Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would move to Portland again.

Be aware that many graduates of OHSU, physicians doing internships and residencies in Portland metro, choose to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 01:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Just a quibble. ... Forest Park is big but it’s not even close to being the largest park in a US city. ...it’s not even in the top 10.
Not to quibble, but the vast majority of the parks noted in the article are not 'encompassed' within the given metro areas. Close-by?, sometimes. Regional / annexed for the given purpose (to meet 'greenbelt' requirements) sometimes...

it's a CA / TX thing (Size matters a LOT to them )

I suspect OP is on a 'seeking quest', so responded accordingly.

Please do the statistical research important to you BEFORE signing up for..."Would you still move to Portland?"

Size is not of top importance to many We don't have to be FIRST / best / biggest / most prideful in everything (A PNW thing, rather opposed to CA / TX things).

Enjoy the quest, but you really gotta 'show-up' to find your spot... (and if you fit).

Old 07-25-2018, 03:21 PM

145 posts, read 265,002 times
Yes, I moved here recently - after being gone for 17 years. It sure has changed, but I still love it here!

Old 07-25-2018, 04:24 PM

14 posts, read 15,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Yes, I would move to Portland again.

Be aware that many graduates of OHSU, physicians doing internships and residencies in Portland metro, choose to stay.
That's a pretty great indicator! I imagine residency spots are quite competitive. I can only imagine the challenges the Portland healthcare system must face, especially with so many people out without a home. There must be a great strain on the city's ERs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not to quibble, but the vast majority of the parks noted in the article are not 'encompassed' within the given metro areas. Close-by?, sometimes. Regional / annexed for the given purpose (to meet 'greenbelt' requirements) sometimes...

I suspect OP is on a 'seeking quest', so responded accordingly.

Please do the statistical research important to you BEFORE signing up for..."Would you still move to Portland?"

Size is not of top importance to many We don't have to be FIRST / best / biggest / most prideful in everything (A PNW thing, rather opposed to CA / TX things).

Enjoy the quest, but you really gotta 'show-up' to find your spot... (and if you fit).
'Seeking quest' is the perfect name for this multi-year data vacuuming I've been doing, heh.
As for the park: there's a new movie out, 'Leave No Trace', where a father and daughter hide out in a "vast urban park in Portland", which I assume can only be Forest Park. I guess that's a testament to its expanse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi527 View Post
Yes, I moved here recently - after being gone for 17 years. It sure has changed, but I still love it here!
Glad to hear you love it! Are there any big changes from the early 2000s that you like in particular?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:48 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

This is false. I know, when I was an Portlander I had the inferiority complex too, and I believed in the hype that Portland was special and the best... but there's nothing there that isn't bigger or better somewhere else. (sorry!). Also, Forest Park isn't really a park, its mostly a steep long hill covered in forest stretching out of reach of most people in the city.

This reminds me when we went to Houston (still living in Oregon) and found vast beautiful urban parks with no tents, people harrassing me for money or apparent drug use. Myths were shattered many times on that trip...

Old 07-25-2018, 05:01 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
To answer the question. Yes. We would move here again. In fact we just did two years ago. I grew up in Oregon and went to college in Portland. I moved away in 1986 to join the Peace Corps and wound up in grad school in Seattle after I returned to the US so haven’t lived here since 1986 but still visited on occasion. So I had lots of college years memories of Portland from the early to mid 1980s and still have family around here. The Place has REALLY changed since the mid 1980s.

When my wife and I left Texas two years ago we had the option of moving anywhere we wanted in the country and we chose to move back to the Portland area. We ended up both landing jobs in Vancouver so we live across the river in Camas. But it is still Portland metro area. Over a two year period we explored Denver, SLC, Minneapolis, Fort Collins, Albuquerque, Boise, Spokane, Olympia, Bellingham, and my old home town of Eugene before settling on the Portland area.

Great place to live if you can afford it and have employment. But for young people starting out in many careers I think there are easier places to make a start, especially in a lot of careers. You hear lots of whining here about the homeless and such. But frankly it doesn’t affect us. We frequently bike on the Springwater Trail and other trails around town and are never hassled. My youngest daughter and I like to walk for fitness so weekends we park and do walking tours all over Portland and never get hassled. Last weekend we parked near Powell’s in the Pearl and did a big walking tour through the Pearl and up into the NW Portland Nob Hill and Goose Hollow areas. Only saw one homeless guy crossing the freeway. Other than that it was a perfectly enjoyable urban walk. Was just in Seattle two weeks ago. That city seems more ragged than Portland frankly. At least around the Roosevelt area where we were.

At our age most of our friends are work colleagues or parents of our kids friends that we have bonded with. But that is pretty much the case anywhere you live when you reach mid life. So I can’t really say what it is like to make friends if you are young and single. Get involved with stuff is probably the best way to do that rather than hanging out in bars and cafes hoping to meet people.

Last edited by texasdiver; 07-25-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 10:10 AM

353 posts, read 437,378 times
haha. "saw only one homeless guy." you must be blind. But, then again, you don't live in Portland.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigenface View Post
That's a pretty great indicator! I imagine residency spots are quite competitive. I can only imagine the challenges the Portland healthcare system must face, especially with so many people out without a home. There must be a great strain on the city's ERs...

'Seeking quest' is the perfect name for this multi-year data vacuuming I've been doing, heh.
As for the park: there's a new movie out, 'Leave No Trace', where a father and daughter hide out in a "vast urban park in Portland", which I assume can only be Forest Park. I guess that's a testament to its expanse.

Glad to hear you love it! Are there any big changes from the early 2000s that you like in particular?
What are you looking for? Looking for a Social life or the arts? Go to Denver. Or would rather go hiking, biking, and take nice weekend trips to coast or mountains? Then, this is the area for you.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:32 PM

333 posts, read 328,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigenface View Post
I'd love to vacation to Portland and get a taste of the place, but I just can't make time. I wind up prowling forums, trying to gather enough info and make the right choice. I can have a plan, but making the decision to make that move feels like a leap of faith.
I wouldn't look to online forums to get a clear impression of Portland. Online comments skew negative, while Portland skews positive. Portland is a unique place that is not for everyone. The only way you can really know if you'd like to live here would be to come for even a short weekend visit (preferably in winter, so you can see the predominant weather pattern).

Old 07-28-2018, 04:26 AM

2,264 posts, read 971,995 times
I got my engineering degree ‘94 from a top ten university. In ‘98 my employer sent me to Taiwan to open an engineering and sourcing office and in 2000 I started an engineering and manufacturing business with two Taiwanese partners. I returned to the U.S. in 2015 for my son’s education and bought a house in the Portland area. During the sixteen years I ran a business in Taiwan I acquired a dozen iU.S. patents and many more non-US patents. I lheaded the engineering design and manufacturing launch of dozens of successful, mass produced products and became fluent in Mandarin Chinese in the process. I did business solo on factory floors throughout Taiwan and China. When we returned to the U.S. in 2015 I didn’t need to work so I spent the year brushing up on engineering skills in GD&T and finite elements analysis. By 2016 I was ready to return to work and put out dozens of resumes, which I continued to do through 2017. After applying to nearly every company in the Portland area in my field I have yet to land a single interview. Fortunately I don’t need to work but if my experience is any indication the job market for engineers in a Portland is skewed in a way I have yet to understand. In 2018 I gave up on the Portland job market and returned to working remotely with my extensive supplier base in Taiwan developing new products. I’d still land in Portland if I had to do it over because my son loves his school but when he’s done I’m outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland