Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 AM
wtg wtg started this thread

15 posts, read 76,950 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is having a dispute with his landlord -- does anyone know of any city government agency that mediates these things or that acts as a tenant rights advocate? Or if there's a Portland city commissioner whose office is particularly sympathetic to renters? We've scoured the Portland city gov't website and found nothing--I know other cities often have agencies that deal with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM

295 posts, read 659,045 times
You should contact the Community Alliance of Tenants, a nonprofit tenant rights organization that has a renter's hotline. They should be able to help or refer you to the right place. Their number is (503) 288-0130, or Community Alliance of Tenants. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
CAT won't mediate for your friend. He should go to the county courthouse and get a copy of the Landlord Tenants Rules. They will tell him his rights as a renter but he will have to get his own attorney or arrange for a mediator if his landlord will agree to it.

If there are building code violations he can contact the state housing inspectors who will come out and determine whether or not the building is up to code.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
wtg wtg started this thread

15 posts, read 76,950 times
Thank you both for the info-

Old 02-03-2010, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 9,803 times
how does a pet rent work? Does in constitute as a form of pet deposit?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,992 times
My rental property management company's drop-box was stolen on the 3rd of august, and I did not find out until today, when I received a termination notice on my front door telling me that I would be evicted. I paid my rent on the 3rd when the box was stolen. So between then and now I was unaware that my check had been stolen. When I asked them why I was not informed until today, they said that they had too many tenants to notify of the theft, and that they were waiting to see who would respond to the eviction notices. Is this legal?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,482,376 times
Was your check cashed by the thief? Can you stop payment on the Check?

I would 1st check with Police to see if a report has been filed, so you can add your claim for your check being stolen.

Go as fast as you can to a legal aid place and get their take on the "CLAIM" by your landlord his rent drop box was stolen, and why he didn't have you use US Postal service to deliver your rent check.

This sounds slimy from several stand points. Eviction notices because of theft (ie not your fault) and no grace given or working with renters so they could put out a stop payment and re-issue a new monthly check? Really? Legal or not, do you want to continue living in one of his apartments?

Phil

Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,171 times
I lived with a ex-boyfriend for a few months, when I moved out I signed a paper that the manager supplied to me at the appartments and my ex continued to live and pay rent for a year. He now has moved and not payed last months rent or damage fees to the appartment and they are requiring me to pay this now. They state the paper they had me sign is not valid due to they didnt sign it and the ex boyfriend did not sign this. I asked for a copy of this document and they denied me having it. Am I obligated to pay for this? They tell me they will garnish my wages if I dont pay.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniferhelp View Post
I lived with a ex-boyfriend for a few months, when I moved out I signed a paper that the manager supplied to me at the appartments and my ex continued to live and pay rent for a year. He now has moved and not payed last months rent or damage fees to the appartment and they are requiring me to pay this now. They state the paper they had me sign is not valid due to they didnt sign it and the ex boyfriend did not sign this. I asked for a copy of this document and they denied me having it. Am I obligated to pay for this? They tell me they will garnish my wages if I dont pay.
We as forum members offer opinions. If you would like facts, I would seek elsewhere for advice. Try inquiring at places like these.

Welcome to OregonLAWhelp.org | A guide to free and low-cost legal aid, assistance and services in Oregon

Legal Help

If they can't help you, they will know where to send you. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
No forum is a good place to ask for, or receive legal advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: