Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:01 PM

136 posts, read 180,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Once you get used to local temps and spend a lot of time outside shorts are doable March to October easily.

I worked outdoors for years with guys who unless it was raining only wore a heavy flannel for warmth, in all but the most frigid days. Summer is the worst really, temps spike faster than you can acclimate. Its fantastic once you catch up though. I always dreaded the end of summer and getting used to the cold again.

Its amazing what you can get used to. I am still outside much of the day here in Houston. Humidity 80%+ 90+ degrees at times. That would kill me in Portland. Its heats up slower here and you can adjust to it (for me anyway). It is not pleasant but you can work through it.
Well sweater is fine and hoodie. But if you can do shorts march to october, that's news to me lol

Old 02-18-2018, 08:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
July and August are the only reliably warm months in Portland. September and June usually are. May and October partially/sometimes. About 3 or 4 days in April. Keep in mind many Oregonians think 60s is shorts and T shirt weather.
Or 50s!

Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
I notice the UPS guys in Oregon wear shorts all the time, winter, spring, summer, fall. Is that the case everywhere?

Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I notice the UPS guys in Oregon wear shorts all the time, winter, spring, summer, fall. Is that the case everywhere?
I believe so.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
But isn't it way too cold? LOL.
Other people have more cold tolerance than me. I used to work with a guy that wore shorts year-around. It was always funny when we had a work meeting and he had to wear pants. He looked uncomfortable in pants.

If I'm moving around, like hiking, I don't mind my legs being exposed even down to maybe the mid-40s. Or if I'm just going from house to car to store or to work, then back to the car, then home--the exposure time isn't very long.

For me, it's my upper body that has to have the warmth. Fleece, sweatshirt, sweater, down coat, flannel shirt, etc. Not all at once, just some sort of mix-and-match of layers. And my head--if my head is warm, the rest of my body can withstand quite a bit more cold. Also you have to factor in the wind. It can be more comfortable in Portland at 45 degrees with no wind than it is at the coast with a temperature of 55 but a steady 20 mph wind blowing. IMO.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Other people have more cold tolerance than me. I used to work with a guy that wore shorts year-around. It was always funny when we had a work meeting and he had to wear pants. He looked uncomfortable in pants.

If I'm moving around, like hiking, I don't mind my legs being exposed even down to maybe the mid-40s. Or if I'm just going from house to car to store or to work, then back to the car, then home--the exposure time isn't very long.

For me, it's my upper body that has to have the warmth. Fleece, sweatshirt, sweater, down coat, flannel shirt, etc. Not all at once, just some sort of mix-and-match of layers. And my head--if my head is warm, the rest of my body can withstand quite a bit more cold. Also you have to factor in the wind. It can be more comfortable in Portland at 45 degrees with no wind than it is at the coast with a temperature of 55 but a steady 20 mph wind blowing. IMO.
So how many months a year can u wear shorts (with sweater)

Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
In three pages this has been answered the same way every time - it depends on what your cold tolerance is. You "can" wear shorts every day if you want to. Some people never seem to feel the cold, some people think it's cold if it drops below 70°.

You can simply look at a temp chart to find out the average monthly temps and find out how many months of the year YOU can be comfortable wearing shorts. We can't answer that for you.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Yeah, OP, are you conducting a survey to find out what everyone's individual cold tolerance level is? It's not clear what you want, exactly.

If you are referring specifically to me, I wear shorts mostly from sometime in May to sometime in October, give or take a few weeks depending on the weather that year. But we may get a stretch of 70° weather in April during which I might wear shorts.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Oh, maybe you want a NUMBER of months. OK here: 4.5.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
If I drive over the mountains to the Willamette Valley in the middle of winter, it always seems warm to me. Except it is always raining. So, you need to tell us how you feel about rain on your bare legs, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: