past is dead and let it go. That it wasn't as good as any of them remember it really. I've also read similar on the Boise forum and a couple others like this one. Too many people crowding and changing things, etc and my Grandma said back in her day people were saying the same things. lol

"The more things change the more they stay the same."

Old 11-22-2017, 09:50 AM

812 posts, read 1,061,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
The reality is many cities are growing everywhere. The planet passed 7 billion people and it isn't slowing down. It is what it is.

This.

And I am not saying that is a good thing.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
If you go on the NYC C-D forum you'll see similar sentiments lamenting about the past where members are missing the more gritty New York of the 70's and 80's and complaining about transplants from time to time. Then others come on and counter with the past is dead and let it go. That it wasn't as good as any of them remember it really. I've also read similar on the Boise forum and a couple others like this one. Too many people crowding and changing things, etc and my Grandma said back in her day people were saying the same things. lol

"The more things change the more they stay the same."
It isn't the past people are complaining about so much as the blatant disregard for those who have built the cities up to the present from those who are new step in and act as if they nothing existed before they arrived. They often refuse to listen to the incumbents and continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 7,986 times
Alberta street can feel a little like Berkley. Cultually, Pdx and Berkely are simialar, but so are urban cities along the West coast. Berkley is the heart of liberal thought in many ways though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland