Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 PM

56 posts, read 94,322 times

Advertisements

We're going to be heading out to visit Tillamook and the coast. Are there any stops in between Portland and Tillamook to get out and stretch our legs. We'll be traveling with kids so breaking up a two hour drive is ideal if possible.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, we'll be there the third week in November. Will there be snow then? Should we be concerned about the roads? Thanks in advance. These forums are always super helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 07:12 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
You would all love the forest center. They do guided tours through the trails around the property also. I would check if they are open that time of year.

Tillamook Forest Center

Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 PM

Thank you! That looks like an excellent place to visit. I've been trying to look for a stop between Portland and Tillamook and it's a shame that it doesn't come up as a suggestion.

Does the area get snow around that time of year? Should we be concerned about the driving conditions? First time visitors from Hawaii so all of this is very new and exciting.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Plan on wet (drizzle) and 40F (day and night)

Snow is possible, not likely. ~10%,

Plan your trip to avaoid the usual high traffic times (Friday afternoon, Sat AM and Sunday PM)

Drive 2 lane with your lights on.

Drive west coast from Southbound direction so you do not have to cross traffic when exiting for pictures and views.

Find a places to eat with some warm soup.

How much of the coast will you want to see?

In 40 yrs of commuting (15yrs with kids). I have never taken a 'rest break' between Coast and West gorge (~1:20) off traffic commute. Your style may vary. My car goes 1200 miles between gas stations, so my kids learned to live with very infrequent stops.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:27 PM

Hey, thank you for all the tips! We're really not going to see much on the coast. We're just going to the cheese factory and Cape Meares. The drive itself isn't too long but I like to try find things in between that may be often missed.

Thank you again, you guys have been wonderful.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Whoops... I meant to say southbound travel is preferred while sightseeing on the coast via Highway 1.

there are a few things to see around Tillamook / Cape Mears, / Oceanside

If possible the Cannon Beach loop to Tillamook avails some very beautiful Northern Oregon coastline.
my favorites are:
Ecola Overlook
Cannon Beach,
Hug Point State Park
and the driftwood beaches at Twin Rocks

Old 05-25-2018, 08:43 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
There aren't really any good stops along the way other than a few pullouts to see the views.

Stealth is talking about taking highway 26 from Portland to the coast which is the most direct route and then driving south along 101 to Tillamook. This is a nice drive. The direct route to Tillamook is via highway 6 which is more curvy and less traveled. Going to Tillamook via 26 will add about an hour to the drive to account for the extra miles driving down 101 but it is very scenic.

Tillamook itself is not on the ocean, it is on Tillamook Bay. You have to go another 20 minutes or so to get to the actual ocean. But the beaches along the Tillamook coast are very nice and much more remote because they are off the main highway 101. You can drive over to Oceanside for some very nice beaches and then go up and visit Cape Mears State Park and lighthouse which is now a museum. Very nice.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:58 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,858,538 times
It can be very stormy that time of year. You should make a backup plan in case a storm rolls through and closes the road because of slides and downed trees (personal experience). Rain and wind are likely but not certain. Snow is not out of the question on the pass, but unusual before Thanksgiving. I would take an AWD just to be safe.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:21 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It can be very stormy that time of year. You should make a backup plan in case a storm rolls through and closes the road because of slides and downed trees (personal experience). Rain and wind are likely but not certain. Snow is not out of the question on the pass, but unusual before Thanksgiving. I would take an AWD just to be safe.

In all the years I lived there that Never happened.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:03 PM

199 posts, read 217,534 times
In November it gets dark really early and you don't want to be on Highway 6 when it's dark. The road is very curvy and there is no lighting. Your headlight is the only light source you'll have for many many miles.

Also the road has higher than average altitude and it gets snow unexpectedly. I've seen days where Portland was sunny and warm and it was snowy on Highway 6.

It's a great drive during summer though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland