Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 04:59 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Very true. Plus you are really grading on a mediocre curve in Oregon. LO, Lakeridge, and West Linn may be among the most prestigious and resource rich schools in Oregon but they really don't compare to truly elite and resource rich public schools in other states, like say TX or MA or CT where I have seen public schools that make LO look poor in both resources and results.
Also California, schools were a factor in the decision for me to move here from the Portland area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 03:35 AM

25 posts, read 36,631 times
I'm responding because I am a local considering a move to LO. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, because I grew up in Portland (NE and SW).

Our primary reason for considering LO is closer proximity to my husband's work, schools, and homes in our budget. We live in North Portland and love it, but his commute has grown from 25 minutes one-way to 1 hour 10 min on the worst days. He can actually bike home faster than driving a car, it's ridiculous. Granted we're commuting in a different direction (and through the city), but 3 years ago the commute was acceptable. Now it's become a deal breaker, and it's only getting worse. I doubt the West Linn-to-LO commute will experience the same type of surge, but given all the growth in the area, I think it's best to avoid an I-5/205 commute if you can.

Also, Google maps has a feature where you can look at drive times based on departure/arrival times on any given day. The results are posted as estimated ranges, but I find them to be fairly accurate. For example, Thursdays are the worst days of the week for my husband's commute, and Google is spot-on estimating up to 1 hour 10 min for his drive home.

As for diversity, I hear your concerns. This is my biggest concern moving to the LO area as a minority. I hear conflicting opinions constantly - mostly anecdotal and nothing to really base a move off of. One thing I haven't heard you mention is religion/church affiliation. I used to work in LO, and many if not most of my coworkers who lived in LO with kids were affiliated with a church, and that culture tended to dominate socially -- we are not religious and this is an added concern of mine.

I can't speak much to West Linn except that I do like the area. Many young families are moving there. A good friend teaches in the district and loves it. It's not in our budget and it's too far outside our commuting range.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,350 times
Just in case you missed this, this racial bullying story has been in the news recently.
Quote:
Jennifer Cook said her 13-year-old son was sitting in class at Lake Oswego School District when three classmates handed him a note.

The note had two words: The “N-word” and the word “dog.”
Lake Oswego parent describes racial bullying of son:

Old 01-31-2018, 12:36 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Just in case you missed this, this racial bullying story has been in the news recently.

Lake Oswego parent describes racial bullying of son:
Thanks for posting this. I can’t say I am surprised by any racist incident reported by students in the Portland area. I can recall at least a dozen racist comments/ attitudes and incidents easily by mostly parents and their offspring in the most “liberal” areas of Portland proper. I am a true progressive but many to most in Portland voted for Obama but don’t see anyone different than them as equal. I actually had a mom tell me that Obama being president meant that racism was no longer an issue. She was quite educated and considered herself liberal. I saw racism/ discrimination by teachers at certain schools in Portland and when reported it to admin. was smiled at then found out the teacher was retained but moved to a higher grade. My family moved to Beaverton which is the most diverse city in Oregon. Of course there is racism out here too but nothing like Portland. I always tell transplants to rent for a while and then buy because there is a difference between neighborhoods and suburbs.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Some parents say the issues won’t be resolved until there is more representation of minority groups within the district. Others are skeptical of that.
That doesn’t sound like a very good solution that would encourage minority groups to move there. It’s more like whoever’s saying that is really more interested in keeping the status quo.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 867 times
Koolcat, what did you decide? Happy with your choice? My family is struggling with this decision. Any feedback would be very much appreciated!

Old 08-30-2021, 08:46 AM

200 posts, read 174,114 times
save yourself a lot of money and look at SW Tigard. Same set up without the title and prices. Take the savings and put your children in Private education. The Oregon PS system is terrible.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:33 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
save yourself a lot of money and look at SW Tigard. Same set up without the title and prices. Take the savings and put your children in Private education. The Oregon PS system is terrible.
Honestly you won't save much money moving to Tigard. Lake Oswego has larger properties on larger lots. But if you are comparing apples to apples, same size house and lot, then the price difference isn't much.

For example, here is an 800K house in Lake Oswego that is 4 br, 4ba, and 2848 sf. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...53916765_zpid/

Here is a relatively comparable sized home in Tigard on a similar lot that is slightly smaller and with one less bath for $740K https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...51278755_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland