Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 17,627 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to the Portland area in about a year from the suburbs of Minneapolis. I am 57 and semi-retired though I do work some.
I lived in Cedar Hills for about 4 months right before 9/11, but had to move back to MN because my house didn't sell and fall/winter was arriving and you DON'T want your house to be vacant in MN during those times! I've been reading a lot here about the Portland vs Vancouver debate and would like to get some knowledgeable opinions about taxes and cost of living:
Property taxes
Vehicle taxes
Utility costs
Any "Gotcha" taxes a n00bie would be unaware of

My target areas are the area around Cedar Hills and Hillsborough for OR and the area around 205 in Clark county. I know about the income tax and sales tax issues for both areas. In reading a tax comparison between the 2 places WA state is considered quite a bit higher than OR. So where is the difference made up? I only make 20-30k a year and I don't typically buy very much stuff. About 10k of my income is from dividends; if those are treated differently in the 2 states. I'm aware of cultural differences and would like to see this thread focus on financial issues. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
As a person who has owned houses in both and currently reside in Vacncouver, there are only a few differences.

1) The property taxes in Vancouver are, on average, 40% less than Portland.

2) If you live in WA and work in OR, you will pay about 95% of the OR income tax.

3) Of course, if you shop for anything other than food in WA you have to pay the 8% sales tax. Although deductible, you have to have a hell of a lot of sales tax before you can utilize the write off. In other words, forget it.

4) Lastly, vehicles sales tax. If you buy a vehicle while a resident of WA, you pay the sales tax. You may elect to cheat and register it in OR, but the fine is $5,000 and the state takes great delight in hunting down people who do this. If you move here and already have a vehicle, they may or may not charge you sales tax to register the vehicle.

Overall, unless you plan on buying a new vehicle in the near future, Vancouver is cheaper to live. But not by much.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:02 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,292 times
IIRC in Oregon, dividends are taxed at the state level at the same rate as any other income. But I am no taxation professional, so I encourage you to double-check this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: