Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 PM

56 posts, read 211,649 times

Advertisements

Hi!! I have spent the greater part of the last hour trying to google information on this school that is outside of the school website. I am looking at going there in May, and I was just wondering what anyone can tell me about it from personal experience. I don't live anywhere near Portland currently, so it will be a huge move for me, and I want to know all that I can about it ahead of time. I've been trying to find online forums for nannies, but I can't find any that are reputable, or have what I am looking for as far as message forums... I really hope someone can help me because I think living in Portland for the next 7 months would be amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM

Wow... this isn't good... I posted this almost 24 hours ago and no response yikes...

Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM

107 posts, read 278,385 times
I dont know about the school, but it seems some people are not happy with their nannies.

Northwest Nannies Institute User Reviews - Lake Oswego, OR 97035-1215 - Citysearch

Northwest Nannies Institute, Lake Oswego, OR : reviews

Old 03-31-2008, 09:02 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,694 times
You know, the Money who uses nannies (I'm assuming you want full-time, live-in) will be in the BIG cities. Why don't you look for something in LA, Chicago, New York, the East Coast in general?

I think in Portland you'll be working mostly "temp" jobs..a day or two here, an evening there.

I know there are lots of agencies in LA. Maybe call up some of them and ask their advice for getting into the biz and see if they have recommendations for some nanny schools to look into--or if it's even necessary.

One thing for sure, get CPR (American Heart Association, not Red Cross) and first aid certified.

Last edited by FoxyKnox; 03-31-2008 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 PM

I think she was looking to go to the school, not be employed by them. I had no idea there was such a thing as Nanny Schools.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:28 PM

I am attending school this May to become a professional Nanny... there are 2 or 3 schools like this in the US, and one happens to be in Portland, and I visited the area a few years ago and love it. I was looking for an online forum for nannies so I can meet some who are already established there, so I can set up playdates (i will be living with a host family, and in exchange for room & board I will watch their children) and stuff like that... and find things to do on my days off...

Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 PM

I wish I could afford a full time nanny.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,132 times
Hey Jessa. I graduated from northwest nannies institute this past feb. It was a great school and I learned a lot. But be prepared, its a lot of work...a lot harder than I ever thought it would be. But it was well worth it. I had a blast and met a LOT of great girls!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:28 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
If this school is like similar ones teaching other skills, it would seem to me that once you are approaching graduation the school will make efforts to help place you. It would also seem to me that if the school is located in Portland, then there must be families in the area that make use of their graduates.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
If this school is like similar ones teaching other skills, it would seem to me that once you are approaching graduation the school will make efforts to help place you. It would also seem to me that if the school is located in Portland, then there must be families in the area that make use of their graduates.

The school offers free job placement for life, and they do have families in the area who use their services... in fact, some of those families offer themselves to be host families for out of town students to stay with in exchange for 10 hours of childcare a week. I should be finding out about my family in the next few days. I really hope they are a good fit for me and that we get along well. I am so excited!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland