U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:39 PM

184 posts, read 128,726 times

Advertisements

Chicago is much bigger and has way more stuff to do but Portland is more expensive and has more traffic congestion. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 10:11 PM
DKM

3,416 posts, read 1,237,862 times
Consider SoCal there is an accounting shortage and higher wages may cover the higher COL. six figures isn't hard to come by. Unless you really hate sunshine or are super liberal you won't miss anything about Portland here. I haven't been asked for money by strangers since I moved...

Old 03-08-2018, 09:10 AM

21,697 posts, read 24,251,476 times
These cities are so different it’s really hard to compare. Both are great places. If given the opportunity I would recommend living for a time in both of them because the both have such uniquely different features. If you are young and just starting out you don’t have to stay in the first place you begin.

For the job opportunity Chicago is going to have the edge so maybe start there and if possible get a transfer to Portland sometime later. That’s how I moved to Portland with a job waiting for me many years ago. I lived about half my life in each. Good experiences in both.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:33 PM

741 posts, read 622,233 times
One of my daughters moved to Chicago in her twenties, from where she was raised in the Seattle area, which is similar to Portland.
She loved Chicago in her twenties. It was a non-stop party. COL was much more reasonable than the PNW too. But about the time she hit her 30's she was noticing all her friends were moving out of Chicago, into the burbs as they settled down and started a family. Chicago burbs did not appeal to her.

Winters in Chicago were brutal. It is not so much the low temps and snow, as the wind. It is called the Windy City for a reason. She loved the Summers there. Tons of city activities and the lake activities were a major appeal too.

My other daughter has stayed in Seattle proper, with the gloom and rain. She fights depression and a major case of Seasonal Affective Disorder. We wish she would move for her health but she has lots of friends in Seattle and doesn't want to leave them.

The Chicago daughter has recently moved to NYC and loves it there. A bit more serious lifestyle for her, but the main driver was a change in career, and living in a place that supports a career that makes her happy is worth the downsides of NYC. Which is something to ponder. But if its the same job either place for you....That is a tough decision between Portland and Chicago.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:57 PM

5,160 posts, read 2,756,492 times
It really comes down to your tolerance for the cold weather. Chicago is a tremendous city, for the most part people are stellar and it's world-class place to live by any measure. But those winters...

Old 03-11-2018, 06:13 PM

1,500 posts, read 731,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPlanning View Post
Vancouver (vantucky) or Tacoma over Chicago? Doesn't Bend get as cold as Chicago in winter? Those places are too slow, small, and boring for me. Portland and Seattle are the only cities in PNW I would want to live in.

Why do you hate Chicago? If you read my OP, I have lived in Portland and Seattle and I remember two seasons there: short summers from July 5 to September (perfect weather) to damp/cloudy/wet majority of the year with occasional nice sunny days in late spring (mid-April-July 4) and early fall (until mid-October). Looking at the average weather data, Chicago is only colder than Portland/Seattle for three months (Dec/Jan/Feb). And Portland/Seattle are very humid in winter. I agree that food all around is better!

I agree that Illinois is bad financial shape, but I am not going to be working for the government. Fortune 500 companies are relocating from suburbs to the loop (Con Agra, Heinz-Kraft, McDonalds, Motorola). Companies moving to Chicago from the suburbs - Chicago Tribune
Illinois has 50 fortune 500 companies, Oregon has 2. The reasons why housing is expensive in Portland is due to urban growth boundary, height restrictions, anti development/growth attitude, and influx of California buyers. Its not simply because the local economy is thriving (which i'm glad, because it wasn't when I lived there).

From my experience Chicago's downtown seems cleaner than both Portland and Seattle, where there are panhandlers on every corner.

Illinois has 36 Fortune 500 companies. Really, Boeing's presence is modest there, like 300-500 workers. Tens of thousands more are still back in Seattle or at the plant in S.C.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM

578 posts, read 500,798 times
So many more positives to Portland and being in the West Coast vs Chicago (ie beaches, mountains etc). Portland's crime is much less overall than Chicago as well. Portland to live and Chicago to visit.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:10 AM

31 posts, read 21,265 times
[quote=walker1962;51278829]Illinois has 36 Fortune 500 companies. Really, Boeing's presence is modest there, like 300-500 workers. Tens of thousands more are still back in Seattle or at the plant in S.C.

This says 50...even if 36 was right, that is much higher than 2 in OR!
50 Illinois
companies land on annual Fortune 500 list - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
So many more positives to Portland and being in the West Coast vs Chicago (ie beaches, mountains etc). Portland's crime is much less overall than Chicago as well. Portland to live and Chicago to visit.
So far for me its a pretty close call, with Chicago having slightly more positives (real big city, better nightlife, better singles scene, water you can actually swim in, 24 hour public transit option, diversified economy, better career opportunities, more friendlier/outgoing vibe).

Portland Positives to me seems to be the current economic growth, milder winters (but downside is the more wet/dreary/cloudier days than Chicago), perfect summer weather (Chicago can be a little humid), less competition since its smaller city.

I agree that Portland's overall crime is less, however the Chicago areas I would live in are pretty safe. Portland's homeless situation is much worse!

If they offer me same salary, I will most likely lean towards Chicago. Online it seems that accountants make more in Chicago.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 1,389 times
Sorry, I'll keep my rainy, dreary commute in the 40s in January over teens, with wind chills in the negatives and constant ice and snow. I don't give a damn if you can see the sun in the sky.

Chicago has a more robust rapid transit system, but I would disagree tooth and nail that traffic is better than Portland's. Portland traffic sucks, but Chicago is like the 4th largest metro in the US...

Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,288,251 times
[quote=CityPlanning;51290997]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Illinois has 36 Fortune 500 companies. Really, Boeing's presence is modest there, like 300-500 workers. Tens of thousands more are still back in Seattle or at the plant in S.C.

This says 50...even if 36 was right, that is much higher than 2 in OR!
50 Illinois
companies land on annual Fortune 500 list - Chicago Tribune

So far for me its a pretty close call, with Chicago having slightly more positives (real big city, better nightlife, better singles scene, water you can actually swim in, 24 hour public transit option, diversified economy, better career opportunities, more friendlier/outgoing vibe).

Portland Positives to me seems to be the current economic growth, milder winters (but downside is the more wet/dreary/cloudier days than Chicago), perfect summer weather (Chicago can be a little humid), less competition since its smaller city.

I agree that Portland's overall crime is less, however the Chicago areas I would live in are pretty safe. Portland's homeless situation is much worse!

If they offer me same salary, I will most likely lean towards Chicago. Online it seems that accountants make more in Chicago.
I am not sure how you think the homelessness is going to afffect your daily life? It honestly doesn't effect mine and never has, despite my years in San Francisco and here in Portland.... but whatever,, I guess...

Have fun with Chicago! My aunt lived 25 years there....
Thank god she moved. There's a whole Community of former Chicagoans here in PDX....... just in case. You take. A second look afterwards)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or