Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,570 times

Advertisements

I generally work from home or take the Max to my downtown office, so I don't really know the traffic patterns very well. I'm considering applying for a job in Vancouver, near Esther Short Park. Is this an insane idea? As far as I know my only options are to drive or take the Max downtown and then transfer to C-TRAN, both of which sound like they'd take forever. Is there a better way, or is one of those not as bad as it sounds?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:27 PM

5,473 posts, read 7,769,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbyshelties View Post
I generally work from home or take the Max to my downtown office, so I don't really know the traffic patterns very well. I'm considering applying for a job in Vancouver, near Esther Short Park. Is this an insane idea? As far as I know my only options are to drive or take the Max downtown and then transfer to C-TRAN, both of which sound like they'd take forever. Is there a better way, or is one of those not as bad as it sounds?
Google maps is very accurate in its estimate of driving times. Simulate your commute on your phone for the next couple of days. At 7 am or whenever you would be making the commute, run the route on your phone and see what the travel time is and where the red spots are. Do the same thing for your return commute and check it out at different times over the next few days to get a good sample size.

My guess is that the most congested part of your drive will be driving 26 up to 405 and once you hit 405 North it will likely be fairly fast sailing up I-5 to Vancouver against the traffic. On the return trip it will be the same, reasonable traffic on I-5 and lots of traffic on 405 and 26. But check for yourself.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:38 PM

That's definitely useful to do, but I'd still like to hear from someone who actually does the drive. They'll know the patterns throughout the year, the back roads that Google or Apple maps may not suggest, and whether there are public transportation options that makes sense.

My inclination would be to not take 26 at all - Germantown road to St Johns and then back roads to Marine Drive to i-5 is how I would normally go. But that may not be the best route at that time.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:41 PM

70 posts, read 158,929 times
Move to the Vancouver area and take advantage of a shorter commute and no state income taxes?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:42 PM

Not an option; my husband does not want to move.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:33 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,075,383 times
Had to attach a picture for you

You didn't talk about the time of day you'd be commuting, so I'm assuming you'll work the normal 8-5pm shift. The fun part about Google, is you can chose when to arrive/leave and what day, AND you can adjust the route (I did it for freeway and Germantown, back way, it was the same). I'd say, for the most part, your commute will be about an hour long, assuming normal traffic, no accidents/delays/etc. Add in too much rain, maybe some ice, an accident and you'll easily be looking at a 2 hour commute (my co-worker was going the opposite way and she said 2-hours was becoming normal. At least you're kind of going against it).

All the shortcuts you spoke of, everyone takes. And as you know, those winding back roads, one accident or stalled car and you could be stuck for awhile.

Hopefully someone that travels those roads will be able to give you a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Is commuting from Hillsboro to downtown Vancouver feasible?-capture.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland