Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,626 times

Advertisements

I am a property manager in portland OR who was recently fired from my job without any real reason.I am living on site and my rent is part of my pay and deducted form each bi-monthly paycheck. My former supervisor fired me on Tuesday and gave me until Sunday to be gone. Can he do this or does he have to give me a written notice? So far I have no written notice from him. I asked him to please at least let me and my kids stay until Christmas. He said he would "make a call" but I've heard nothing. Is he going to show up and lock me out?? I have nowhere to go and I do not want my kids to spend Christmas in a shelter. Please any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 11:25 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
I suspect you have two separate legal issues going on.

First, with respect to your firing. Unless you have a specific employment contract that your employer violated I suspect they have the right to fire you at any time.

Second, with respect to getting evicted. I don't think it matters at all that your rent was part of your employement. You are still protected by the same laws that protect all renters. They will have to go through the legal process to evict you. I'm no expert here but I believe in Portland they have to give you 90 days notice for a no-cause eviction and a 30 day notice for eviction for cause (failure to pay rent). https://www.osbar.org/public/legalin...ionNotices.htm

I'm sure others can chime in here with much better information. But it seems to me that if you are willing to pay the rent that is no longer being taken out of your paycheck then you should have at least 90 days AFTER they give you WRITTEN notice. But you'd have to be paying them rent on the apartment to have that right. If you aren't paying rent then they can have you out much faster.

I would tell the owner that the law entitles you to 90 days written notice before eviction and that since the rent is no longer coming out of your paycheck he should give you a separate rental invoice for that time period.

I expect there are others on this forum with much better information. But just because you were a property manager doesn't mean you have less rights than other ordinary tenants.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
I would immediately visit an office of the Bureau of Labor and Industries.

Personally, I don't think they can evict you so quickly so while you look for another position stay put.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:02 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Sorry, OP, but your rent was part of your employment package and you have been fired. (laid off?) You don't work there, you don't get to keep the work related apartment.

Get down to the unemployment office ASAP and file for unemployment.

You might be able to get emergency money from one of the local charities for deposit money on a new place to live.

Best luck to you.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Unless you had a separate lease/rental agreement, OWS is probably right, especially if the apartment is specifically designated for management personnel. I've dealt with a similar situation as a property owner and wasn't required to treat the employee as a tenant. There must have was some kind of employee agreement/contract provided to you when you started the job. If it makes it clear that living in the apartment was an essential part of the job, you don't have normal tenants rights. Couldn't hurt to check with a lawyer, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-15-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: