Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:10 PM

61 posts, read 402,280 times

Advertisements

I moved from WA to OR and yeah it kinda was a pain in the butt to change car reg, license, etc. (I lost my title and had to order a new one, took 4 weeks) but to be honest and give you my opinion, Vancouver is VERY suburban. Nice town (especially east side) but if you want a real city experience, Portland is your town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 26,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadPettingill View Post
I moved from WA to OR and yeah it kinda was a pain in the butt to change car reg, license, etc. (I lost my title and had to order a new one, took 4 weeks) but to be honest and give you my opinion, Vancouver is VERY suburban. Nice town (especially east side) but if you want a real city experience, Portland is your town.
Yeah, I've been hearing that from people, really suburban feel. Might as well live in the city proper if I move there right? Thanks for the advice So now I'm wondering what would be a good neighborhood to look into renting in?

Old 03-29-2008, 05:19 PM

8 posts, read 21,495 times
Just check out craigslist. A LOT of realtors/leasing agencies/ apt complexes post there daily. That is what I am doing now, and it has worked well for me regarding the results I wanted. It can also give you a good feel of price ranges for certain areas. When I find a place on Craigslist, I usually go to google maps and look at street view to get an idea of what the direct area around the place looks like, and then I might visit the apartment's website. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,436 times
Default moving to portland

My family moved to Portland just 2 years ago. The least expensive place to live is North Portland. Many people remember North Portland the way it was in the 70's but it (Kenton) is the up and coming place to live. Just about every thing that a person would need you can walk, post office, beauty salons, stores, resturants, very dog friendly.There is a light rail system that many people use for commuting. We made the choice of buying affordable, traveling, haveing 2 kids in private schools or working for our home, North Portland was the place for us.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,364 times
N Portland is supposed to be the most dangerous area.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
No pain, no gain...

Old 04-07-2008, 05:02 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongxia649 View Post
N Portland is supposed to be the most dangerous area.
Not it's stereotyped to be the most dangerous area but just like NE it's a big place. There are more bad neighborhoods in North Portland than in say inner SE, but there are also very nice neighborhoods in North Portland too. And they're right about Kenton--if I were buying a home I'd be looking there. It's going to explode soon. It has a lot to offer and is still affordable (but I don't imagine it will be for long). The strip is already taking off and the light rail is literally right there in the center. And the gigantic Paul Bunyen statue is cool too boot. Then there's an amazing park and a lot of other things too.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:15 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
In case you didn't understand some of the earlier posts, it is illegal to use an out of state license to not pay taxes when you are living in the particular state. If they catch you, you will lose your license, get a fine around $1,000 dollars, and possibly serve jail time. Anyway, they take your old license away when you register in Washington. You may be able to get away with childish crimes in the small town you're in now, but it will catch up with you in a major metropolitan area.

I personally don't care for Vancouver that much, unless you're looking in the downtown area or Lincoln District. They have some neat houses and apartments there for reasonable prices. I like Portland much better.

There are actually some nice areas in North Portland. Some of it, though, is dangerous. East Portland is another nice area, like the Hawthorne District and Irvington District. The 23rd and PGE district downtown may be too expensive for your budget, but you can often find some good deals, but you have to look around.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Not only do I have a state drivers license, I have a state identification card. So I could always just use that. Why are you bothering to pick apart 1/100th of what I said?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm always really happy to hear about people who want to figure out a way they can stop from paying their fair share of taxes ... so I can pick up the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: