Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 12:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I agree but many wives want to live near others where they share a culture, faith and food preferences. This is true not only for Indian families but also Americans when they find themselves in a foreign country.
Always true of a newly landed immigrant family. Those already there show them the ropes so the culture shock is less strong. That’s why cities have consisted of ethnic neighborhoods since time began. Then as the next generations become more familiar or assimilated with the new culture there is more mixing.

Of course there are exceptions but I think as a rule first generation immigrant families of similar ethnic backgrounds like to stick together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 01:13 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Orenco Station in Hillsboro would be a good place to look.
This.

There is quite a community of East Indians in the Orenco region. Near many things, including the light-rail. The only problem is that apartments and condos tend to have a waiting list. Still worth checking, though.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
I agree but many wives want to live near others where they share a culture, faith and food preferences. This is true not only for Indian families but also Americans when they find themselves in a foreign country.
right I get that (as a child having lived in 3 different countries before I was 10), but I did want to reassure the OP.
(We went out to Bangra hip hop - or something like that, it was pretty electronic but managed to stay bangra- the night before last here in ole SE Portland, that was quite the scene!)

Old 01-15-2018, 08:31 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
right I get that (as a child having lived in 3 different countries before I was 10), but I did want to reassure the OP.
(We went out to Bangra hip hop - or something like that, it was pretty electronic but managed to stay bangra- the night before last here in ole SE Portland, that was quite the scene!)
So, I am mixed race with mixed race kids and a brown husband and lived in NE Portland for over five years and I can tell you that a family like mine lived amongst “open-minded,liberal Portlanders who were more racist than I had expected. Found out while living there that Beaverton and Hillsboro are the diverse areas of Portland metro and it is. Your post is amusing though.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
So, I am mixed race with mixed race kids and a brown husband and lived in NE Portland for over five years and I can tell you that a family like mine lived amongst “open-minded,liberal Portlanders who were more racist than I had expected. Found out while living there that Beaverton and Hillsboro are the diverse areas of Portland metro and it is. Your post is amusing though.

SE is pretty different from NE Portland (historically an African American neighborhood, right)
and mine is one of the most diverse in the city(which is yes, very white, the 60mins episode was pretty right on), suburbs are really not for everyone, but it seems to be a great fit for you and your own family, kudos.

I took the OPs query to be about living in Portland , not the 'burbs outside of it though, and was trying to be helpful.

I think, after many many years of living in the deep south (Alabama, Arkansas) and then in CA (rural and not) that what really helps is peoples attitudes, and yes there is racism but most folks are friendly and welcoming. ..

Old 01-15-2018, 10:28 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
SE is pretty different from NE Portland (historically an African American neighborhood, right)
and mine is one of the most diverse in the city(which is yes, very white, the 60mins episode was pretty right on), suburbs are really not for everyone, but it seems to be a great fit for you and your own family, kudos.

I took the OPs query to be about living in Portland , not the 'burbs outside of it though, and was trying to be helpful.

I think, after many many years of living in the deep south (Alabama, Arkansas) and then in CA (rural and not) that what really helps is peoples attitudes, and yes there is racism but most folks are friendly and welcoming. ..
I can’t understand your post. I lived in inner NE Portland which is mostly white. I think you need read about North Portland which was gentrified, famously so. You live in Lents, right? Lents has an interesting history, as well. The Indian community is out in the western burbs so Hillsboro is a natural suggestion.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:12 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:

Even so, if OP's husband is moving to Portland for a job as an air traffic controller or a ski lift mechanic, if the family moves to an Indian community in Hillsborough, OP will never see her husband because he is going to spend 3 hours a day stuck in traffic. When he does finally get home, he is likely to be tired and grumpy with traffic frustration.

OP might be better off to find out where the job is located and find a place to live that is a reasonable commute time. Then look for a comfortable community in that area

Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Even so, if OP's husband is moving to Portland for a job as an air traffic controller or a ski lift mechanic, if the family moves to an Indian community in Hillsborough, OP will never see her husband because he is going to spend 3 hours a day stuck in traffic. When he does finally get home, he is likely to be tired and grumpy with traffic frustration.

OP might be better off to find out where the job is located and find a place to live that is a reasonable commute time. Then look for a comfortable community in that area
If the family is moving from India I doubt that would be the case but I agree that she should look for housing convenient to her husband's employment.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:25 PM

32 posts, read 23,600 times
Guys, what you can say about gay couple. What part of Portland is OK? Thank you.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:16 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matou88 View Post
Guys, what you can say about gay couple. What part of Portland is OK? Thank you.
all of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland