Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 PM

107 posts, read 278,446 times

Advertisements

I think most people move to Portland (or stay there) for overall quality of life and are willing to accept lower wages in return for everything else that Portland has to offer.

When enough people decide that it is no longer worth it and move out, then employers will have a harder time finding workers and have to raise wages.

I guess I'm in a unique position of being able to move to Portland (once I finally make a decision) for the better quality of life (vs. Phoenix) and increase my salary and benefits. I had looked at moving to Portland about 5-6 years ago, but at that time I would not have been able to make an acceptable amount, so unlike many others, I decide to stay put and consider Portland again in the future, which is now today

As long as people are moving to Portland and willing to accept lower wages, then you can expect this general trend to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:15 PM

199 posts, read 800,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
Instead of "playing the system" you could also acquire training and job skills that lead to pay higher than $12/hr. There is nothing immoral about paying someone $12/hr if they agree to that wage.
there are a number of problems with that. First you need to pay for your training (on top of normal bills). Second you have to be certain your new skills will be in demand and in this shifting economy you just never know. Third, often even having skills is not enough. You must master the art of "networking" aka knowing whose ego to stroke and when cause after all most jobs are not advertised but are filled via "word of mouth" (aka cronyism). Sure some can deal with all this bullcrap and come out with a good job in the end but there are so many places in which you can slip up.
Aside from that just getting a good job is so much (unpaid) work it's almost not worth it. Working for a wage or a salary at a normal job is pretty much a losing battle these days anyway. There are better ways and you don't necessarily have to "play the system", although I have nothing against doing that if you think it's in your best interest. Start a business, or work unconventional hours or work seasonally, etc etc. The traditional route is outmoded in today's economy. One needs to get creative. As much as I hate that over used term, especially in regards to making an income.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:22 PM

160 posts, read 629,305 times
Starting a business takes money, no matter how you look at it, you need to be very creative in starting a business. Believe me I know, my friend and I have done just that this past year, and with everything, it still takes time for the business to get off the ground. Working unusual hours or seasonal is great if you do not have a family, and do not have to pay child care. If you are a single parent, no matter what hours you work, you will have to pay child care. It really comes down to how badly you want to work. Sometimes we have to take the not so attractive job, until we find what we really are looking for. Becoming educated or trained is not so far out there, I have also been taking classes on line to further my knowledge. I do not have much down time, but it is temporary. It will pay off.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
I think most people move to Portland (or stay there) for overall quality of life and are willing to accept lower wages in return for everything else that Portland has to offer.

When enough people decide that it is no longer worth it and move out, then employers will have a harder time finding workers and have to raise wages.

I guess I'm in a unique position of being able to move to Portland (once I finally make a decision) for the better quality of life (vs. Phoenix) and increase my salary and benefits. I had looked at moving to Portland about 5-6 years ago, but at that time I would not have been able to make an acceptable amount, so unlike many others, I decide to stay put and consider Portland again in the future, which is now today

As long as people are moving to Portland and willing to accept lower wages, then you can expect this general trend to continue.
In the 30 years I have lived in this city, the general trend as you describe has continued and shows no signs of stopping or even slowing down. Many people do leave the state because the lower wages or no wages drive them out but there are always many new people moving in to take their places. I think that is a major reason why Oregonians don't want "outsiders" to move here.

It would really make a difference if we didn't have such a confusing business tax base that drives away more potential transplants and new businesses from settling here. We always seem to lose out on bids for relocating companies from out-of-state.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:52 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
This is an interesting topic and I'll probably get flamed for voicing my take.

But I don't think someone looking to move to Portland should put too much weight on what shows up in these types of threads. It seems like the opinions and experiences are all over the place - from there are not enough 'skilled' talent to experienced professionals being out of work for 'months and years.'

This doesn't invalidate anyone's specific situation. But it also doesn't necessarily reflect the economy or job market as a whole either.

As a Senior Software Engineer with experience in current technologies I heard the same kind of thing before moving to Colorado. People on the Colorado forum were complaining about the current (at the time) job market. But I decided to give it a go and found a job within a fairly short time. After arriving here I have had recruiters contacting me a lot trying to get me to consider working for their clients.

Now that I have recently expressed interest in Portland on one of my online profiles I have had several recruiters contact me regarding jobs which I qualify for technically. Two of these positions even included relocation which I am not expecting. That was one thing I did on my own when moving to CO. and I think it helped with the 'out of towner' stigma.

Please understand I am not trying to negate what others have said but rather give another perspective of the Portland market. If someone has in demand skills I don't think they should be affraid to test the waters despite what the forums might be saying. There 'are' good jobs out there. I have spoken with a technical recruiter based in Portland who confirmed this. After speaking with him in depth he did say that salaries may be slightly lower than what they are here in Denver and Colorado Springs. And I am factoring that in to our plans. We will probably have to tighen our financial belt. But the latest Portland salaries I am seeing for my profession aren't rediculously low either. I have however seen smaller town salaries, mainly Southern Oregon, that have given me a good laugh or two.

Lastly the $12/Hr entry level job would be good for someone who can't find work. It should beat unemployment right? But it obviously wouldn't be a good fit for everyone. One's expenses and current cost of living have to be taken into account.

Just my 2c,

- Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-23-2008 at 06:25 PM..

Old 03-23-2008, 09:15 PM

107 posts, read 278,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In the 30 years I have lived in this city, the general trend as you describe has continued and shows no signs of stopping or even slowing down. Many people do leave the state because the lower wages or no wages drive them out but there are always many new people moving in to take their places. I think that is a major reason why Oregonians don't want "outsiders" to move here.

It would really make a difference if we didn't have such a confusing business tax base that drives away more potential transplants and new businesses from settling here. We always seem to lose out on bids for relocating companies from out-of-state.
Personally I think you are voting for the wrong politicians up there.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:14 AM

199 posts, read 800,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7run View Post
Starting a business takes money, no matter how you look at it, you need to be very creative in starting a business. Believe me I know, my friend and I have done just that this past year, and with everything, it still takes time for the business to get off the ground. Working unusual hours or seasonal is great if you do not have a family, and do not have to pay child care. If you are a single parent, no matter what hours you work, you will have to pay child care. It really comes down to how badly you want to work. Sometimes we have to take the not so attractive job, until we find what we really are looking for. Becoming educated or trained is not so far out there, I have also been taking classes on line to further my knowledge. I do not have much down time, but it is temporary. It will pay off.
Well nothing is simple or easy. My suggestions in lieu of working a steady job are certainly not cure-alls. Also I have no family or kids and have no plans too (in part cause of the lousy economic situation our country is in, though it's a bit more complex) so that's another consideration. My general perception is that for most people, single or not, the "perfect job" is a myth perpetuated by society to make us feel bad when we can't find it. People bust themselves trying to find it hoping it will "pay off" down the line. Maybe, maybe not, but don't forget that today, now, the current moment, etc is all you really have. And tomorrow is a heck of a lot more guaranteed than ten years, especially in these tumultuous times. Of course, people with families often don't have much choice about what to do with their lives.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:30 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
Just something upbeat. On March 7, I lost my job. Something I had foreseen. On Friday, March 21, I interviewed for a job. When I returned home, there was an e-mail waiting for me saying I had the job--15% more than I was making. And I told him I couldn't give him an answer because I have to call two other companies on Monday to find out what their answers are regarding hiring me.

I'm 49, white, male, college-educated. I feel very fortunate.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Thanks Bob,

That is great news! It is good to add a little balance to these threads on the economy. There are still people working and finding new economic growth opportunities in Portland. I also appreciate the fact the you mentioned you are in your 40s which I am also. Sometimes experience and education do pay off!

- Derek

Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 AM

33 posts, read 67,457 times
Default Economy Bad?

Contrary to what “Leisesturm” says, I think both “John Shaft” and “Minervah” appear to agree with my comments. The economy is indeed bad. I have 30 years experience in high tech manufacturing accounting. I don’t even list my salary requirements on my resume any more. I have called numerous recruiters and most don’t even call or respond to emails. Online postings are in fact a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland