Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:04 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunatus View Post
Thanks all!

texasdiver, a resounding yes on vegan places!
These are the vegan places that we like the best.

The Sudra: The Sudra casual place with a bar that serves vaguely Indian inspired bowls and dishes. During the summer months they open the big doors to sidewalk seating.

Epif: https://www.epifpdx.com/ Chilean cuisine. You can get a variety of Chilean and South American dishes including Chilean empanadas. They also have a bar and serve Pisco Sour.

AVIV: Aviv - Israeli inspired plant based fare. Israeli restaurant that serves traditional middle eastern fare like falafel, hummous, pita bread, and vegan versions of other traditional middle eastern dishes. They also have a bar and live music on weekends.

Kati Thai: Official Kati Portland | View and Order Online Thai restaurant on division that serves vegetarian and vegan versions of all your favorite Thai dishes.

Maruti Restaurant: https://www.maruti-restaurant.com/ Your go-to place for vegan Indian fare. There are a couple other Indian restarants in the metro area that also do primarily or exclusively vegetarian fare. This is the only one we have tried and it is good.

Ichiza Kitchen: https://www.ichizakitchen.com/ This is in SW near Providence Park so our go-to place for dining before Timbers games. It's a Japanese tea house with a variety of pan-Asian type small dishes.

There are dozens more good vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Portland. I tend to prefer ones that don't try to make vegan versions of traditional meat foods. Like vegan burgers, vegan steaks, vegan fried chicken, vegan meatloaf, etc. I kind of don't see the point and they usually aren't as good as the original except for some of the really good veggie burgers. I like restaurants that build up interesting foods from scratch and aren't trying to make meat-free versions of meat dishes.

What I haven't found yet is a really top quality vegetarian Mexican place. There must be some. And there are a variety of places with vegan options. But to my knowledge, no one has tackled vegan Mexican or Tex-Mex. I guess just too much focus on cheese and meat in Mexican fare to do that easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 11:06 AM

478 posts, read 881,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post

What I haven't found yet is a really top quality vegetarian Mexican place. There must be some. And there are a variety of places with vegan options. But to my knowledge, no one has tackled vegan Mexican or Tex-Mex. I guess just too much focus on cheese and meat in Mexican fare to do that easily.
Los Gorditos Perla on 9th and Davis downtown has an entire vegan menu (I think their other locations do as well.) Their onion tacos are amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland